Friday, August 05, 2011

Handspun Friday - What I did with Acapulco!

There will be more to see than to read today. Lots of pictures! I'm tired, but want to get this blog post done anyway.

I've enjoyed spinning this yarn, and even more knitting with it. This is Shaelyn by Leila Raabe. It's a very pretty shawl, and you can make it as big as you like. It get's a bit long in the tooth, but this time, the yarn dictated how big it got. I ran out of yarn with half the bind off row done, so I got out the second skein and wound the orange color, and broke it off. I later used the blueish parts for the second color for the mittens down below.
Shaelyn

This shawl turned out rather small, but I love it. The colorway is called "Acapulco".

size: 24inch x 54inch
needle size: 4mm
I've knit it in three days, because I could not put it down. I wanted to see the yarn unfold.

Shaelyn

Shaelyn

Shaelyn

FCK-Aca Pulco I & II-total of 785yds-n-plied-Falkland-1

So, here are the finished mittens. The right one is the one I knit last. The tip is a bit better, more rounded. I don't like the mouse ears on the left one. I still like the mittens though, they are soft, and warm, and fit my hands very well.
FCK mittens

For these mittens I've used my own handspun yarn, Henry (like the socks), and Acapulco, both on Falkland fiber.

FCK mittens

I've cast on for my August socks. The choice was very hard this time. I've already finished the first sock, no pictures yet, but I think they are cute. Should be Valentines socks, you'll see what I mean soon.
Alright, another weekend is ahead of us. Have a great one!

***

15 comments:

Ann said...

I love the shawl!
What beautiful colors!
And the design is lovely.

Alexandra said...

Wow! The shawl is beautiful! The pattern looks great with the stripes. I love the mittens too, so pretty :) Have a wonderful weekend!

cauchy09 said...

your spinning and knitting are always impeccable. these are also breathtaking! the orange and blue combo is one of my faves.

congrats!

momsue84 said...

Beautiful Shaelyn! I love that pattern and will knit another one soon. Got to learn mittens this Fall, too. Have a good weekend!

2paw said...

It is a beautiful shawl and the way the colour changes from blue to orange is just so lovely.
Such great mittens and I am glad they keep your hands warm!!

Martina said...

Very good job! I love the shawl and the mittens too!

Sharon said...

Great shawl! Does it make up for the one that "Grumpy" ate?

Watching handpainted handspun unfold into a garment is truly a remarkable sight. One never knows what one will get.

In this case, you got a great shawl.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

That's a very pretty shawl. I have it favourited, but it wasn't high on my list until now.

Karen said...

Beautiful! I especially love the photo on the patio table - having those two textures contrast is just brilliant.

I just had one of those bindoff moments myself, with a one skein shawlette using Silk Garden Sock. I managed to find an entirely different yarn with lengthy color changes where the color at one end of the ball worked out. Now what to do with most of a ball of Regia Hand Dye Effect?

Beverly said...

They are all lovely. I especially like the color changes in the shawl.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Your yarns showcase patterns so beautifully! I must make a pair of mittens in that style ~ I think they looks so warm and fun to wear :)

I'm looking forward to seeing what socks you are working on!

Andi said...

Wow!! Those colors are just amazing! Beautiful work.

Anonymous said...

Utterly stunning shawl!!!! And the mittens are very pretty too.
You are a wonder in both spinning so many beautiful yarns and then knitting extreemly beautiful things with them!

Stephanie said...

The length of each color repeat worked out perfectly with the shawl!

Joanne said...

Your shawl is stunning and I love the colors. This is a color combination that I'm particularly fond of.