Monday, February 12, 2007

Country Bumpkin meets City Slicker!

Back in November 2006 I bought Simply Knitting magazine, issue 21, only because there was a small picture on the cover with this cute little hedgehog fella, called Hibernating Harry. Since I just made (h)adorable Hermann, I knew right away, that I wanted to make Harry as well. Well, times goes by so quickly, but finally I did it.

The designer, Alan Dart, promised hours of knitting pleasure, but forgot to mention hours of sewing (pleasure?). No wonder! Make something out of this pile of knit pieces and all those ends.
I made a huge mistake in assembling Harry. Because I didn't come to this project with an open mind. I made Hermann, and thought this one had to be constructed in a similar way. Hence the mistake. You see, his fuzzy back was not supposed to be sewed on, like I did in this picture, and then stuffed. It was supposed to be sewed on later, after the body was done!!! Didn't read the fine print, and didn't take my own advise, to read through the whole pattern before I started. Well, that's one reason my little Harry is on the bald side, and he's fat!


As soon as I realized my mistake, I lost all drive to finish him, but Hannah said, Harry is cute, and I should finish and love him. He has his own charm, with his lop-sides head and his drunken stance, but with a winning smile, don't you think? And he can stand on his own! It was a delicate balance to give him legs and as you can see above, with no arms, he had that balance. After he got his dressing gown, the balance was somewhat off, hence the dorky pose.
Somehow he reminds me more of a Kiwi bird, then a hedgehog, but that's O.K. I'm not a doll making expert, and never will be. At first I thought I'll make another one, this time correct, but I don't feel like sewing tiny pieces together, right now. And one other thing, better not spoken off too loud, because there was a fatality in the making of Hibernating Harry. Ever wonder where he's got his eyes from? ;o)
I hope I don't come down with something. I sure could use a hot water bottle right now and a cuppa tea!
P.S. Hannah also suggested making him a wig. ;o)

18 comments:

sgeddes said...

So cute! My pup would be trying to claim that as a chew toy.

meg said...

too freaking cute!!

Sheila said...

They are so cute. I saw one hedgie knit like the one on the left in hot neon colors! Both are fun. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Oh my - Harry is so cute - I LOVE his bath robe and is that a teeny hot water bottle he's holding??? If you hadn't said anything - no one would have known about Harry's little problems!

Anonymous said...

Harry is adorable! He has his own personality. I think you did a great job on him because he has his own special appeal.
Punkin

shannon said...

Harry is darling! They both rae, really. I do like the bath robe quite a bit. :)

Anonymous said...

way cute!

Anonymous said...

Hallo Monika,
Harry ist der Hammer!! Ich brech´ hier zusammen vor Lachen: Der Bademantel und die Wärmflasche! Genial - mir fehlen einfach die Worte....

Bis bald und LG Heike

ZiZi said...

Ach sind das zwei süsse Kerlchen!
Da hat sich die Mühe aber echt gelohnt!!!!

Liebe Grüsse - ZiZi

Strickfimmel said...

Ich lach mich schlapp! Dein Harry ist und sein Freund sind Dir super gelungen. Die vielen kleinen Details sind allerliebst. Super Arbeit!!

Anonymous said...

Awww...what a cutie. Toys are so fiddly to knit, but the finished item is worth it.

Kris B said...

Even though he is fat and balding we still love him :). Very cute.

Knitted Zebra said...

He is adorable!!! The both are!!

Martina said...

Harry is a hunk! Drunk looking and everything!

Violiknit said...

He's totally cute! Looks like a college professor!

hakucho said...

Very cute...I give you lots of credit for following through and finishing him...I would be turned off by all that sewing. He turned out just great!

happy knitting :)

Alicia said...

Too cute!! You look like an expert to me.

Mariella said...

Oh my! Those guys are just so cute! I wish I had the patience to knit up so many little pieces and put them together. You did great!