Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Dangan

front yard - December 6th

(out in my front yard; we had rain yesterday, but it turned into heavy, sticky snow in the evening; there was still some left this morning)

I've signed up for 11 shawls in 2011 (on raverly) at the beginning of the year. You can knit as many shawls as you like during the year, but only enter 11 shawls for the draw. I didn't enter anything in February, and still have to enter my 11th shawl for December, but I can tell you already, that I've WON twice so far!
The unbelievable thing about that is, that it was from the same sponsor! What are the odds of that?

There are always hundreds of entries, and many different, generous sponsors, so that was surprising to me.

I'm quite happy though, because Asa Tricosa (here's the rav link to her design page has lovely patterns to choose from.

First time I won, I choose Io-fliptop fingerless mitts and this time I choose the Zenaura shawl. It was a hard choice to make.
Maybe I'll win a third time for my December entry? That would be a hoot!

***

Oh, and by the way, if you want to be generous, you could vote for my project here. It's Dangan the blanket, which didn't make it on my blog yet. (No better time then the present, pictures to follow.)

And if you feel really generous, you could go and vote for Kelly's darling T in her Rossbeg sweater here. All you have to do is click the LOVE button. Vote is open until Friday.

***

Dangan by Carol Feller: such a lovely design! It started out to be a large size blanket, but I got incredible bored knitting it, so I cut the edging short. It's coffee table sized now. I hated knitting with this yarn. To my total surprise, this is the first yarn, which really softened beautifully after washing, and the smell was gone too. I wish it were a little bigger, but I didn't want to be miserable knitting it any longer. So that's it.

Dangan

It's 44 inches square. I fudged at the ends of the cables in the corners, because I didn't have the right amount of stitches, since I aborted the project early.

Dangan

Dangan

Another surprise was, when I folded it in half, the triangle left the cable as a lovely edge.

Dangan

yarn: Lion Brand Fishermen's Wool, 1.25 skeins = 582yds; (loose twisted yarn, smelly, but what a surprise after washing)
needle: 4.5mm circs
size after blocking: 44" x 44"

***

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used the fisherman's wool for a sweater, and while I wouldn't call it my favorite yarn ever, it wasn't that bad. I don't remember it smelling, and it softened up a little, especially after I put a little conditioner in with the water. It holds the shape of the lace in the sweater really well, too. But your blanket/shawl is really pretty, too! Congrats on finishing, and on persevering with a yarn you hated!

momsue84 said...

I voted!!

Susan said...

Voted for yours and Kelly's! I honestly liked them the best.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Very nice - though admittedly, I'm partial to feather and fan.

When Dave left work in Brampton last night he said it was snowing, by the time he got to my house - just rain.

Pat said...

I love it folded into a triangle!

Off to vote...

CelticCastOn said...

It still turned out great shortened and I love it folded over!

Sharon said...

Wow! I voted 'love' because I love the shawl. I wouldn't use fisherman's wool for anything because it's just not soft enough, but it sure is sturdy and has good stitch definition.

Good job, lovely shawl and congrats on your wins!

ikki said...

Done, lovely shawl!

And hug to "my" Denny :)

2paw said...

Congratulations on your wins and I can love it worn as a shawl, how clever you are. It has a fan club too!!!

knottygnome said...

that first photo is just gorgeous.

i voted for you!

Virginia G said...

Looks lovely! I haven't knitted with fisherman's wool yet, because the feel of it in the skein scares me. Good to know that it softens up a bit.

I LOVE the cables on the edge of that shawl/blanket. It's gorgeous.

monica said...

Another beautiful shawl! Every time you finish something I want to immediately throw down what I'm currently knitting and cast on for what you just finished! :)

Tina said...

Love the construction of this shawl! And it is really funny to see "our" coffee table in your living room :-)
Snow?! 12°C over here this morning... rain and wind