Friday, March 27, 2009

Handspun Friday - Team Spirit

Even though I have been spinning during the last two weeks, I haven't actually finished any yarn. This one's the last one to show from the time BEFORE I decided to start Handspun Friday. I always try to fill all my bobbins, before I start to ply, and lately it seemed to take forever to fill them! So if I want to have to show you something for next week, I better get going.

Team Spirit

I've got this fiber at Christmas 2007. It's FatCatKnits fiber. I have several colorways in my stash. I like her stuff, but haven't bought anything new lately. I liked this particular colorway, because it has one of my favorite color combinations: orange and blue.

Team Spirit, merino-tencel, 323yds, 16WPI-2

I could not imagine how it would look spun up, and once again was pleasantly surprised by the outcome. Since it's merino/tencel blend it's a bit shiny too, me likes! :o)

Team Spirit II

***

fiber: 70% Merino, 30% Tencel, 4oz
source: FatCatKnit's Handpainted Fibers and Yarn
yardage: ~ 323yds
plying method: 2-ply
WPI: average 16

Team Spirit, merino-tencel, 323yds, 16WPI-3

***
I've also tried dyeing yarn cakes again. This time it's worsted weight yarn. I wound it very loosely, but the color didn't penetrate further any better than the last time. To my surprise it looks almost the same as my first try, even though I used "Sugar Plum" & "Blueberry" last time, and this time "Sugar Plum" & "Deep Purple". Where did the purple go?

self dyed KnitPicks Bare merino, worsted weight-2 skeins-2

I like sheep, I really do.

Because, you know I also dyed this "Deep Purple" lace weight yarn, and it IS purple. Mystery to me! I overdyed this purple yarn with black, to take the purple down a notch. At least that's what I wanted but once again, where did the black go? Dyeing is very interesting (and time consuming). I will continue to dabble in it. :o)

self dyed deep purple lace weight yarn-2

20 comments:

angela said...

Oh, yummy. How do you ever find the time??! I've got some yak and silk going but try to knit in the evenings. Great inspirational pictures!

momsue84 said...

I love the handspun, again. And dying has got to be next on your list of accomplishments. I can see you dabbling more and more, and then, viola! your own store.

GoldenTracks said...

The worsted yarn cakes may not be purple but I love them....UNC Tarheel Blue and white!
The purple lace weight is heavenly.
I'm with Sue....do we see your own store in the future????????

Marianne said...

Oh yeah, lovin' the blue and orange!
I also love how your dyed yarn cakes turned out! That purple is yummy with the blue in there also? mmmm.

Toby said...

Lovely yarn! I have yet to try dying or spinning. I definitely see a spindle in my future though as I am just fascinated by the fiber to yarn transition.

sgeddes said...

Very interesting dying results! I really like how the worsted weight came out. I like how the yarn took up the dye. The color looks good on this end.
I like the handspinning! It is a challenge to have a new skein every Friday though.

Learner Ros said...

I love that Deep Purple!!!!

Dreams of Yarn said...

Lovely Spinning! And the dye pot is a funny place isnt it? I give up on dyeing for a little while. I'll just keep supplied through Maggie :P

Päivi, Lankakomero said...

Your Deep Purple is gorgeous! Wonderful shade.

Dave said...

Mmmm, lovely yarn -- absolutely wonderful colours!

Claudia Bugh said...

Your spinning is just beautiful! I also love the dying you are trying. This Summer a LYS in San Clemente is going to have a dying class and I so hope I'll be able to go!

Cute sheep - must look for those myself :)))

Beverly said...

I love deep colors and the shade of purple is devine. I also like the worsted weight. Nice shades of blues.

Angelika said...

What yummy yarn (and sheep :)). I love the purple, but there is no surprise there.

Bea said...

Hallo Monika,

das Lila Garnhäufchen sieht absolut klasse aus.

Beim Malen gibt es übrigens fürs Schattieren eine Regel:
Nehme die Grundfarbe + ein wenig von der Komplementärfarbe + ein wenig blau.

Auf die Garnfärberei und auf lila angewandt hieße das: gelb mit ein ganz klein wenig blau, weil das lila ja bereits im Garn vorhanden ist und nicht mehr mitgemischt werden muss wie mit dem Pinsel bei einem Bild. Gelb + wenig blau das wäre ein gelbstichiges Grün.
Das hätte ich als erstes versucht als Abschwächfarbe (an einem kleinen Probefädchenstück) bevor ich zu schwarz gegriffen hätte.
Schwarz benutze ich nur ganz, ganz selten.

Außerdem kommt es auch auf das Schwarz an. Schwarz ist ja eine Additionsfarbe, die man mit viel Mühe aus dem Zusammenmischen aller Grundfarben erreichen könnte (könnte, ich mach das auch nicht, ist schnöde Theorie). Also, wenn du eine schwarze Tinte auf ein Löschblatt gibst und von unten Wasser aufsaugst, dann wird das Entmischungsergebnis eben oft auch Lila.
Es mag sein, dass das von dir verwendete Schwarz in Verdünnung lilastichig wird statt hellgrau. Das kommt auf den Hersteller an, manchmal ist das so. In diesem Fall würde das dann halt in starker Verdünnung optisch in deinem lila Grundton verschwinden.

Falls du meinen hellgrün-Tipp ausprobieren möchtest, dann bitte an einem kleine Stück der Wolle. Ich hab hier nur schnöde Theorie abgelassen. Aber ich färbe nach dieser Farbtheorie. Und in der Regel bekomme ich auch das heraus, was ich mir vorgestellt habe. Und ich weiß ja wenn ich hier schreibe nicht, welchen Farbton du dir genau vorgestellt hast wenn du "abdämpfen" schreibst.

susannasplace said...

Ich bewundere immer wieder, was Du aus einem Knäuel Fasern so zauberst. Himmlisch.

Martina said...

Wunderful colours and lovely yarn!

Ann said...

Wow - love the deep purple!

Bea said...

ich hab gerade eben lila gefärbt und revidiere meine Aussage von gestern :-)

Du brauchst zum Abdämpfen von lila nur gelb, kein grün - klar, das blau ist ja schon im lila drin.

Monica aka Gloria Patre said...

I really like the semi-dyed effect! I'd love to learn how to do it!

hannah said...

I love all three yarns. Nice colours!