Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Working with left over handspun yarns

I had a lot of left over yarns from my handspun Old Forge blanket # 3. I really don't like to have handspun left overs, since it's so much work to make yarn. I don't feel the same about commercial left over yarn.

I wanted to use it up as much as possible, and started with a Windhelm hat, which became two Windhelm hats, because, you know, left over yarn, and it was so much fun to knit this pattern.

handspun Windhelm

handspun Windhelm II

I was beginning to think this yarn would never end, because, you guessed it, there was still left over yarn, so I made some mittens.

FCK left over yarn handspun mittens

FCK left over yarn handspun mittens

I only had a little of the Aqua blue yarn left, so I added it to the mittens. The yarn was heavy worsted weight, and the mittens are thick and warm. There's only a couple of yards left now, nothing I can use for knitting, so I think I'm done with this, and can move on.

5 comments:

knottygnome said...

i feel the same way you do about handspun leftovers. usually i try to use them in motif blankets, like granny squares. i have to be in the right mood to do it though.

herta said...

Monika, die Mützen und Fäustlinge sehen ja toll aus.

Grüße aus dem Mühlviertel

Herta

a creative being said...

Well you sure made the best of those left overs! Two hats AND a pair of mittens? I'd say mission accomplished! :)
xo,
wink

Lynn One, Purl Two said...

LOVE those mittens! so beautiful Monika!

Walden said...

Love the colors! I can understand about wanting to utilize all of it though.