Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Working with left over handspun yarns

I had a lot of left over yarns from my handspun Old Forge blanket # 3. I really don't like to have handspun left overs, since it's so much work to make yarn. I don't feel the same about commercial left over yarn.

I wanted to use it up as much as possible, and started with a Windhelm hat, which became two Windhelm hats, because, you know, left over yarn, and it was so much fun to knit this pattern.

handspun Windhelm

handspun Windhelm II

I was beginning to think this yarn would never end, because, you guessed it, there was still left over yarn, so I made some mittens.

FCK left over yarn handspun mittens

FCK left over yarn handspun mittens

I only had a little of the Aqua blue yarn left, so I added it to the mittens. The yarn was heavy worsted weight, and the mittens are thick and warm. There's only a couple of yards left now, nothing I can use for knitting, so I think I'm done with this, and can move on.

5 comments:

knottygnome said...

i feel the same way you do about handspun leftovers. usually i try to use them in motif blankets, like granny squares. i have to be in the right mood to do it though.

Herta Haunschmid /quer durchs leben said...

Monika, die Mützen und Fäustlinge sehen ja toll aus.

Grüße aus dem Mühlviertel

Herta

Anonymous said...

Well you sure made the best of those left overs! Two hats AND a pair of mittens? I'd say mission accomplished! :)
xo,
wink

Lynn One, Purl Two said...

LOVE those mittens! so beautiful Monika!

Walden said...

Love the colors! I can understand about wanting to utilize all of it though.