Saturday, December 08, 2012

Cookies!

My DD visits on her days off, and we decided to do some baking last time she was here. If nothing else, I like to bake simple sugar cookies. Many will know the recipe, but for those who don't I'll write it down here. It's the same one my grandmother used, and my mother, and now my daughter knows how to bake them too.
Here's my batch. I like stars best, and since I don't like eating cookies with decoration on them, I don't do it.

simple sugar cookies

DD wanted more flavor, and added some dried Lavender to her feet.  No stinky feet around here!

sugar cookies with lavender


baking cookies

Denny is waiting for something to fall off the counter. But lets be honest, he needs to eat dough like I need a hole in my head. In the spirit of the season, he still got the left overs though.

waiting for left over dough

Simple Sugar cookies: makes about one baking sheet full of cookies. I always double the recipe.

250grams all purpose flour
120grams unsalted butter
70grams sugar
a pinch of salt
1 small egg
grated rind of half a lemon (dried Lavender if you like it, a little bit goes a long way)

Put the flour on your cleaned counter, add salt, and cut in the cold butter. Add the sugar, and lemon rind. Make a mount of it all, and dig a little dimple, then add the egg. Carefully cut it all together with a knife, and then knead it fast with your hands. If it doesn't want to stick together add a few drops of milk (or whip cream). Form a ball, put it into the fridge for 1/2 - 1 hour.

Roll out the dough (which will be hard as a stone at first) to a thickness you like, cut out the cookies, and bake at 325F in a convection oven, and 350F in an ordinary oven. Bake about 15 minutes, depending on how thick you cut them out. Out of the oven put them on a cooling rack. They benefit if they can stay in a tin box for a couple of days before eating, but lets be honest, who can wait that long?

Enjoy!

♥♥ ♥

6 comments:

Sharon said...

I can smell the cookies from here! If only I was in Canada ...

Froggy said...

Thanks for the recipe! Can not wait to make few for my son!
Greetings from Ireland

Lynn One, Purl Two said...

They look beautiful! So much love to you- and the lovely H! xo

Unknown said...

What do you feed your dogs? Have you ever thought about doing a raw diet for them? I know you have had health issues in the past with your shepherds and I'm so sorry. My lab just had an emergency surgery to remove his spleen with a large mass. So far, it's benign luckily, but I believe a non processed food, like raw helps prevent health issues. My blog is glutenfreeknittinghawkeye.blogspot.com. Btw, I adore your blog. How long have you been spinning? I own a lendrum and love it, but wish I was better.

Mrs. A said...

Thank you for sharing you recipe! Your cookies turn out beautifully.

sandrajager said...

Mmm, thanks for including the recipe, Monika. I'll have to try these.