Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Even more smittens ....

For my birthday, I've got a surprise gift from Ginny FatCatKnits. It was a Batt Pack for carding.

FCK-my birthday gift from Ginny-batt pack-3.4oz-Corriedale fleece, firestar, mohair locks, merino-tencel top, Tussah silk

A couple of days ago, I was a bit bored with what I had on the needles, and with what I had planned to spin next (probably too many options). So I grabbed my hand carders and got out the batt pack to play with.

I loaded up the carders like that, and made rolags. The pack contained Mohair locks, green sparkly Firestar, Merino/Tencel, Tussah Silk, and Corriedale fleece.

FCK-my birthday gift from Ginny-batt pack-2.6oz-Corriedale fleece, firestar, mohair locks, merino-tencel top, Tussah silk-carded-chain plied-140yds-10

I didn't add the same amount of everything on each carder, so the rolags looked different. The only thing on every go around, was the Firestar.

FCK-my birthday gift from Ginny-batt pack-2.6oz-Corriedale fleece, firestar, mohair locks, merino-tencel top, Tussah silk-carded-chain plied-140yds-9

I was a bit uncomfortable for a while, because I thought I was being watched, until I spied Rudolph!

I spun semi woolen again, and chain plied it. It turned out a little bit overtwisted, but I had not trouble knitting with the finished yarn.
 FCK-my birthday gift from Ginny-batt pack-2.6oz-Corriedale fleece, firestar, mohair locks, merino-tencel top, Tussah silk-carded-chain plied-140yds

The real colors are somewhere between these two pictures.

FCK-my birthday gift from Ginny-batt pack-2.6oz-Corriedale fleece, firestar, mohair locks, merino-tencel top, Tussah silk-carded-chain plied-140yds

Here's the yarn cake, ready to be knit into even more smittens!

FCK-my birthday gift from Ginny-batt pack-2.6oz-Corriedale fleece, firestar, mohair locks, merino-tencel top, Tussah silk-carded-chain plied-140yds



I've got ~ 140yds, and made seven mittens, with just a little bit left over. So I guess you'll need about 20yds for one mitten, on 3.75mm needles.

I guess I was not quite done with smittens, but now I think I've got them out of my system.
 
FCK-my birthday gift from Ginny-batt pack-2.6oz-Corriedale fleece, firestar, mohair locks, merino-tencel top, Tussah silk-carded-chain plied-140yds-Christmas tree ornaments

FCK-my birthday gift from Ginny-batt pack-2.6oz-Corriedale fleece, firestar, mohair locks, merino-tencel top, Tussah silk-carded-chain plied-140yds-Christmas tree ornaments

FCK-my birthday gift from Ginny-batt pack-2.6oz-Corriedale fleece, firestar, mohair locks, merino-tencel top, Tussah silk-carded-chain plied-140yds-Christmas tree ornaments

FCK-my birthday gift from Ginny-batt pack-2.6oz-Corriedale fleece, firestar, mohair locks, merino-tencel top, Tussah silk-carded-chain plied-140yds-Christmas tree ornaments

Alright, that's it. They are hanging on the Christmas tree, and I can dust off my hands, and move on to my next project.

We are still waiting for snow by the way, and even frozen ground would be appreciated. The pups don't care either way, but I do.
Happy's Fall cleanup - not-Nov. 8-21

Happy is in heaven, hiding his chew toys,

Happy's Fall cleanup - not-Nov. 8-22

while Denny is spoiling his fun.

Happy's Fall cleanup - not-Nov. 8-23




4 comments:

Sharon said...

I'm always wondering what to do with my hand painted homespun when ther isn't enough to do what I planned. Now I know! Your mittens are now heirlooms.

Bonita said...

A really, really cute project. I love seeing how you document your projects step by step from fleece to finished. I just learned to spin last year and have learned so much from reading your blog. Thank you so much and Merry Christmas!

Lenard said...

half a meter of snow here! -5 and of course it will be all grey and slushy on Christmas (I would be extremely surprised if it was the other way around!)
oh, your yarns are soooo beautiful :-)
and hugz for the dogz! :-)

Wanderingcatstudio said...

More cute mittens!

I hope we get some snow soon - at least for Christmas!