Sunday, December 05, 2010

test knitting

I've put everything I've been working on aside, to test knit "Birdwing" for Stephen West. I love his designs, they are different, and definitely keep your interest. I love garter stitch, but my mind keeps wandering off, which resulted in a lot of tinking back, because I forgot an increase or two. But at the end of the rows I always wake up again, remember and rip back.
Birdwing in progress-1

I'm using Jared Floods "Shelter" yarn. It's light worsted weight yarn, woolen spun. I'm using "Tent", "Fossil", and "Woodsmoke"colorways. This yarn breaks easily apart if you tuck a little. Everybody who's knit with it says, it's soft and airy after washing. We'll see.
I've been told that my color choice is a little boring, but I DO love those neutral colors. I love gray, and green especially. But I think I might knit another one, in totally different yarn, and colors. So far it's been fun. It never gets boring. There's always something else to do, and then the color changes, really nice for a change. The green looks awesome!

Birdwing in progress-5
Another project I've on my needles is "Daybreak" also a design by Stephen West. I've had the pattern for a while now, but never got to it. There's so much I'd like to do, and so little time.
***
It finally snowed today, and it actually stayed on the ground, without melting away. The boys had lots of fun today, they LOVE the snow. Little Maggie hates to go outside. She's freezing her butt off, and as soon as we put her down, she turns and runs up the stairs, to the front door, waiting impatiently (scratching the door with her front paw) to get back in. I don't blame her. It's gotten cold, and she's only skin and bones, although she's already grown. She likes to snuggle and tuck her paws in to get warm again. She's a cutie that's for sure.

Nov.30-Maggie 8weeks old

She's 8 weeks old today. Her eyes started turning brown, and she's got a pretty face, not that you can see that in these pictures. It's hard to get nice ones, when she's awake. She's always on the move.
Nov.30-Maggie 8 weeks old

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay --- too much adorable!! I must look away. LOL

Love the pic with her chin on her stuffie puppy.

Kathy... said...

Oh.... I LOVE your color choices! Such a sweet little girl....she needs a sweater. Course she would for sure outgrow it in a minute!

CelticCastOn said...

awww sweet little Maggie, I keep wanting to call her Molly.
I'm interested to see what Birdwing looks like on, I saw his pic on rav and wasn't sure what to think. Love that green!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Oh she is sooooooooooooo darn cute. You just want to smoosh her!

Jewleigh said...

Ooh! I can't wait to see the finished product! And I was also hoping that yarn was good.. I was going to try it out, but I don't know about it breaking easily....

And as ever, Maggie is a doll! I'm excited to be able to see her grow into a beautiful doggy!

2paw said...

I don't know Stephen West, I shall search him out, but I think your colours are beautiful!!
Baby Maggie looks a bit Labradory in that last picture, poor cold little baby, she is inordinately cute!!
It must be nice for Happy and Denny to have a romp outside without her!!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

I don't know which looks softer - Maggie or her plush toy :)

Love the colors you are using for Birdwing ~ neutrals are so wearable and classic. I also have a Stephen West pattern - but don't see getting to in for a while yet :)

Took the weekend off (from raising a puppy) and actually had a decent night's sleep.

Katherinne McKay said...

Isn't that how all puppies are? She looks like she's going to be a beautiful girl when she gets older!

Our puppies get cold during the winter, and we've taken to putting them in sweaters. They hate it when you put them on, but then forget about them once they go outside! They had a really nice selection at our Pet Sense, too.

.. That reminds me.. I need to get a new one for Willow..

Freyalyn said...

She is utterly adorable! We've had snow on the ground for over a week now, and I'm really enjoying the lack of mud and grub when my two come in after playing madly. Is Maggie pure GSD?

susannasplace said...

Ich spare mir einen Kommentar zum teststricken und sagen nur:
MEIN GOTT IST DIE SÜSS!... auch wenn es "nur" Davids Hund ist :). Ich wünsche Euch viel Spass mit der Kleinen. Von den Jungs kann sie auf jeden Fall genug Blödsinn lernen :).

Michelle said...

The pattern looks interesting. I haven't knit with my Shelter yet but I'll probably do something before winter is over in the form of mittens for Jon. Such a sweetie. With that downy puppy fur it's no wonder that she's cold! Are the big boys being nice to her?

Nourishing NYC said...

At Nourishing NYC we’re gathering knitted items to give to individuals that do not have a place to keep warm. We deliver these knitted goods along with a hot meal–help us.

http://blog.nourishingnyc.org/2010/12/06/delivering-winter-warmth-with-nourishing-nyc/

Jennifer said...

Beautiful colors and awwwwww, adorable puppy!

Rhonda said...

I agree, too much adorable. Can't wait to see the test knit, and what you think of Jared's yarn. I love both those guys.