Friday, December 10, 2010

Handspun Friday - self dyed fiber

Earlier this year I dyed some fiber, which is my Spring ritual, when I get the urge to dye up something, as soon as it's getting warmer out. A couple of month later I spun these two fibers into yarn, and now I must hurry to get it in in my Handspun Friday's posts, before the year is out.

This is Norwegian fiber, rather course, but good enough for sock yarn. I wanted to keep the colors separate as much as possible, so I navajo plied it. There is one skein with 225yds. I love the aqua color. I should use it more often.
Norwegian
As 225yds is not quite enough for a pair of socks in size 11, I thought I'd spin up some semi solid yarn to go with it. I thought Blueberry would be nice.
Blueberry
I don't know what fiber that is, there was no label in the bag with the fiber. It's softer then Norwegian for sure, but definitely NOT Merino or some such. It was lovely to spin, and I navajo plied this one as well. Unfortunately it turned out squishy after its bath (well that's not the unfortunate part), and a little too thick to combine it with the Norwegian in one project. It's wound into a ball, just waiting for the right project to come along.
***
The boys, relaxing after a hard day of playing in the snow, sleeping, and eating, and sleeping some more.
boys Dec. 3

***

15 comments:

2paw said...

I think there should be more aqua as well!!!
It is such hard work paying, sleeping and eating. Denny sleeps just like Gilly!!

Alexandra said...

Beautiful colors and beautiful yarn!!!

Michelle said...

Love the yarns. I'm glad that you kept the colors separate on the first one so they didn't muddy each other up. Can't wait to see how it knits up so I hope you find a good match for it soon! Oh those silly boys.

Unknown said...

You and gone and done it here. I really must set a goal to learn how to spin in 2011. I have the dye-ing part down, but this takes it one step further for me.

Beautiful color combos,
Kate

knottygnome said...

i like the bright fun yarn, but I LOVE the blueberry! such rich color.

Laurie said...

Lovely yarn...and lovely puppy belly. ;-) Caught up with your blog yesterday - glad you are back in your house again and omgosh...Maggie is beautiful! Congrats on the new arrival (who probably isn't quite so new anymore...).

CelticCastOn said...

I loooove that you kept the colours seperate! Agree with 2paw more aqua!
Love those boys!

Päivi, Lankakomero said...

Both are beautiful but that blueberry one looks wonderful!

Queen of the Tea Cosies said...

AH! It's a dog's life!

beautiful beautiful colours and spinning.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Your spinning is just a work of art!!!! Beautiful - both skeins. I agree it would have made a stunning combo and it' too bad that didn't pan out :(

I wish my pup looked relaxed like that more often - LOL

Carrie#K said...

Denny looks really relaxed.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

That first one is so bright and cheery!

Virginia G said...

Both yarns look truly lovely! I can't wait to see what you knit from them.

And love that the pups are so exhausted. That's a cute photo.

Gloria Patre said...

Gorgeous colors! They will make some funky socks! Too bad about the dark blue but I think you'll want orange cuffs/toes/heels on those socks anyways! LOL!

Stadtwaldvogel said...

Deine handgesponnene Wolle sieht super aus, Monika! Richtig fröhliche Farben. Die Fotos von deinen Hunden sind immer wueder super und lustig! Maggie sieht sehr süß aus in ihrer Fleecejacke.
LG Julia