Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Elphaba mittens

I've finally finished my Elphaba mittens.
Elphaba mittens done

pattern: Elphaba (rav link) by Valerie Johnson
yarn: Wandering Cat Yarns Barn Cat SS in colorway Sleepy Hollow, I used about half the skein, 80% merino 20% nylon
needles: 2.5mm
start-finish: October 27 - December 19
mods: they are fingerless mittens originally, with the chevron stitch pattern all over. I don't need fingerless mittens, and I got bored with the stitch pattern, so I decided to make them full mittens, and knit only in stockinette.

The yarn is self striping, which is nice, not many ends to weave in. I've already been using them. They are good for up to -10C, but I'll need thicker mittens once it's getting colder than that.

***

6 comments:

2paw said...

That's clever to use self-striping wool!! -10, that's very cold. I can't imagine how cold that would even be.

CelticCastOn said...

Lovely! You're rocking the WIPS!

Stadtwaldvogel said...

The mittens turned out wonderful, Monika! They look like little bees. The last pictures of Maggie and her stepbrothers are very cute!
Yours, Julia

Sharon said...

You re-knit those mittens pretty quick! They're lovely.

I should knit mittens too. My son only steals (and loses) my store bought gloves. He wouldn't wear mittens - ever. Too girly, he says.

monica said...

Those fun mittens will be great to use when it's cloudy and dreary outside! I love them!

Virginia G said...

They're really cute! Love that self-striping wool. And great colors.