Friday, January 11, 2008

The need to organize ...

A week ago we went to IKEA. It's been years since I was there. I like their products, but not the shopping experience. Anyway, after putting away Christmas decoration, I wanted to clean up the living room, which is mostly the room I'm working my fiber (magic). :o) In every corner there was a pile of books (and there still are some piles in need of a place on the book shelf). We walked in at IKEA and my son spotted this bookshelf in the first display they had there. I liked it too, so we walked through the whole store, still keeping lookout for a better one, but did not find one. We bought this narrow version, a CD stand, and the wider version of this book shelf. At home we realized that the wider version was a different color. I tried to kick myself, which looked real funny. Once again, I was too trusting. We asked a guy who works there, to find out the number for the wider book shelf, and I told him the color I wanted. He provided us with the number and we got the package. In the future I'll rip open the box to look inside, just to make sure. Anyway, as it turns out, my husband needed a book shelf in his home office as bad as I needed one in the living room. Color matched his other furniture, so all was well, except I was short one shelf.
According to IKEA, they have no idea when they will get new stock of the above mentioned shelf, because they are looking for a new manufacturer for these shelves. - Oooo.Kkkk. I'll wait. Sam the keeper of all my knitting books! That's right, this shelf is full of my knitting books, minus a few scattered around the house. If you come near it, you'll get frightened off by this ghostly face:
Biko's keeping an eye on the keeper. BTW - Biko is lying where the big book shelf was supposed to be.

I've also been knitting, but progress is slow. It's the never ending Feather & Fan Triangle Shawl from Folk Shawl byCheryl Oberle. It's going to be a comfort shawl for a family friend. I'm using Classic Yarns RY Cashsoft DK, which I got half prize ($ 12, now $ 6). Only this color was on sale. It's 57% extra fine merino, 33% microfibre, 10% cashmere. I'm not very impressed with this yarn. It is soft, yes, but there are white parts working loose while knitting, and it will pill tremendously. For the $ 12 for a 50g/142yds ball, I would never buy it. When I bought this yarn, I did not know what to do with it, but I knew it would come in handy, and so it did. I'm quite sure it will be a wonderful warm and soft comfort shawl for the person intended. Better get back to knitting, so I can send it off soon. I'm so looking forward to the feather & fan part.
I'm also spinning for my secret project. End in sight, thank God!
Have a wonderful weekend!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

He he. Love the book guard! I've been thinking about going to the local Ikea to browse around, but can't seem to make it to the car to get going. :-)

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

it looks great! dont' you just love getting organized? I have some serious knitting book envy! :)

sgeddes said...

I like the new shelves and of course the guards are the best!
I love those paintiings by the new bookcase too - soo colorful!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Shepherds are fabulous watch dogs -I would definately trust my knitting books to Sam and Biko! The shawl is such a pretty color - but I agree with you that yarn will probably pill. My Mom knit a sweater using it...

Anonymous said...

ohhh weeee thats alot a knitting books. Can i come browse??

sweetfigs said...

Ooof! The best laid plans, derailed by Ikea. :(

The new shawl is lovely though.

Have a wonderful weekend.

hakucho said...

Very nice book shelf! The comfort shawl looks lovely...nice and cozy and warm!

happy knitting :)

Angelika said...

Too bad we don't have an IKEA anywhere close. GA hasn't discovered the convenience of swedish furniture in a box yet. Go figure. Hmmm lots of books, minus two that is. I got them today. Thanks. I like the shawl, but that seems like another braided one to me. Boring garter stitch until you get to the good part.

2paw said...

There is always some gremlin out there to wreck your plans!! The bookcase is a great idea!!! Sam is a good guarder and he does look all ghostly!!! Who is the top dog?? Biko or Sam??? I have 17 bookcases and they are not enough!!

Frieda said...

Great looking bookshelf and keeper of the books .The comfort shawl looks very pretty . It certainly looks like it will be cosy when completed . Enjoy your week-end - hope you get lots of knitting and spinning time

Yarn Devil said...

Your shawl looks lovely. You have some handsome security guards for your books!

Life's a Stitch said...

I find Ikea as frustrating as Costco. If you see something you'd better grab it because you never know when it will be in again. I've never been able to get replacement light bulbs for my Swedish Christmas candle lights. The shelves do look good and isn't it wonderful you have built in guards. I think Gracee would politely step aside if approached.
Li

Debi said...

I love Sam's ghostly face :)

I'm kinda shocked about your experience with the Cashsoft...it's one of my favorite yarns, I've never seen a white spot, it's knit like a dream and hasn't pilled at all! I think maybe you got such a cheap price cause your skeins are "seconds" :(

Charles said...

Love the bookcase!
Now you need another case for your yarn and then it be yarn store in your own house!
Also Always THANK YOU for great pattern! I just start cast on my SAKULA wrap!

Thanks again!

Love,
Charles in CA

Knittypants said...

Nice bookshelves. Ikea is just perfect for when you need to get organized. I'm needing to make a trip to get some stuff for Kaelen's room, soon.

Anonymous said...

Man sollte meinen, IKEA hat immer alles vorrätig und auf lange Zeit, aber so ist es leider nicht... Wir wollten für unsere obere Etage auch ein zweites Nachttischchen kaufen (für die Computerecke), aber sie hatten es nicht in der gleichen Farbe wie vor einigen Jahren. Und es ist auch in der Farbe nicht mehr im Programm. Sprich: Kauf gleich genug!

;)

Ich wünsch dir eine schöne Woche!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have a lot of books, I am a little jealous because I like knitting books also.
I am glad the wrong bookshelf good be used after all.
We share the same oppinion: I like the products of Ikea but I hate going there because it is always crowded and the item you want to buy is always sold out (well maybe not always but often!).

Bea said...

I love your new shelves! I wish we had a local Ikea, I have the itch to reorganize my craft area :P Your shawl is looking lovely, and even if it pills, I'm sure it will be so soft and warm! Also, when Robby and I were reading your blog, he always goes "woof woof" when he sees your dogs :D

T-Mom said...

Great pics of Sam and Biko!

Congrats on getting organized (sort of). Hope you can find the right bookcase soon. :)

Violiknit said...

Oh, how annoying about the color differences! IKEA should've offered something for your trouble! Sam makes a good knitting book sentinel! That Feather and Fan shawl is looking nice!