Sunday, January 27, 2008

Alex comfort shawl!

I'm posting this today, because I don't have time tomorrow.
Alex is a dear friend of my daughter Hannah's. She's just a few years younger than I am, and is a mother of five. She was diagnosed with lung cancer just a couple of weeks ago. I don't know her personally, but from what my daughter told me, I felt I had to do something. So, even before I decided to do the Christl shawl (decided to do that one while waiting for the yarn to arrive), I thought of knitting a shawl for Alex, who as I understand, has not only to deal with cancer, but has a lot of other stress in her life right now.

I asked Maggie if she would dye me some yarn in colores, which would mimic those gem stones: Riebeckite - Dioptase - Fluarite - Chrysocolla

My creation

and as you can see, she did a fantastic job! I love the yarn. (I'm so glad there's some left over!) I've never loved knitting with any yarn as much before, as I did with this yarn or rather colorway. I don't know why that is, I just kept smiling while knitting. I did not knit on the shawl when I was upset (rather often lately), but wanted this shawl be in NO way negative. I choose those gem stone colores, because these gem stones are supposedly good for the respiratory system. Every little thing helps, one hopes!


My creation

This shawl turned out huge! I think it's the largest I've ever made.

Here are some specifics for you:

yarn: "Crystalline" by Dyed in the wool handmade, 100% superwash merino, 115g/378yds - used 2 3/4 skeins = 1029yds

needles: 4mm addi lace circs

pattern: this shawl was assembled by me, from the booklet "Knitting Lace Triangles" by Evelyn A. Clark. In this booklet she gives you four lace patterns, which you can use in whatever order you wish. She gives the beginnings, the main lace pattern, transition rows, and one edging for all of them. All her sample shawls in there are tiny. If you wish, you can make many different lace shawls from this book. Unfortunately for me, I only like the ripple lace and the leave lace. I don't like the flower lace and the medallion lace patterns.

If you have this booklet and like the shawl the way I made it here's a little recipe:

Ripple lace beginning - 18 rows

Ripple lace repeats incl. transition rows: 50 rows

Leaf lace repeats incl. transition rows: 50 rows

Ripple lace repeats incl. transition rows: 40 rows

Leaf lace repeats: 50 rows (no transition to edging needed)

Edging: 8 rows

Bind off row.

size after blocking: 46" x 86"

The shawl will be on its way tomorrow. I wish Alex all the best!

49 comments:

Tracy Purtscher said...

WOW that is positively beautiful!!!!

Love the gemstone correlation too.

Angelika said...

This one is really nice. And another good reason to make something you love to create and then give it away to a person that needs some cheering up.

CelticCastOn said...

Monika this shawl is absolutely gorgeous! Know wonder you were smiling the whole time!!! The colour is sooo perfect and suits the pattern to a T

Marianne said...

The shawl is absolutely, positively, stunningly beautiful... the design, and oh, those colours have me swooning. I love how you thought this all out and took so many considerations to mind.
Will direct soothing healing energy to Alex, because yes, everything helps!

Michelle said...

That shawl is gorgeous! I'm sure it will be well loved. :-)

Sue J. said...

What a beautiful shawl, Monika. I have to get that book. I'm sure the recipient will be greatly comforted by the shawl and all your wonderful thoughts as you knit it.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shawl, and beautiful thoughts. All the best to Alex, and to you!

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

That's amazing! That is so kind of you to make that shawl for her. So much thought went into it.

Knittypants said...

What a lovely shawl, and it is such a beautiful gesture of comfort.

Kelley said...

That is stunning. And I love that you smiled all the way through it and didn't knit on it when you weren't content.

NJStacie said...

How beautiful, and what a lovely lovely healing shawl for someone in need! The colors are amazing!

DAWN said...

Wow, Monica that is just so beautiful! the color, the design, everything. Just beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shawl!

Cambria said...

it's beautiful!

Beverly said...

My gosh it's beautiful. The color, the patterns they all mesh together so well. May it impart good positive energy to Hannah's friend.

2paw said...

That colour is absolutely gorgeous and the shawl is beautiful. You are so kind and I love that you knitted the shawl when you were positive!!!

La Cabeza Grande said...

What a wonderful, heartfelt gesture. So well-meaning and beautifully executed, too. I'm sure this shawl will bring the recipient a much-needed smile.

Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful shawl, but more important, that's a beautiful thing you did. She's going to love it.

Nurhanne said...

Lovely - as are the thoughts that went into making it!

Debi said...

What a beautiful gesture Monika, your kindness inspires me.

The shawl is lovely and the color is just perfection!

Ann said...

The shawl is gorgeous & a work of art & well wishes - you are so generous & I am sure Alex will feel it too!

Susanne said...

Liebe Monika,
dieser Schal ist einfach zauberhaft. Die Farbe ist wunderwunderschön, sie trifft die Farbe der Edelsteine wirklich haargenau. Ein Traum! Und Deine lieben, fürsorglichen Gedanken, die Du in diesem Schal verstrickt hast, haben mich sehr berührend. Ich drücke von hier aus ganz fest die Daumen, dass Alex den Krebs besiegt. Du hast ihr auf jeden Fall ein wunderbares magisches Geschenk gemacht, das sie umarmt.
Fühle Du Dich ebenfalls umarmt von
Susanne

sweetfigs said...

Gorgeousness! There's a lot of healing energy packed into this gift, and the color symbolism is a wonderful touch.

Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous!

shannon said...

i think this is my favorite yet. the color, the pattern...the love that went into it for someone you've never even met. you are really amazing!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Beautiful post on so many levels. The shawl is absolutely gorgeous, the pictures are stunning, and the color inspiration and realization are so well done. I wish it were inspirated by a happier circumstance. My thoughts are with you and Karl today.

Heike said...

Liebe Moni,
ich finde es ganz toll, dass Du jemandem Dir unbekannten so ein Geschenk machst.
Der Shawl ist toll, die Fotos wieder mal sehr gelungen. Der Fluorit ist einer meiner Lieblingssteine.

Liebe Grüße von Heike

lexa said...

It's absolutely gorgeous! What a wonderful color!

(You may get this twice -- I got an error.)

herzlichkreativ said...

Wunderbar - die Farbe und das Muster !!

Liebe Grüsse
Rina

Strickfimmel said...

Dieser Shawl ist Dir wunderbar gelungen!! Die Farbe ist taumhaft und so ganz nach meinem Geschmack. Ich staune mal wieder wie schnell Du ihn genadelt hast. Ich bin mir ganz sicher, dass Alex sich mächtig darüber freuen wird. Hoffentlich schafft sie es. Ich drücke ganz fest die Daumen.

Dave said...

It is certainly big AND beautiful!

take care! :-)

Viktoria said...

That's beautiful! I am sure that it will cheer her up...

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful shawl and sentiment.

Cloudberry said...

It's beautiful!
And Maggie did a great job dying the yarn for you!!

Anonymous said...

Monika, you are such a good person. To make beautiful things for people who are not well. Very sweet of you.
I am amazed by the speed you finish your knitwork, you knit really fast.

Devonshire said...

That is just beautiful. Your thoughtfulness and well thought out plan for the shawl will be very much appreciated I'm sure. That color is perfect!

T-Mom said...

Monika, what a lovely, lovely idea! I love your whole approach to this. And of course, as usual, it's very beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely Stunning!!!!

nuttnbunny said...

Luscious!!!

carla said...

That shawl is amazing!

Maggie said...

Wow! It looks better than I imagined. :) And I think you knit that in record time, as well.

Hege, thanks for the compliment! :)

Judy said...

Congratulations!!!
Your work is so beautiful as your generous and friendly gesture.
The model and the colours are dazzling, full of heartiness.

Manuela said...

Hallo Monika

dieser Schal ist ja traumhaft - ich liebe diese Farbe über alles und im Moment trage ich viel in dieser Farbe inkl. Türkis und Chrysokoll.....

Verbunden mit den tollen Gedanken beim Stricken davon, wird er Alex ganz sicher viel Glück und Unterstützung bringen.....

Liebe Grüsse - Manuela

Dreams of Yarn said...

you've had so many wonderful comments, and I agree with each and every beautiful thing said, you did an amazing job, you gave so deeply from the bottom of your heart and so much thought went into your gift. I cannot imagine a more positive and encouraging vibe to wrap around someone in their time of need.

May the blessings you send come back to you and then some.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful, thoughtful gift! I pray it brings healing to Alex; I know it will bring comfort!

Anonymous said...

Just came to visit from the Evelyn Clark KAL, and wow, really great photos of your fabulous shawl. I'm envious and not worthy!

Anonymous said...

Monika, welch wunderschöne und rührende Idee. Schade, dass es ein so trauriger Anlass ist.
Das Tuch ist herrlich. Ich hoffe, dass sich Alex gerne darin einkuscheln und geborgen fühlen mag?

Liebe Wochenendgrüße, Juli

Violiknit said...

Gorgeous shawl! I'm sure it will share it's healing properties and help your daughter's friend.

Anonymous said...

I am new to knitting and so am very iterested in learning how to do everything! This shawl is the most beautiful thing I have seen so far and I have been looking in EVERYTHING that is knitted. I only hope that one day I will be ablt to do something so beautiful....God bless you for your thoughtfulness to someone in their time of need.....Thank you for sharing your talents to everyone else!