Monday, January 07, 2008

Andrea's Shetland Triangle Shawl!





This is my last FO for 2007. At the rate I was going with the mittens, I thought it would be better to crank out another Shetland Triangle Shawl for my friend. It will be the first, and presumably the only one for her, so pretty special, I think.


I like this one, my third, the most. My first, was in a color I don't wear. It was gifted this Christmas, and well received. My second was a gift for my sister, and she loves it, got even compliments on it.


I like this one best, because I used an unlikely yarn for lace knitting. It is once again (made the blue Square Cake bag with this yarn), Endless Summer Collection Luna, a viscose/cotton blend. I was concerned about its ability for blocking, but it surprised me in a good way. Basically you get what you made, in size, might just stretch a little bit (opening up the lace), but the drape is wonderful, because it IS heavy. It hugs your shoulders and would not, with the first windy breeze, fly away. I, of course, like the shine as well. Not sure, she will go for it, but I hope sincerely she'll like it.


The pattern is the well known "Shetland Triangle Shawl" from Wrap Style, by Evelyn A. Clark. I used 3 balls of yarn, with a few yards from the 4th ball, for half of the bind off row. I used 4mm needles, because that are the largest addi lace circs I have.


This was a very fast and pleasurable knit. I blocked it the evening before I got sick, and it had the chance to dry for days. The finished size after blocking is 23" x 43". I did only the 8 pattern repeats, because I was worried about running out of yarn. As it is, I could have made another couple of repeats.



The mittens will be for next Christmas.


Hm, there was something else I wanted to tell you, what was it ..... oh yeah! There are new Kyla mitten pictures in my Readers Gallery, if you care to take a look. :o)

37 comments:

Frk.Badegakk said...

Monika: Its super yummy! I have posted the recipe her:

http://frkbadegakk.blogspot.com/2007/09/speltbrd-namse.html

Oh, by the way: I love the shawl!=D

Marianne said...

Monika, Shetland Shawl is beyond lovely, the colour is gorgeous! Hmmmmm, I have some of that yarn in my stash, would never have considered it to be a shawl though so thank you!

What do we have here, in the first comment? a recipe using spelt? I use whole spelt all the time!

momsue84 said...

Beautiful shawl, Monika! Love the color. Also so glad you are feeling better. Can't wait to see what you knit in '08.

Angelika said...

It's lovely, just a little small for my taste. I like them big, at least my wingspan. But the cotton is a good choice sometimes. My braided shawl was a cotton blend too. I'm glad you are feeling better too.

Anonymous said...

ohhhh what a beautiful shawl I love the colour!!

DAWN said...

Another great FO. The color is so pretty. I'm glad you are gonna get to keep this one. I just got this book and that is one of the patterns I am looking at making. I would like to try some hemp yarn, I think.

Tracy said...

Gorgeous. What a beautiful color and you did a very nice knitting and blocking job. Very nice.

Kris B said...

It's beautiful and I find it amazing that you have knit it three times.

I also ejoyed seeing the mittens in the reader's gallery.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shawl, gorgeous color, beautiful crafting!

So glad you're back on your feet :)

hakucho said...

Beautiful shawl..the color is fabulous, so rich looking!

happy knitting :)

Bea said...

It's gorgeous! I love the color, I'm definitely going to have to make this!

Yarn Devil said...

Beautiful work on the shawl! Course all 3 are beautiful, but there is something I love in the colour of this last one!

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Monika, the shawl is gorgeous - love the color :)

lexa said...

That shawl is gorgeous! I love the color, and such a pretty pattern.

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful!!!

Claudia Bugh said...

I loved the light blue one your sister received - but this is also stunning in a different way. The color is fabulous and so is the shine. Great choice - I agree a shawl with a little weight is more wearable. Cute mitts added to the gallery!

Tracy Purtscher said...

And once again you have thrilled me. Wish I had your talent for choosing the right yarn for the right project!

Anonymous said...

I love that color and that picture! Against the snow is just amazing.

I can't imagine her not loving it.

2paw said...

The shawl is beautiful and the stitch definition is perfect. I love the hanging in the tree picture. The snow cools me!!!

Strickfimmel said...

Der Shawl sieht wunderschön aus!! Die Farbe und das Muster passen einfach perfekt zusammen. Du hast wirklich ein goldenes Händchen bei der Auswahl von Muster und Farben.

Cloudberry said...

The shawl is just beautiful and I think your friend will love it!

And I use ricemilk for Endre ;)

Anonymous said...

Monika, you patient soul! The colour is stunning too!!!

sweetfigs said...

All your Shetland Triangles turned out wonderfully, but this pretty red one is my favorite.

And Rina's Kyla mits are a great addition to the Readers Gallery!

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Fab colour and blocked to perfection.

Pat said...

All 3 are beautiful, but this is my favorite! Must be the RED and the bigger shinier yarn!
I've had some cotton laceweight yarn in my stash forever, but have been afraid of making a shawl from it because of the blocking concerns - I'll be interested to know if yours stays open and airy!

Dave said...

That shawl is really nice! Do you knit as a business as well? It never occurred to me to ask. Hmmm.... I might have a few that would certainly benefit from your talent! :-)

Elemmaciltur said...

Simply beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Wow! It is so beautiful!! I really love the Shetland Triangle pattern, and it looks stunning in the red. Very well done!

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

beautiful! I don't know how you crank out those lace shawls so fast! Every time I turn around you've finished another one! LOL

shannon said...

it is just beautiful. and it's no wonder your sister gets compliments, that blue color was lovely. and the first in lilac...stunning.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful - what a gorgeous eye-catching color! =)

Heike said...

Hallo Moni,

mal wieder ein wunderbarer Shawl und am allerbesten gefällt mir die Farbe. Das alles im Schnee: TOLL!!

liebe Grüße sendet Heike mit Wilma

Knittypants said...

Beautiful! I love the color.

T-Mom said...

That is beautiful, and so are the pictures--the winter landscape shows the shawl at its best!

Cecie said...

su-per-schön!

ich glaub, ich muss doch mal nen näheren blick in das buch werfen...

übrigens, was man von deinen vier wänden so sieht fühlt man sich direkt eingeladen, sich wohlzufühlen. schööööön! keine angst, um einfach so vor der tür zu stehen bist du ein bisschen weit weg ;o)

liebe grüsse an dich und die fellnasen.

Susanne said...

Liebe Monika,
Dein Shetland Triangle ist wunderbar, eine ganz herrliche Farbe und wunderschön gestrickt - wie immer bei Dir. Habe heute wenig Zeit, deshalb nur kurz.
Ganz liebe Grüße
Susanne

Violiknit said...

Beautiful Shetland Shawl! I never tried to block anything with cotton; the results look fantastic!