Friday, January 18, 2008

Christl's comfort shawl - part 2

The Yarn Harlot may get over her knitting frustrations with a stiff drink, but I don't. The closest I get to booze is, when I sniff the veil with Rum flavor in my baking cabinet.

Whom was I kidding? I could not let a half finished shawl keep lying around, and start another one, as much as I wanted to. I just couldn't.


I asked my son to rip back more than half of it, which he obviously enjoyed. I picked up hundreds of stitches, and decided to change shawl design altogether. Apart from the wrong color choice before, I didn't like the long tails this pattern called for. I was glad that I got to see that. A little thinking was in order, and thus I pulled out the needle once again, to rip back further. The "Feather & Fan" shawl was now going to be the "Wool Peddler" shawl. :o)

I finished knitting on Friday, blocked it on Saturday.

specs:

pattern: Wool Peddler shawl from "Folk Shawls" by Cheryl Oberle

yarn: Classic Yarns RY Cashsoft DK, 6 balls - 852yds (each ball 50g/142yds), color # SH 506, 57% extra fine merino, 33% microfiber, 10% cashmere. The quality of this yarn was crap, but the feel is very soft, and it's light. I like how it feels, but will not buy this yarn again. I think I've got a bad batch. The store I bought it from said, it's half prize because the colorway is going to discontinued. I wonder if that's true.

The shawl has a halo, when you start pulling at the halo, white stuff gets easily pulled out.

needles: 5mm circular

size after blocking: wing span 73" x 39"

destination: comfort shawl for Christl


The color in this picture is not true at all, but I like it anyway. I like how the garter stitch part starts to ripple, when you start the lace pattern. This is one of the easiest shawls, but I like the simple look. I admit, I like garter stitch, and why not? The funny thing is, this is my first FO in 2008. In 2007 my first FO was a Wool Peddler shawl too!

I like to block the edge to points, because I like it, but also because it's much easier than to block it in a straight line, which one day I'd like to do also. I like both looks.

The original Wool Peddler doesn't have yarn over rows in the garter stitch part, but mine does, because it started out as another shawl.

I'm going to pack it up today and tomorrow it will be on its way to Europe. I sure hope Christl will like it. I've put it over my shoulders this morning, after I cut off the ends. It's light on the shoulders, but warm, and so soft. The size is just right too, at least for me. Christl has a daughter who has cancer. She told me on the phone, "Why does it have to be her (daughter), and not herself?" She also said, she's old and would love to give her life for her daughters. A little later she found out, that she had a growth on her kidney, which didn't help her daughter at all, and now Christl has to deal with her own problems as well.

Since I can't be there to give her a hug in person, I hope this shawl will hug her many times in my place.

43 comments:

Dave said...

I gotta tell ya Monika... this shawl has certainly attracted my attention! :-)

Kirsten said...

The shawl is beautiful Monika! I really like the addition of the yarn overs in the body of the shawl. I may try that next time I make a Wool Peddler's shawl.

My thoughts are with your friend and her family.

Mary said...

Your shawl is really beautiful!!

Maggie Tipping said...

It's beautiful.

shannon said...

you are an amazing friend! the shawl is just gorgeous. christl will LOVE it!!

Anonymous said...

Sigh...

What beautiful work :) I am sure it will be well received and well loved.

I keep looking at the Wool Peddlar's Shawl myself but I know my self well enough to know I will probably never make the pattern as written. It would be a good starting point though :)

Michelle said...

The shawl is so pretty. And it has a wonderful destiny going to your friend. I hope this brings her the comfort you wish you could give her in person.

Devonshire said...

There are no words - I am speechless at the beauty you have created. That shawl is gorgeous. As usually your work is flawless and breathtakingly beautiful. Love the color. So I guess I did have some words.

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! A post on frogging first thing on a Monday morning??? Kind of a scary start to the week! LOL!! The Shawl is really beautiful - nice save! Christl is going to LOVE it! You're so right - if you're not happy - try again - satisfaction is often found at the bottom of the frog pond .... :D

lexa said...

Very nice! I'm sure she'll love it!

Knittypants said...

The shawl is beautiful, and I am sure it will bring comfort to your friend.

Cambria said...

it is beautiful! she will love it, i'm sure of it.

Bea said...

This is so beautiful, the transformation from unblocked to blocked is amazing! It looks so soft and comfy, Christl will be greatly comforted by her shawl.

Anonymous said...

O, Monika, what a sad story about your friend. How lovely that you give her this shawl. I hope that she and her daughter will be well soon.

I love the shawl! Nice color.

Michelle said...

Great job! It looks so lovely!

Anonymous said...

The yarn gives the pattern a real elegant touch - well done! Arlene

old lady said...

It's lovely! What a nice job you did. It will provide both love and warmth!!

Sue J. said...

Zing!!! That is the loveliest Wool Peddler I have ever seen. The yarn over rows are just the perfect touch. This one is moving up my queue fast. How did you know when to put in the YO rows? Just fantastic!

sgeddes said...

I hope your friend is feeling good. I think the shawwl will lift her spirits up. It is a very pretty shawl.

Marianne said...

Monika, Your friend will feel so loved (I'm sure she already does) when she wears this. The shawl is beautiful, absolutely and positively beautiful. On my monitor the first two photos, the colour is gorgeous, a warm medium pink, or a soft coral colour? and it's beyond lovely.
Sending out 'the really extra special good stuff' (as in thoughts and prayers) to your friend and her daughter...

Angelika said...

That's a real friend right there. I hope she is happy with her shawl and can enjoy it's comfort for a long time.

Kris B said...

What a wonderful gift for your friend.

I'm very sorry to hear how harsh life is for her. She will be in my thoughts and prayers.

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

What a wonderful gift. It look lovely even if it was a pain to knit. I don't know how you crank out those shawls so fast! LOL

2paw said...

What a beautiful shawl, I like the points too. I know it will be a great hug too!!

Margaret said...

Love it! Simple yet pretty, and though I don't like to knit garter stitch as much myself, I love the scallopy garter edge! It's lovely of you to send a hug to your friend in need.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

It's very lovely. Bravo on finishing it right despite the aggrevations!

hakucho said...

I'm sure that this wonderful shawl will be a great comfort for your friend, Christi! It's absolutely gorgeous. Love everything about it. You always knit such fabulous items :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous shawl - I'm sure it will make your friend feel better!

Maggie said...

I'm glad you're happy with the shawl now, it's beautiful. I was just noticing the ripple at the edge of the garter stitch section in your photo, right before I read your comment about it!

Best wishes to your mother-and-daughter friends.

Rhonda said...

Another great lesson from you! You've taken a not so great shawl and ripped and turned it into a quite beautiful piece. Love it!

La Cabeza Grande said...

You may not be thrilled with the yarn, but the shawl (and the wonderful thought behind it) will be much appreciate by your friend.

Makes me think I ought to pull out my copy of that book...

CelticCastOn said...

It looks great!! I love the less watermelony look :)

weebug said...

i love the way that you made the two patterns flow together, it certainly looks lovely and what a wonderful thing for a good friend.

Debi said...

The yarn might have been a PIA but the shawl v.2 is stunning! I'm sure your friend will be thrilled with it!

Manuela said...

das ist ja ein Traum im Rose - wunderschön!!!

Liebe Grüsse - Manuela

sweetfigs said...

You're a kind friend to make Christl this beautiful shawl when she really needs a hug. Best wishes to her and her daughter.

Anonymous said...

What a loving gift for your friend! I think your combination shawl version is absolutely gorgeous - color, pattern...everything!

Frieda said...

The shawl is just beautiful ! Kudos  for ripping the original and changing patterns , probably the best thing to do since you were really not liking it. Your friend will definitely feel the good vibes . A big hug for all of you , hoping that Christl and her daughter will comforted by your generosity and the well wishes of all your readers.

joker said...

this is so nice... the level of details are stunning!

Hey,I like your blog. I think it is cool... the contents are interesting in my opinion. I will come back to your blog, keep it up!

Do drop by my blog and have a look.

http://1jokeaday.blogspot.com

meg said...

gorgeous, monika! so lovely.

Violiknit said...

Oh, this is a spectacular shawl! I'm sorry to hear of your friend and her daughter's heath problems, but I'm sure receiving such an amazing gift will really lift her spirits!

Beverly said...

The shawl is beautiful. I hope your friend finds comfort in such a heartfelt gift.

Anonymous said...

jetzt bin ich neugierig, wie denn das unmögliche ursprüngliche Teil tatsächlich ausgesehen hatte... Aber dein neues Tuch ist einfach herrlich und sieht sehr gemütlich aus. - seltsam, dass du jetzt langsam von grün zu Rottönen tendierst....
Grüßle Sabine