Friday, July 02, 2010

Handspun Friday - Batts

Prairi Rose and Leaf Lace shawl-2

Remember these batts I got from Susan a while ago?
Zivec Designs-grift from Susan-125g-BFL with Firestar
As you all now by now, I don't especially like spinning from batts, and the last few where not very well blended in my opinion. Susan thought she could make me see, that it's not so bad really, and she did a fabulous job in blending those batts (after dyeing the BFL fiber orange, just because I like orange).
Susan's batts transformed
I have to admit that I had my doubts, but it was a pleasure to spin! It was so much fun, that I wanted to knit with the finished yarn at once, and after knowing what yardage I had, I was looking for a small shawl pattern.
The yarn turned out to be soft, and airy, and bouncy, it had a weird feeling when I started knitting with it, it was so poofy, almost like boucle yarn, but not. It is a little fuzzy, and I totally like it!

Prairie Rose Lace shawl

specifics:
pattern: Prairie Rose Lace Shawl by Evelyn A. Clark, from the Knitter's Book of Wool
yarn: my handspun BFL, dyed and carded by Susan, ~ 460yds
needles: 3.75mm
size: 29" x 56"
mods: I've knit one more repeat of the rose chart, as was called for in the pattern. I wanted to use up all the yarn I had, and I didn't care for the edge chart much, so I rather made the main part larger. As it were I had only enough yarn to knit two rows of the edge chart and that was fine by me. I think it still looks O.K. like that.
start-finish: May 28 - June 4

Prairie Rose Lace shawl 2

This was a fun project! I like it when I know what I want to do with the yarn I'm going to spin, which is not always the case. Usually I spin and look for a project afterwards, but this time I knew I wanted to make something lacy. Thanks Susan, for the lovely batts, and the oportunity to give spinning batts another try. :o)

***
As for the pups:
I was moving the old dog bed, which was Biko's the other day, when I set it down for a while, and as soon as it hit the floor, the pups moved in. They really like it, and I think I'll keep it around for now.
Happy was there first.
July 1-1 (2)
He's actually wet from a swim (2nd swimming lesson). He was bumped in again, but he swam a couple of rounds and then zeroed in on the stairs and went out quite well. He's still not jumping in on his own though.
Next came Denny, who is doing well with his freedom curtailed.
July 1-1
They are so cute. Look how Happy is tucking in his paws. As soon as I took this picture, Denny jumped down and had to get the rope toy:
July 1-3

I like this picture, because Happy looks so happy in it.

Have a great weekend you all! :o)

***

32 comments:

Ann said...

Oh, it's so stunningly beautiful!
And the color!
Spanish fire!
Wow wonderful it must be to know, that you made it yourself all the way!

2paw said...

Part of Happy's happy picture is missing for me, so, I clicked on it and saw it on the Flickr!! He does look happy and I love poor Denny's ears!! It's a great bed for them.
Oh the orange even looks nice and fuzzy, it's a beautiful shawl!!

Chery said...

I love your shawl! Doesn't Ms. Clark create the nicest patterns? I think I'm going to give spinning a bat a try...

Anonymous said...

gorgeous shawl

love the pics of the pups....too cute!!!

Jeanne said...

Wow - the shawl is gorgeous! Its making me want to go spin yarn and make something with the yarn!

Love the last picture of the dogs!

RC said...

OMG its stunning!!!!!

CelticCastOn said...

Another beautiful shawl!
Ahhh the pups, Happy's turned in feet are sooo cute. I've been toying with the idea of trying to find a couple of those beds, I hate vaccuming their flattened pillows. Is that the same one that's on the deck?

Isabel S./Lisboa-Portugal said...

I love yr shawl. Ahhh but Happy and Denny, they are SOOOO CUTEEEE !!! Can't help it...i'm in love with them!!! They always look so nice on the photos!! I love them. Thanks for putting photos of them in yr blog.My dog , I have a Beagle, also like to put his feet like Happy does and I call him "little sheep".
Have a nice weekend.

Sherri said...

I love that last picture, it could be your Christmas card ;)

Laurie said...

The shawl and the yarn are just gorgeous! I'm not usually a fan of orange, but I'd grab that yarn in a heartbeat.

And thanks for the "Awww Candy", Happy and Denny. They are just too cute for words. That last picture is a prizewinner!

Unknown said...

I love reading about your pups - they are so cute in the last picture! The shawl is beautiful - I don't know that I would have ever chosen the orange, but it is gorgeous.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

The shawl is beautiful! Im not a huge fan of orange but that is a pretty shade.

Fritzi said...

That shawl...GORGEOUS! Makes me want to try my hand at something like that.
Those pups...PRECIOUS! Love, love, love those photos!
Gruesze aus Indiana.
Fritzi

Anonymous said...

Fabulous shawl and beautiful spinning! I don't like batts all that much either but I'm always willing to be proven wrong :)

AdrieneJ said...

I ab-so-lute-ly LOVE that yarn! The colour is tremendous, and the resulting shawl is gorgeous! What a fantastic skill your spinning is - I am envious of your ability. Well done!

Crystal said...

WOW! Beautiful job on that shawl. It came out so lovely, you're making me want to find some batts from my stash and get going! Although, I still have other things on my bobbins. *sigh*

Queen of the Tea Cosies said...

Gawd Girl! That shawl has to be THE MOST beautiful shawl in the entire world. You are too too clever by halves.

And the pups?
Well it goes without saying.

susannasplace said...

Hach, die Jungs sind ja mal wieder zum dahinschmelzen. Herrliche Bilder.

Liebe Grüsse
Susi - 30° hab ich momentan im Wohnzimmer und das um halb zehn Uhr abends... ich hoffe, bei Dir ist es kühler.

Beverly said...

Beautiful shawl as always. The color is lovely and vibrant. I enjoy seeing the projects from the yarn you spin. They are always so lovely.

knottygnome said...

gorgeous shawl! i just finished this one as well.

Kathy... said...

OH! So pretty! I love orange too. I never know what I'm going to make either - I envy you! How did you draft it from the batts? Did you do a long draw? I managed to do LD recently, and I really enjoy the technique. Love the pupp photos - as always. My DH even comes and looks at the pupps!

Susan said...

Oh, you did a spectacular job with those batts! The spinning and knitting is just beautiful!

As for the dogs, when I look into their gorgeous eyes I see too much intelligence for their own good ;) They are adorable.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shawl! And gorgeous pups, as usual. :)

Rhonda said...

Oh my goodness, the Prairie Rose is beautiful. I got the book awhile ago, I should doing something about getting that pattern done. Love the dog bed, I think the boys look very happy in it.

Walden said...

Lovely! I am a huge fan of orange. Beautiful job from start to finish.

The boys are adorable. I've never seen a bed like that, very nifty.

Darcie said...

Gorgeous yarn! Stunning shawl! I have been eyeing that pattern for awhile now and your shawl is prettier than the one in the book.

Michelle said...

That shawl looks so soft and comfortable to wear. Great spinning!

And I bet the dogs dry faster in that bed with the air moving beneath them.

Kathleen said...

Where did you get Biko's bed? I love it and I think my Stella would too. Gotta have one!

SockPixie said...

The shawl is stunning. The color is incredible. I am speechless!

Gloria Patre said...

What a beautiful shawl! Such a lively color! It's amazing how much one batt can differ from another when it's made well, eh? Kudos to Susan for doing such a nice job on them! Your handspun is SO nice!

Robin said...

That shawl is beautiful! Love that color. Your pups are just too cute. I love the swimming pictures in another post and these of them in the bed. I bet Happy wonders what he ever did without his little Bro.

Kathleen said...

We love looking at the puppy pictures. We do miss Sam and Biko though.

BTW, your shawl is beautiful!!!!!