Friday, January 15, 2010

Handspun Friday - Winter Woodland

Last year (sounds like a long time ago) you might remember that I received a lovely package from Donyale - Moggy and Me, including this lovely fiber to spin.

Winter Woodland

It was not easy to spin, but I did it. It's a blend of BFL-Viscose-Bamboo. It turned out to be airy and still has a wonderful drape.
I've weight the finished yarn before it took a bath, it was 93g, 2-ply, ~ 334yds.
Yarn like this was screaming to be something for a delicate neck.

I've got some yarn I'd like to design something with, it's very special, so I grabbed this yarn, to come up with something. I ripped out several times, and finally had to stop using this handspun for trial and error, because it was looking a little worn out. (still don't have a clue what to do with the other yarn)

I LOVE slip stitch patterns. I know, it's hardly visible here, especially the main part, but it was slightly less boring to knit, compared to stockinette stitch.

Sometimes I just want to sit down and knit, without having to look at a pattern. I made this little triangular scarf right after I finished Multnomah (pictures soon). So I wanted to make the ends longer, and increased every row. I changed to a different slip stitch pattern in the lower part of the little thing, a little more obvious. It was not easy to find a stitch pattern other than garter stitch which would work with this yarn.

Winter Woodland scarf

Winter Woodland scarf

Winter Woodland scarf

Winter Woodland scarf

Did you notice the edge? I was just knitting along, getting worried that I would run out of yarn, thinking up something (I think I've already forgotten how I did it, should have made notes).
It was a total surprise to me, how the edge worked out, which only revealing it's loveliness after blocking. I had about a foot of yarn left over.

Winter Woodland scarf

My "extensive" notes, give me one more clue - I used 3.25mm needles. Sometimes I shake my head about myself. I haven't even measured it after blocking, but it's just the right size to wind around ones neck.

Thanks, Dony for the lovely fiber!
***

29 comments:

knottygnome said...

it's beautiful! i love it when yarn and design come together to make such a unique and lovely object.

Frieda said...

The shawl is simply lovely ! I wish I was a good enough knitter to come up with something as gorgeous as that . Handspun yarn on top of it all !

Sharon V said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Great job!

Iris said...

This is really lovely.

I have to thank you for your inspiration in the past month or two. I have made 16 of those crocheted pin cushions you made early in December, giving them as gifts to all my knitting friends and relatives (including one to my weaver husband). I still have to make one for myself.

Now I may have just been inspired to spin up and knit a triangle shawl!

Keep 'em coming!

Jody said...

Lovely shawl!! I love seeing the before and after of fiber. The finished product always comes out so different from the lump of fluff!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

It's beautiful. I absolutely love the colours!

momsue84 said...

Beautiful! Gee, is a pattern forthcoming?

Virginia G said...

That's really lovely! I've developed an obsession with shawlettes lately. No idea why.

NancyFancyPants said...

I think it looks great - and you can definitely see the slip stitches...too bad you didn't take notes, I'd have paid for this pattern!

punkin said...

I am partial to slip-stitch patterns. Lovely shawl.

lexa said...

It's gorgeous! I love the edging.

Michelle said...

That's very pretty. I like the slip stitches and the color changes and it looks like it's very silky to wear.

Sarah said...

So gorgeous. I can't say anything else! Good on ya!

Kim said...

I love it! Everything about it. The colors are beautiful and you spun the yarn used to make it, wow!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Your shawls are all soooooo beautiful. This is such a lovely design ~ I particularly like the feature of the slip stitch running and haven't seen that before (or if I have hadn't noticed it). I may have to have one too - LOL

I bet that combo of yarn is ultra soft and lustrous. Can't wait to see what your new design is going to be!

Maria said...

Just beautiful!

Unknown said...

lovely colours, and they make a beautiful finished shawl too. Well done! I'm in the middle of a shawl using handspun too - this has given me so much of a boost to keep going! Thanks x

Cloudberry said...

Beautiful!!!

Have great weekend :)

Clare said...

Beautiful - looking forward to starting mine tonight. I plan on using something form my Wollmeise stash.
Clare

Queen of the Tea Cosies said...

It is soooooo lovely to see the whole progression from beautifully dyed wool to beautifully spun wool bot beautifully knitted wool to beautifully photographed scarf.

Beautiful.

Walden said...

Very beautiful! So delicate and soft looking.

Beverly said...

Lovely. Simple and perfect.

Anonymous said...

It's really beautiful! I would definitely be interested in seeing a pattern.

Ann said...

It's gorgeous & I love the colors. The edging looks really nice too.

Life's a Stitch said...

I am catching up on my blog reading and all your pictures this month, as always, are beautiful.

Juli said...

Schöööööön!!!!

Die Farben sind ein Traum! Das Tuch einfach wunderbar!!!!

Liebe Grüße, Juli

Renata S. P. said...

Wow!!!!
That is really gorgeous, Monika!
Love your handspun =)

Anonymous said...

Liebe Monika,

Deine neuesten Tücher sind ja wieder einfach nur traumhaft !!!!!


Ganz liebe Grüße
Corinna

Anonymous said...

Oh Monika - what a lovely surprise. I have been away on holidays and had a look to see what you had been up to.

WOW - the shawl is beautiful - can't believe I dyed it and you made it into something so lovely.

(I agree - it's not the easiest to spin).

Thanks so much for making my day.