Friday, January 29, 2010

Handspun Friday - Rambouillet

Usually I spin very thin. I don't always like to have lace weight, or fingering weight yarn, but that's what I get. This time I've tried to spin thicker without having to x-ply the singles, which always comes out thick/thinnish, but I see hope, if I keep trying. My choice of fiber fell on these two colorways.

Rambouillet fiber

On the left you see 4oz of Rambouillet, colorway "Awakening" from pumpkinmama.etsy.com, and on the right you see 4oz Rambouillet, colorway "Pallid" from Hello Yarn Fiber Club, November 2009.
I thought with these two colorway in my stash, they could go together, how well, I could not imagine.

2 skeins Rambouillet yarn, total ~ 466yds, 8-10 WPI, 2-ply

Well, Awakening swallowed Pallid, at least from what I can see. It could change, once I'll knit it up, we'll see.

2 skeins Rambouillet yarn, total ~ 466yds, 8-10 WPI, 2-ply-4

This turned out to be two skeins of 2-ply yarn, a total of ~ 466yds, 8-10 WPI. Definitely an improvement on the thickness scale.


2 skeins Rambouillet yarn, total ~ 466yds, 8-10 WPI, 2-ply-6

Here surrounded by yummy colorful Humbug fiber, waiting to be spun.

***

11 comments:

Jody said...

I have a terrible time when I want to spin thicker! Now in my fourth year of being a spinner, I find I am still spinning finer without thinking.

T-Mom said...

But how pretty, and how cheerful!

Susan said...

My hands always want to spin fine yarns too and I have to concentrate really hard to spin thicker. Yours turned out great!

Sharon said...

Your yarn is lovely, as usual. And I see some plum in there so you didn't lose all of Pallid.

You taught yourself to spin thin, now you get to start all over teaching yourself to spin thick.

knottygnome said...

i'm getting ready to spin a thicker yarn as well. it's funny how easy it is to break into "default" mode.

i really like how you take 2 different colorways and ply them together. i should try that sometime.

SockPixie said...

I love it! The colors are stunning together. Thanks for sharing.

Virginia G said...

That is so beautiful! I love your spinning.

Although you're right, it does look like the Pallid was swallowed up. I can't wait to see what you knit with it!

Michelle said...

I can see Pallid peaking out trying to make itself known. That looks like a nice squishy yarn that would make a nice pillow for an afternoon nap. :-)

Connie said...

Beautiful Monika! I spun all day today and as a new spinner and happy to see some thin yarn happening!

RC said...

pretty pretty! your plying looks so great, I'm jealous

Gloria Patre said...

Isn't it funny how the skeins turn out? Sometimes it's such a pleasant surprise! I think they came out lovely!
I see your Shunklies in the background has some brilliant orange... hmmmm... wonder why you picked that! ;o)