Saturday, January 09, 2010

# 1 of 10 shawls in 2010

Haruni

For those who did not see it on ravelry or on flickr yet, here's my finished first shawl for the 10 shawls in 2010 ravelry group. It's the Haruni shawl. This became an instant favorite on ravelry. Listed at the end of December 2009, it has now (as I write this) 74 projects, and 1352 queued, not bad. What made me knit this lovely shawl, was the edge, no doubt about it. The main body is a bit boring to knit, but necessary to get to the edge! The only relieve is, that the stitch pattern is easy to memorize and can almost be knit in your sleep. I like how people block out the crochet edge differently.

Haruni

I thought the two leaves looked like flower buds, just opened. Very pretty. I took a chance in choosing this yarn. It had many different blues in it, from almost white to almost black. I was going to dye it, if I didn't like it. I have some blueberry blue dye, that would have done the trick. But - I don't think it's necessary. While knitting, the yarn was harsh, stiff, and stained my fingers, and inside of my hands. I took a picture of one of my hands, but decided, since it looked like the hand of a Zombie, you don't need to see that. Use your imagination! I was hoping that the stiffness was due to too much dye left on the yarn, and I was right. After finishing, I put it in a warm, soapy bath, the water was almost black. I rinsed it 6 times, and the water still was cornflower blue, but I gave up after that. One thing it did though, was to even out the color overall. The almost white spots are gone now. I did find a knot as well, in the middle of knitting the edge. I was all ready to dislike this yarn, but when I picked it up after it was dry, it had soften up quite nicely, and I thought it was beautiful.

Haruni

specifics:
free pattern: Haruni by Emily Ross (The name Haruni means "grandmother" in Quenya, Tolkien's Elvish language, says so on the pattern)
yarn: Spritely Goods, Sylph Fine Fingering, limited edition Ryujin, 110g ~ 560yds, 100% sw merino. I weight the finished shawl and the left over yarn and it was 119g. The shawl was 103g, which means I used 477yds for it. I have another skein, so I can use the left over yarn for a bigger shawl (or something). BTW - I love her dyed yarn!
needle: 3.75mm
size after blocking: 53" x 24"
start/finish: January 3 - 7, 2010
mods: I just knit the first stitch of each row, instead of slipping it; nothing else.
Row 17 of chart B gave me some trouble, but I think there are some helpful hints posted on the rav page for it.

Haruni

Can you see the snow flakes on the shawl?
Well, what's left to say about this little darling of a shawl? I like it so much, that I can see me knitting another one some day.

***

40 comments:

hannah said...

Wow, I am speechless.... This shawl is gorgeous!!!

Virginia G said...

That's beautiful! Love it!

Taxastrikkeren said...

Its so beautiful! And I have already made a download of it.

momsue84 said...

What a gorgeous shawl, Monika! I just love the colors. Perfect with the pattern. Beautiful!

Cloudberry said...

It's gotgeous!
And that's a very beautiful shade of blue.
Have a great weekend :)

Kris said...

That is beautiful! Love the colour of the yarn.

And while you've just finished your first shawl of 2010, I've just begun my first shawl - ever.

Pats to Biko and Happy.

Connie said...

Beautiful!

Dreams of Yarn said...

WOW, just beautiful. You did a wonderful job in blocking out the edges, it looks stunning

Anonymous said...

very nice! - pennknits.blogspot.com

hakucho said...

Very delicate....truly splendid :)

Irene said...

This is simply stunning! What patience and what skill! Fantastic, no less!

Acornbud said...

Wonderful. Great choice of yarn for the pattern. It looks so intricate!

Anonymous said...

Kompliment zu diesem traumhaften Schal, das ist wirklich ein Kunstwerk.

Mo said...

Absolutely gorgeous! You're right the shawl's border pattern is amazing too.

Herta Haunschmid /quer durchs leben said...

Hallo Monika,
ein schönes Stück hast du da gemacht.
Alles Gute und ein schönes Wochenende wünscht dir
Herta


Ps. ich gehe noch immer mit Krücken es wird noch dauern bis ich wieder normal gehen kann.

Anonymous said...

Quite simply: it's stunning.

Päivi, Lankakomero said...

That looks wonderful! Magnificent colour!

Michelle said...

I'm one of the many many people that queued that shawl. If I can finish Peacock Feathers during Ravelympics then I'll probably knit up this one. The way you blocked the edging is the way I prefer seeing it so I may have to refer back your project!

RC said...

Oh, WOW! that is absolutely gorgeous!
do you wear it all the time? I would!

Ann said...

The shawl is gorgeous. I love the color. I have this pattern on my queue too & you have really inspired me to cast on immediately.

Walden said...

Absolutely gorgeous! From the looks of it, I think you are very right about the edging, as it makes the shawl.

knottygnome said...

wow, that is a knockout! you've convinced me that i have to make this shawl. love the deep blue!

Anonymous said...

So beautiful!!

Toby said...

It IS beautiful. The photos took my breath away when I saw them on Ravelry and they are as gorgeous the second time around (seeing them here) too.

There's something very Ice Queen-ish of the deep Wintery blue on a snowy background.

Agnes said...

My reaction is exactly the same as hannah's ... speechless! The shawl is just regally elegant!
On another note, I tried to make sure it was you who left the comment on my blog ... but I only know one Monika with a 'k', so I assumed it was you. Thanks for leaving the comment. It just felt great to find your online friends still remember you after such long absence. And of course, I have to apologize for the trouble in leaving comments. HaloScan has been taken up by another company and I am still exploring.
Again, thank you very much and hope to see more of your wonderful shawls.

susannasplace said...

Du strickst so was in 4 Tagen? Ich fall gleich um.

LG Susi

meg said...

That is beautiful. The color really works for the pattern and I love the way you blocked the edge.

Lynn One, Purl Two said...

oh wow. i'm with you- i want to knit that for the edge! it's beautiful!

Susan Flockhart said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Sharon said...

Your shawl is stunning in both color and style! I've marked it as a favorite, but really I'm coveting it.

It was worth your blue fingers, wasn't it?

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

What a gorgeous shawl and wonderful inspiration for getting us all knitting more shawls in 2010! I do see the snowflake ~ just like I can imagine what your blue hands must have looked like ;)

Can't wait to see what you pick next!

Pat said...

I just added to the queue and it is now 1641! I didn't queue it until seeing yours - SOOOO pretty!
10 shawls in one year?? I need a 1 shawl/year group :-)

Crystal said...

GORGEOUS! I absolutely love that edging.

Queen of the Tea Cosies said...

OK I'm giving up now. That is just rediculous. Rediculously fabuloso. You are amazing. You should be so proud. WOw. Wow. WOW.

Kathy said...

Absolutely beautiful.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the picture! I just stumbled upon your blog, but I cast on for this shawl this morning and it's great to have a picture of the full shawl laid out. It's beautiful, congrats!

Adee aka kiwigirl42 said...

this is so beautiful. I really like the colour. glad it evened out for you in the end. I think this has just moved to top of Rav queue

Tina said...

That’s a greally great one, I love the blues! Good everything worked out with the yarn as you like it. Have you thought about rinsing with vinegar to fix the colours?
Ten shawls in a year, that’s a great goal. I would be happy if I could finish my one Laminaria shawl this year… But I know you will make it, you knit them so fast.

Angelina said...

Beautiful, these colours and the pattern are incredible.
Greetings from Germanay
Angelika

SockPixie said...

I am speechless! Your shawl is stunning.