Friday, March 30, 2012

Handspun Friday - Peu Bourgeons mitts in Merino/Yak

Thank you all, who left a comment on my last post, for your kind words! Everything is back to normal, and I hope it stays that way.

Today I've got a twofer. Handspun yarn, and a FO made with it!

I've joined the Bare Naked Knitspot Club, pattern only, which I think now, was a mistake. The patterns are tailored to the specific yarn of the month. I thought, I could easily spin the yarn myself. Well, March yarn was YAK! I've never spun yak before, but as it turned out, I did have a merino/yak blend braid in my fiber stash. Not quite the same, but close enough.

This is the fiber: Corgi Hill Farm, 50/50 Merino/Yak, Coffee Dreams.
Corgi Hill Farm-4oz-merino-yak 50-50-Coffee Dreams

I've divided it into half lengthwise, and spun it quite thin. I chain plied it, and after its bubble bath, it poofed up quite a bit. I was going for DK weight yarn, but it turned out worsted weight in the end.
Corgi Hill Farm, 50-50 Merino-Yak-3-ply-Coffee Dreams-total 186.5yds

2 skeins, total of 186.5 yds, chain plied.

Corgi Hill Farm, 50-50 Merino-Yak-3-ply-Coffee Dreams-total 186.5yds

I still wanted to knit the Peu Bourgeons mitts from March offerings (there were the mitts, a cowl, a hat, a scarf to choose from).
After I've cast on size L, I saw that it would be too big, and called it a swatch, ripped it out, and cast on size S.
I had to shorten the cuff too, only did 12 repeats, instead of 20 repeats, but the rest of the mitts were knit as written.

Peu Bourgeons mitts, size S, merino-yak worsted weight handspun yarn

Peu Bourgeons mitts, size S, merino-yak worsted weight handspun yarn

Denny wanted to see for himself why that thing on my hand was so interesting.
Peu Bourgeons mitts, size S, merino-yak worsted weight handspun yarn

a sharper image, now that he's no longer jumping up on me
OLYMPeu Bourgeons mitts, size S, merino-yak worsted weight handspun yarn

Peu Bourgeons mitts, size S, merino-yak worsted weight handspun yarn



I can not tell you how much I love the feel of this fiber blend. It's soft, yes, but it's heavy too, and really warm. I think I have another braid in my stash, different colorway though, but I'm looking forward spinning it.

***
Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!

***

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm late but I hope you are feeling better! Love the mitts! I don't think I've ever even touched yak fiber.

Susan said...

Your spinning and knitting is always so beautiful! Love the color of this one!

Crochet with Raymond said...

beautiful! Love the colours and how you manage to match the mitts so perfectly!
have a happy weekend XXX

Pat said...

I LOVE your handspun version - they look way squishier and warmer than the originals!

I have 8 ounces of merino/yak - not yet spun...

My Five Sons said...

They are wonderful and your spinning faultless as usual

Mokihana said...

Gosh, your spinning is incredible! And I love the mitts... the color looks good enough to eat!!

Life's a Stitch said...

Yumm, chocolate covered cherry coloured yarn.

2paw said...

Oh they are like raspberry chocolates. No wonder Denny likes them, they're lovely!!!