Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Polyhymnia's Triangle

This shawl almost didn't make it to the finish line. But I'm glad it did.

Polyhymnia shawl

My favorite part of Poly was the beginning triangle: it's construction is very clever and I like the stitch pattern too.

Polyhymnia shawl

I hated the lace part of it, simply because I screwed up so much. YO's are my enemies! Either I have too many, or not enough. Many a ripping involved here. Purely my fault, the pattern is wonderful!
Polyhymnia shawl

The reason why I almost didn't finish it was the ruffles at the edge. I really liked them in the original, but did not want to knit them myself. So I was all set to bury the shawl in a bag, and hide it, when I thought I could just do a garter ridge edge instead.

Polyhymnia shawl

I'm very happy with the end result.

Polyhymnia shawl

pattern: Polyhymnia's Triangle by Romi Hill
yarn: Wandering Cat Yarns Twinkle Cat (Marcasite), and WCY Twinkle Cat Gold (honey color-Rumpelstilzchen)
needle: 3.5mm
size after lightly blocking: 24" x 90"
mods: I omitted the ruffles at the edge, and knit garter ridges instead

***
I also wanted to show you what I'm spinning right now. I love the colors so much.

FatCatKnits-Falkland-Tangerine-Magenta-Pale Aqua-Sangria-for my third handspun Old Forge blanket-

It's for my third (and last) Old Forge blanket.

***

14 comments:

illusions said...

It's beautiful Monica! Someday I might jut try! :)

Anonymous said...

I love how the shawl uses so many different techniques- the color blocking with matching stitch patterns goes so well! Congrats on a spectacular FO!

Herta Haunschmid /quer durchs leben said...

Grüß dich Monika,
Da hast aber wieder fleißig genadelt und ein schönes Tuch gestrickt.Gefällt mir sehr gut auch in den Farben eine scöne Kombi.

LG Herta

KicsiKató said...

Oh, I love both the shawl and the colors you've chosen!

And the last Old Forge? Hmmm, I don't think so:)) (or hope:) Can't wait to see it!

Ann said...

It's stunning, Monika!
I didn't like the original shawl because of the ruffles and I think the colors didn't do it any good for me....
But your's is beautiful.
I love it - both the pattern, your edge and your choice of colors.

erin said...

I love your version =) I also wasn't a fan of the ruffles... and if I ever make that pattern, I'll definitely follow in your footsteps with the garter!

beautiful color choices, too!

Mr. Puffy said...

Steve and I shared a chuckled watching Denny. He's playing to win "tug a war" :)

Your shawl is lovely and the edging you picked is a perfect fit. When I first saw the shawl with the ruffles I really loved that feature but now having seen your edging I'm not so sure.

hakucho said...

Glad you finished the shawl...it's beautiful :)

Andi said...

Wow, so glad you finished. That shawl is beautiful. Love that you are spinning!

sgeddes said...

I love it!

Pat said...

Beautiful color choices and a gorgeous shawl - I like your edge mod too!

Maryse said...

Very beautiful shawl! The garter ridge is a very good choice!

2paw said...

I laughed and giggled when I read you put the shawl in the bottom of your basket to ignore the ruffles. I love it without ruffles and the yellow triangle part has such an unusual pattern!!

Lynn One, Purl Two said...

That's beautiful Monika! Amazing colour combo! And I like the garter edging A LOT.