Friday, March 09, 2012

Handspun Friday - Old Forge!

♥ Warning, photo heavy post! ♥

I realize that this is an old hat for many of you, who've seen it on Ravelry and/or on flickr already!

Yeah! My Old Forge blanket is done! I can't tell you how much I loved this project from start to finish. As soon as I saw the pattern, I knew I would do it in handspun yarn.
Just to remind you what I've used: variegated BFL for the key lime green, and royal purple I dyed up myself, and some Corgi Hill Farm "Monika's Muse".


34oz variegated BFL dyed with color Key Lime, total of 1,327yds-worsted weight yarn-chain plied

This royal purple is impossible to capture:
variegated BFL-chain plied-16oz-657yds

"Monika's Muse"
Corgi Hill Farm-Falkland-6.4oz-chain plied- total of 229yds-Color B-Monika's Muse

And here's the finished blanket:

handspun Old Forge blanket

I made some modifications to the orignial. I left out the lace part. Although I like the idea of the lace, I didn't like the lace design.

handspun Old Forge blanket

I also left out the stitch pattern before the border. But before I added the garter ridge border, I did some slip stitching. I would have liked a few more rounds of that, but I didn't know if I had enough yarn left.

handspun Old Forge blanket

I cast on 11 stitches for the border, and knit it a little different than the original. Notes on that are on my Ravelry project page.

handspun Old Forge blanket

I used 5mm needles, but the yarn was mostly chunky and should have been at least a 6mm needle. Oh well, can't do anything about it now. It's still 61inches in diameter. Using 5mm needles, saved me some yarn, but it might not have been enough when using larger size needles, so I'm happy with the outcome.

handspun Old Forge blanket

Even though I took the photos in the morning sun, the colors are not as vibrant as in real life. Still, I love my Old Forge blanket, and have already planned another one, which will be modified as well.

***

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!

***

19 comments:

KicsiKató said...

Well, I loved the yarns so it's not strange I like your blanket... but please tell me, do you have some more hands or are you a super-quick-knitter? :)

cauchy09 said...

wait! how did i miss this?!?!

what a gorgeous gorgeous blanket, M! your yarn is amazing, as always, and you made some great choices with the design.

hooray!!

ikki said...

This reminds me of summer! And I love summers... :)
It`s beautiful.

2paw said...

I saw smaller pictures on The Ravelry but it is so beautiful when I can see it all. I love your colours and your slip stitching!!

momsue84 said...

Wow! That is one seriously gorgeous blanket!! I love the colors, and can't wait to see what you choose next!

Zenitude said...

Oh Monica,
it's stunning! The colours are so bright and cheerful...seems to me it would match so well with that green wall you often use in your photo shoots.
I love your modifications.

Stephanie said...

Looks great! I hope it finds a wonderful spot in your home. (sjn821)

sarita said...

Wow, how proud you must be! This is quite an accomplishment...:) It is just beautiful. As a new knitter, I'm still trying to figure out socks...I can't imagine being able to do something this amazing. Congratulations!

Beverly said...

Saw this on Ravelry. It is soooo pretty.

Mr. Puffy said...

It's absolutely gorgeous!!! Congratulations on a wonderful piece of knitting art :) I love the color choice/application you used ~ it reminds me of an American Indian Dreamcatcher.

Anonymous said...

Now that is gorgeous! I love the color choice- it's not something I would normally pick up, but it fits so wonderfully. And it works really well with the pattern, too. Congrats!

Susan said...

Oh wow! Such a great blanket to add a dash of summer to a cloudy day!

crochet with raymond said...

as usual it is absoultely stunning, like a beautiful big mandala, love it, you are fabulous!

Queen of the Tea Cosies said...

I haven't seen it before. Fab to see it for the first time. Beautiful earthy.

mousiesnax on Ravelry said...

The colours are fabulous -- your version of the blanket is much much more beautiful than the original.

Tina said...

Wow, this is so beautiful! This sun in the middle is just so bright. Love it!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

It is absolutely gorgeous. You have such a good eye for colour

Andi said...

Beautiful color selections. That blanket is just dripping with brilliance. Well done you!

Erin Kate said...

Beautiful colors! I love the yellow-orange-sun combo. :)