Monday, July 20, 2009

Miralda

closeup of Miralda-5
This is my favorite shot.

I haven't forgotten that this is a knitting blog. Thank god I still have some finished projects to show you. I have not finished a thing since we brought Happy home, even though I still knit a little every day.

Miralda finished-6

Back in March I started a mini knit-a-long with Angelika to knit the Miralda shawl from Nancy Bush's book "Knitted Lace of Estonia". This is my favorite pattern from this book. A sweet little shawl, started from the outside edge for a change.

closeup of Miralda-4
This is my second favorite shot.

I was very happy to find yarn in my stash which was used for this shawl in the book. A couple of years ago I bought 2 skeins of Rovings Polworth Wool a 2-ply fingering weight yarn. One skein is 832yds, which was enough for this shawl. In fact I had 37g left over from the 150g skein. Unfortunately it was natural white, which I don't like very much. It had to be dyed, either before or after knitting. Since I couldn't decided which color right away, I opted for dyeing it later.

April 28 Miralda before dye bath

specs:
pattern: Miralda by Nancy Bush
yarn: Rovings Polworth Wool, 2-ply fingering weight, 1 skein 832yds; I actually needed only 627yds
needle: 4mm
size after blocking: 30" x 55"
start-finish: March 3-April 27

Miralda finished

This shawl took me way longer than it should have. I don't know why. I worked on other projects during knitting it, but I enjoyed it very much. Knitting it from the outside in was a first for me, and I was glad that it was a small shawl. I like it better the other way around.

closeup of Miralda-2

My favorite stitch in this shawl was this cross stitch. It was great fun to do.

closeup of Miralda-1
The part after the diamond border, and after the cross stitch looks lovely, but it was a bit boring to knit. Had trouble keeping my eyes open.

Mirlada finished -2

I've already cast on for another scarf from this book. This is another book where I found several, if not all patterns are wonderful, lovely, and want to do them all eventually.

***

29 comments:

coolingstar9 said...

Wow, this is ready nice design. With your passion, you ready can make wonder.
Happy blogging nd knitting.
Have the nice day.

Robin said...

It is absolutely gorgeous!!!! Great photos that really show off the design. I know you'll enjoy it.

Päivi, Lankakomero said...

So beautiful and the colour is wonderful!

Dave said...

It's gorgeous, and I love the colour you chose for it, but wow, major nuppage. :-)

lexa said...

It's gorgeous! What a beautiful color.

Renata S. P. said...

Beautiful Shawl!
I liked this blue, it's a sky blue. Or an ocean blue.
Your lace projects are always perfect, Monika!

Tracy Purtscher said...

Simply marvelous! WOW

Sharon said...

I was wracking my brain because I was sure I'd seen this WIP in white, and sure enough I did.

Lovely color and lovely shawl. You're so talented!

ZiZi said...

Noch mehr schöne Bilder von diesem tollen Tuch, liebe Monika!
Jetzt bin ich völlig überzeugt, dass ich dieses Modell ebenfalls stricken will!
Aber erst später - ich stricke ebenfalls ein Tuch von "aussen nach innen" im Moment und liebe es ebenfalls mehr, andersrum ;-)

Geht es Happy gut? Irgendwie fehlt was *kicher*
Liebe Grüsse - ZiZi

Walden said...

Beautiful! The color is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I have that book yet but it's on my wishlist for someday. I really like that shawl and the blue you picked looks very good. What dyes do you use?

CelticCastOn said...

beautiful!! What did you use to dye it??

dclulu said...

soooo beautiful!

Ann said...

Gorgeous shawl & you did a beautiful dye job as I love the blue.

Carrie K said...

Miralda is gorgeous! I really like the color you knit her in. And something from the stash is great.

Beverly said...

Thanks for bringing this shawl to life. I've looked at this book several times and was not at all impressed. The color you have chosen for dyeing makes all the difference. It is beautiful.

Kris B said...

Wow it's beautiful! Love the color and the nice detailed photos of the stitch patterns.

Anonymous said...

gorgeous!!!
i love the book as well, though haven't knitted any of the shawls yet.
soon...
helga

aelva said...

wunderschön!!!! und tolle farbe!
LG
aelva

shannon said...

that color and yarn are both perfect for that pattern! just beautiful.

Lost Mitten said...

Beautiful!!!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

It's beautiful! I love how there are separate panels of different stitches - not just for the border which is more common to see.

I have some cream shawl yarn that I *hope* to knit up and dye - but I'm going to try and dye it how you did your shawl which wasn't a solid color (greens).

Ruth said...

It's stunning. Now I have to make one too, only I'll dye the yarn first.

Strickfimmel said...

Wie, kein neues "Happyfoto"??
Iat nur ein Scherz. Dein neues Tuch sieht super aus. Und die Farbe ist genial. Wundervolle Arbeit!!!

Knatolee said...

Fantastically beautiful!

Frieda said...

The shawl is just beautiful ! I love the colour , nice work !

Life's a Stitch said...

I love that last photo, even though all were beautiful.

Monica aka Gloria Patre said...

What a sweet little shawl! You picked a lovely shade of blue for it! You make me want to buy the book!! LOL!!

Lisa said...

I love it! I can't imagine knitting from the outside in, though.
I am Austrian, even if my blog is in french.
Happy knitting