Friday, May 11, 2012

Handspun Friday - Shipwreck & Longest Night

April's SCF fiber club had two beautiful colorways to offer:
Shipwreck
SCF fiber club April 2012-sw Cheviot 110gr-Shipwreck

and Longest Night:
SCF fiber club April 2012 - sw Cheviot 110gr - Longest Night

Both are superwash Cheviot, new to me fiber. As soon as I took it out of the bag, and handled it, I knew it would turn into something other than a garment or anything else near the skin. It was just too rough for my taste.
Spinning it was super easy, but there were a lot of coarse hairs to be picked out, which I did in the beginning, and eventually let some of them go.
I also knew, that I wanted them to be together. I spun a 2-ply yarn from each colorway, and plied them together to get a cabled yarn. 279yds total.

SCF-fiber club April 2012-Shipwreck & Longest Night cabled yarn-279yds- 


Now, what to do with it? I loved how it looked, but was pretty scratchy yarn. I decided to make some kind of container with it. I haven't done any crochet in a long time, and I'm happy to report, that my hands could handle the whole bag without too much pain. Well, yes, I made a drawstring bag.
SCF-fiber club April 2012-Shipwreck & Longest Night cabled yarn-279yds

Here it is! I love it! Open:
Shipwreck & Longest Night crochet drawsting bag-
and closed:
Shipwreck & Longest Night crochet drawsting bag-

I asked Denny to come with me to do a photo shoot!
Nudge, nudge!
Shipwreck & Longest Night crochet drawsting bag-

Shipwreck & Longest Night crochet drawsting bag-

Shipwreck & Longest Night crochet drawsting bag-

Shipwreck & Longest Night crochet drawsting bag-

His payment was in the bag. :o)
And here it is on my desk.
Shipwreck & Longest Night crochet drawsting bag

This was a fun, fast project. I started out with this pattern, but modified it. I really like the look of single crochet, it's almost like woven. The base is not really round
Shipwreck & Longest Night crochet drawsting bag-

I could have made it round, but I was following the pattern. The base is 6 1/2 inches. Then I crochet up for 7 inches, did the eyelet to get the leather bands through, and after that crochet another inch or so using a 4mm hook. I'm quite happy with it.
***
Wishing you all a lovely weekend!
♥ ♥ ♥


24 comments:

illusions said...

Denny is the best model ever. LOL! Love the bag, something I would really like to show off kind!

Ate said...

Hallo,
danke für die ausführliche Beschreibung und die tollen Bilder. Der Beutel ist wunderbar geworden. Das werde ich auch mal versuchen. Liebe Grüße von Ate

My Five Sons said...

You clever girl,that is so gorgeous,it gives a better idea what to do with some coarse fibre sIve had in my stash.I wan to rejoin SCF but theres a rather long waiting list!!

Bea said...

Die Tasche würde mir auch gefallen :-)

Liebe Grüße, die Bea

Knittynutter said...

great spinning and i LOVE that bag....

Freyalyn said...

Denny's coat looks so fabulously shiny and healthy here - I bet he sheds tremendously! And a lovely bad - the way the copper bits just pop out is very pretty.

Zenitude said...

What a great idea! It's really beautiful. I never know what to do with the coarser yarns and now I do.

monica said...

I love the bag! Denny is so cute!! :)

Fluffykira said...

I saw this over in the SCF thread, but I think it's a great use of the yarn. So pretty!

Ruth said...

Goofy doggie!

Erica said...

Beautiful bag! I always have so much fun watching your spinning posts. It's so interesting to see how fiber transforms on spinning, and then again with knitting/crochet. =)

Carrie#K said...

Have a good weekend! Denny is a very thorough model!

Hélène said...

Simply gorgeous! And really inspiring...

Susan said...

That was the perfect use for that yarn!

You know I'm not a fan of the color orange but you always manage to make it look beautiful!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the bag. I want one!

Virginia G said...

Lovely yarn and lovely bag. Georgia and I were cracking up at the pictures of Denny sticking his head into it.

Spunkyarn said...

What a lovely bag! :) stunning colours

Walden said...

I love the way you pair things together. I would have never looked at those two fibers and thought to join them, but I love how they look in that bag!

Rhonda said...

Oh, that bag would be perfect for sock projects. I've saved it. Thanks for the link.

Lynn One, Purl Two said...

LOVE!

Sharon said...

Wow, I love that bag! I never thought of making a bag with my scratchy yarn, but I will now. Great job

Happy Mother's Day to you.

Stephanie said...

Seems like this would be a useful item and I really like the pewter sheep pin! (sjn821)

2paw said...

You did make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!! What a great bag and I love Denny's help He's so funny!! I hope there was a treat in the bag???

Amina O. und ^^ Paul the Cat said...

Hi from the old world, Monika! Your great bag was part of my Hello Friday post of today and when I found your story just now about Bag And Benny I added a picture with him. Ein schönes Wochenende allen Tieren und Menschen, Amina.