Monday, March 01, 2010

Some more snow photos!

Before it's all gone, here are some more photos of Happy and Biko in the snow.


Feb. 27, 2010 - 2

Feb. 27, 2010
It's melting like crazy today, with wonderful sunshine, and nice temperatures.

I've had a spinning break over the weekend, after my marathon spinning over the last three weeks, and I finished a pair of socks I've started in December. They are drying right now, pictures coming soon.
I've also cast on for two shawls, both of which are not mindless knitting, but need some concentration.

I wish my camera could take videos, but this old one can't , and Hannah has got the better camera with her. So I'm going to tell you about Happy's progress in the "heel" department. I'm usually training with him in the driveway out front. Last week though, I didn't have time for this extra session, so I thought I'll give it a try, while we are out back for playing.

I took the Frisbee in my left hand and called him to HEEL (easy since I've got the Frisbee). He planted his butt right by my side. Now I proceeded to walk forward, with him bouncing like a rubber ball beside me (which is annoying), so I increased my speed a little until I full out ran forward. He had to stop bouncing to keep up with me. Once I hit full stop, I think I could feel the earth shaking because of how hard and fast he planted his butt in a nice SIT beside me. NICE! Of course there was joy all around and the Frisbee got thrown.

Next step will be that he'll do this for me without the Frisbee in sight. That's going to be harder for sure. :o)

***

15 comments:

Dreams of Yarn said...

your dogs always look like they really do enjoy the snow so much! Happy truly looks Happy!

lexa said...

Your doggies are so gorgeous! Our snow is all gone except for some mounds where the snow plows piled it up.

Susan said...

Wow, you've got a great start for heeling! I wouldn't be in a big hurry to get rid of the frisbee. Use it for a while until he really gets where you want him to be while heeling. Then use your hand as if you were holding the frisbee. If you could hide the frisbee under your shirt or something, you could bring it out as a reward. I'm not sure if you can do that as some dogs know where their toys are even if you hide them. Mix up the heeling times between very short bits and longer times.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Why is it that dogs love the snow sooo much? I've had a few cats that enjoyed it but the dogs always do!

2paw said...

Love the pictures of the joyous dogs in the snow.
I would have loved to see you outrunning Happy. He's a clever boy to learn so quickly!!!

RC said...

good going on the training! can I send my guys up there for you to train too? ;)

Jeanne said...

Love the pictures of the dogs in the snow - they are so cute!

I should send my Westie to you for training - she's only good at those things she wants to do!

Sharon said...

It looks like we got the same amount of snow here that you got there! It must be nice to have dogs to play in the snow with.

Now I want a dog - again! Oy!

SockPixie said...

I miss the snow already. Counting the days till next winter...

Crystal said...

These are the first pics you posted where you can tell he is nearly fully grown. What a handsome boy! And I can't wait to see your shawls. I am defintiely aching to cast on a shawl with all the nice weather.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Beautiful photos!!! You really live in a Winter wonderland.

I am taking notes of all your training tricks and/progress ;)

Donyale said...

Nooooooooooooo - don't let the snow go............:(

Virginia G said...

The puppies look so happy!

Love dogs playing in snow.

Thanks for the pix!

Frieda said...

They really are snow dogs aren't they ! Love the photos . The snow is going fast here too , can't say that I mind . With temps well on the plus side for the next few days more will go. Spring can't be far away the cabane a sucre (sugar shacks ) are going full pin around here . We usually go every spring , sometime around Easter .

Anonymous said...

You take the best dog pictures! Thank you for sharing them with us.