Monday, March 15, 2010

Last photos of winter!

I could be whining about the weather, and even more about DST, but I wont. Instead I've some last pictures of this winter to show:

Happy Feb.24-10

Apparently he looks like Rin-Tin-Tin in this picture (except that Happy's coat is white).


Biko & Happy Feb. 24-4

Love the action shots!

Happy Feb.24-11

Going, going, gone! Throw the Frisbee already!

Since our backyard is off limits to the dogs right now, we've got to get them exercised somehow, which means more walky walkies. It's good for us too. Yesterday we drove a little north to walk in the countryside, dirt road, less traffic etc.
There was a hilly road, me/Happy, David/Biko. I'm still desperately trying to get him to heel and don't pull on the leash so much. It's getting better every day, but boy a lot of patience is required. Anyway, I was up that hill in no time, thanks to Happy, when I heard Biko's whining behind me. I was so focused on Happy and heeling, that I didn't realize, that we were only a dot in the distance for David and Biko. She wanted to catch up with us, but had to heel. That was kind of funny!
It's still hard to get Happy's attention, when out and about. He does all his heeling, and other commands I give wonderfully, as long as we are in the house, in the driveway, or in the backyard. We set one foot on the road outside our property, and he's a changed dog. I don't exist anymore. I'm just an annoying lump, that he has to drag behind him. Anyway, it's getting slowly better. Patience!

I still knit, in case you are wondering: This is going to be the lovely Hamamelis shawl. I've never knit a shawl that slow! I LOVE the design, you just wait and see after it's blocked! But I'm still missing some of my knitting mojo. Besides, I'm watching MacGyver episodes, and then I make mistakes, or don't know where I am in the pattern. Still, it will be finished eventually. I'm knitting this with Fluffy Cat yarn from Wandering Cat yarns in Pink Pearl. It's an alpaca/silk/cashmere blend - yummy!

Hamamelis in progress

***

12 comments:

knottygnome said...

i love that shawl too. it's on my list to make someday. that yarn looks gorgeous.

Susan said...

I love the action shots too!

Have you tried stopping every time Happy starts to pull on the lead? If not, it would be worth a try. As you walk along, when he starts to tug, just stop walking altogether. Don't give him any eye contact or say anything. I usually cross my arms and look up. When he comes back to see if you died or something, start walking again as soon as the leash goes slack. Another alternative would be the Halti head halter.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Lovely photos ~ I can't believe how big Happy looks now!

That Wandering Cat yarn is going to make a spectacular shawl ~ can't wait to see it all blocked :)

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Nothing better than dogs in snow!

Shawl looks good so far!

2paw said...

They're fabulous pictures!! Gilly will do things for treats. She is very treat oriented!!!

Knatolee said...

It's supposed to be 16C here today!! winter is so done!

The dogs are looking wonderful, so happy and healthy.

Dave said...

I'm certainly not an expert in dog training, etc., but I cured my old Boston Terrier of that habit in one day. The first "walk" we took he was trying to get so far ahead, but couldn't, that he ended up walking just on his hind legs. It was totally embarrassing to be walking down the street that way - LOL! The second day, he was heeled the whole time. How? I switched his collar to one of those poke collars. The third day, back with his regular collar, he was heeled all the way. He was stubborn, but not dumb. :-)

Sharon said...

Happy is a comic! Maybe he thinks he's training you to jog.

The color of your shawl is yummy and very Spring-like. I'm sure it's going to be beautiful. And the fiber ... excuse me while I drool!

SockPixie said...

I love the soft color of the shawl. Last night, I was watching a movie while knitting, and made the same mistake 3 times. I eventually gave up...on the movie that is, and went on knitting.

Gloria Patre said...

That yarn looks sumptuous! I'm sure that shawl is going to be absolutely gorgeous!

illusions said...

Totally love Rin-Tin-Tin and the shawl. Can't wait to see it complete. Happy knitting.

T-Mom said...

FABulous pictures!

The yarn sounds like something I need for my Calendar Scarf. Seriously yummy.

Yes, it does take time to teach them not to pull, doesn't it? But with patience and persistence, it does happen. My two are so much better than they were, once I got serious about it. Now I'm working with Timber to get him to remember I'm attached to the other end of the leash and to check in every once in a while. Baby steps. :)