Friday, March 12, 2010

Handspun Friday - Winter Doldrums

Ginny of FatCatKnits took a break in dyeing her Fiber Club, but she left us with Winter Doldrums mini club, until it's time for regular Fiber Club again.

FatCatKnits-Fiber mini club-Winter Doldrums-10oz-64%texan kid mohair25% superfine merino11% nylon

When she announced that it would be a mohair blend fiber, I was already thinking SOCK YARN! Well, I was certainly surprised when I saw that it was 64% kid mohair, 25% superfine merino and 11% nylon. The braids weight kind of heavy in my hands. I've spun mohair blends before, and am actually spinning a 50/50 blend right now, but the mohair percentage was never more than 50% so far. It really makes a difference, when you like to spin for sock yarn, because mohair has no memory, and no give. I really like a little bit of mohair in my sock yarns, because it makes them even warmer. I doubt however, that I'll use this yarn for socks. I've never spun a 3-ply and knit lace with it, but I might just do that in this case.

By the way, this is 3-ply yarn with a WPI of 22! I questioned my sanity after finishing it. Anyway, I think it looks pretty, still a little hairy, not especially soft. I might have squeezed the life out of this fiber. It sure looked pretty pre-drafted.

FatCatKnits-Winter Doldrums mini fiber club-texan kid mohair-super fine merino-nylon-pre drafted

I made it into 2 skeins, since I wanted to ply with my Elizabeth and the Wooly Winder, because it was so thin. It came out as 544yds total, and as I said 22WPI, 5.7oz. I lost some of the 6 oz, because I had a slight mishap at the beginning of plying. I shouldn't have started plying at that moment, because the dogs where whining in front of me, and I had a million other things I was supposed to do, but I wanted to see how the 3-ply looked. So I did, for the first time in my spinning life, spin in the wrong direction. Very embarrassing! Well, here it is:

FatCatKnits-Winter Doldrums mini club-2skeins-3-ply-22WPI-total 544yds-13

I do have another 4oz of it left, but I'd like to spin it differently, just not right now. I made no progress with any of my WIP's. I've just been spinning, and enjoying it very much. I don't have a mindless knitting project right now, I should change that, but then my shawls will never get done.

And here's a photo of Happy, because this is one of my favorites lately. Sadly the snow is gone now.
Happy Feb.24-9
You really should look at it in the biggest size.

I'm ready when you are!


***

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Monika, das Garn ist wundervoll geworden, zum aus dem Bildschirm zu stehlen!
LG Wollspinne-Monika

SockPixie said...

Your handspun is just luscious!

Natys said...

When i grow up i wanna be like you =P
I start spinning a few weeks ago with a drop spindle, i´m not very good but i´m learning about it. I love your yarns so much, and those beautiful tops.

And always love your puppies photos

Hugs

knottygnome said...

i love those colors! so shiny and pretty!

i'm blending some batts right now with a high percentage of mohair and it's pretty challenging. i've never spun mohair before but at first glance it seems a lot like wensleydale.

susannasplace said...

Könnte ich mir wieder als wärmenden Schal oder Tuch vorstellen. Kannst Du ja bei Deinen Temperaturen eh nie genug haben.

Linda said...

Lovely yarn and a huge yardage too! I have yet to spin with mohair.

http://leafgreenknits.wordpress.com/

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Does mohair make the socks itchy? My mom knit me a purple mohair sweater when I was a kid and I couldn't wear it without a long-sleeve tee underneath because of the itch. Later, when I started knitting I made a mohair afghan, which is now a cat blanket because it's just too itchy for me.

And I think Happy is one of the handsomest dogs in the world

sgeddes said...

Beautiful! Makes me want to spin. Wonder if I can spin with a baby on my lap.

Sharon said...

Your fiber reminds me of candy, the kind you eat. All those colors - be still my heart!

You sure got a lot of yardage out of that fiber (I can only dream of yardage like that!). But what do you make when your fiber has no memory or give? Will the nylon help with that?

Michelle said...

That's kind of funny about plying the wrong way. Distractions never help but sometimes you can't wait! I have 4oz of this fiber but not idea what to do with it. I love how happy Happy looks in the snow. He's looks like such a love. :-)

T-Mom said...

He is such a handsome boy! Hard to believe that just a few months ago he was all ears, isn't it?

I can't wait to see what you knit up with that yarn. :)

Queen of the Tea Cosies said...

Yummy yummy yummy whatever you use it for.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

All I can say is that those jewel tones spun into gorgeous yarn - and it doesn't look like it's spun in a wrong way to me!

Hope you and Happy have a fun weekend :)

Guzzisue said...

pretty:-) wish I could spin this fine still it will come with practise!

Life's a Stitch said...

His name fits him :)

Renata S. P. said...

Monika, this yarn is SO perfect!
Love your handspun =)
And I'm impressed how Happy changed since tle last time I came here! =0

Jeanne said...

The yarn is gorgeous - you really are an amazing spinner.

Love the picture of Happy - he is definitely saying "let's go!"

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Handspun! I can understand the distractions - I haven't even tried to spin since the puppy arrived - I'm afraid she'll go straight for the wheel!

hannah said...

Dear Monika, How lovely these colours are! I am a little bit embarrassed of my not leaving comment for such a long time. But I did see your lovely projects en beautiful pictures of your dogs! Thank you for keeping in touch with me by commenting on my blog. I hope everything is going well with you. Love, Hannah

tecendo-arte said...

I am amazed at their wool Monika!
Too bad that here in Brazil have not seen this kind of manual labor, I'm in love with it all!
Excuse my English.