Monday, March 22, 2010

Puppy Love Forever!

Puppy Love socks were cast on back in the December 2009. It was the last project I started, but did not finish. It took me until the end of February to finally finish this pair.

Puppy Love socks

But first, I did finish my Hamamelis shawl yesterday. It's blocking, really it's dry already, just have to get the pins out.
On Saturday we went hiking to Lake Marie at the Monastery nearby. It looks so different now, that everything is still brown and grey, no green whatsoever. It was Happy's first hike, and our first one this year. The path was flooded in several spots, but we were able to jump over the worst parts, and did just get wet a little bit. The ponds had a thin layer of ice still on them, but there were Canada geese making a hell of a noise. I forgot to take my camera. Only one other human crossed our path, which got Happy pretty excited. Usually there are many hikers around. Biko did enjoy the walk too, but after we got home she didn't move much for a while.
On Sunday she felt poorly again. Drank a lot of water, but did not want to eat at all, not even tasty treats, and we had to lure her outside to pee. Usually she's the first out the door. I'm going to make an appointment with the Vet for her, because I have no idea what's going on with her.

Puppy Love socks
So here are the specs for the socks:

pattern: Puppy Love by Pauline Schultz from the book "The Joy of Sox" (this might just be my favorite sock book at the moment! If you can only affored one sock knitting book, that's the one to get.)
yarn: Regia 4-ply, lime green # 01092 (this yarn was a gift from Christa - thanks again!) I love this kind of green.
needles: 2.5mm (could have used a smaller size)
mods: I didn't like to knit the lace pattern on my heel flap, so I replaced the whole heel with a different one. I also made the leg longer: more rounds on the ribbing of the cuff, 10 lace pattern repeats instead of 4.
start-finish: Dec. 27, 2009 - Feb. 28, 2010

Puppy Love socks in use
I loved the zig-zag cast on for these socks, they make them extra special. It's not hard to do either. I've worn them several times, and I love them.

I've also done a little crochet:
Dark spread

The basic pattern for this square comes from "Sunny Spread" by Ellen K. Gormley, but I've made it a little bigger. I still don't think I have the stamina to make enough for a blanket.
***

17 comments:

illusions said...

They are fantastic indeed!

lexa said...

The socks are great! Love the color. I'm a green gal. :)

CelticCastOn said...

lovely socks, I love that bright green. Hope everything is ok with Biko!

momsue84 said...

Terrific socks. I, too, love that book. Here's hugs and good thoughts from Milo and I to Biko. Sure hope she is ok.

Michelle said...

I love that lime color! It's perfect. I hope Biko feels better soon. Nimitz is sending her good thoughts.

shannon said...

pretty socks!

hope the vet figures out what's going on and it's just a little bug that Biko has...xo

Sharon V said...

I love your new socks, and the book sounds like a must have.

Poor Biko, I hope it's nothing serious, and I'll send her my 'get well doggie' prayers.

Charlene said...

Love your new socks! Your Sunny Square Afghan piece doesn't even look like it was crocheted it looks knitted! Which got me thinking with patterns like that the temptation is getting stronger to start up crochet again. I agree with you regarding stamina. I just don't know if I've got it to do that many squares, but the yarn you're using looks beautiful in this pattern. I've been keeping tabs on your posts regarding Biko. Hope the vet appt. goes well, and with the spring weather she'll be back to new!

T-Mom said...

Hugs to Biko--I hope she's okay. Please let us know what the vet says!

And I love your green socks. I was going to take a break on sock books, but maybe I'll check into this one.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Great socks! Perfect colour!

Susan said...

I sure hope Biko is okay. It's such a worry when you don't know what's wrong.

Very pretty socks. I may have to put those socks at the top of the to-do list. Who can resist their name and they're pretty too?

My word verification is andon. Do you suppose someone is trying to tell me that I go on andon andon andon....

2paw said...

They are the best socks!! And what a fabulous name too.
Sounds like Happy had a great time and I hope Biko is going well today???

Anonymous said...

I do hope Biko is okay. Hugs to her (and you!).

Sadie sends her get well slurps. :)

Virginia G said...

I hope Biko is feeling better soon.

Very fun with the hiking. Lovely...

And the socks are awesome!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Wonderful socks ~ with a fun name!

Love that amazing green color you used - and speaking of puppies I'll bet Happy would love to get a hold of those :)

pat said...

OK - I need to get the book - I've tried to convince myself I don't need it (which I don't!), but I DO want it...
Wishing the best for Biko!

Gloria Patre said...

These socks are just too cute! Quite a stand-out color too! Nice!