Monday, November 23, 2009

Shetland Shopper and Seaside Tote

I made this Seaside Tote and this Shetland shopper back in May and June of this year.

sewn knit and crochet shopping bags

Ever since they started charging for plastic bags, I've used sewn, knit, crochet, and other reusable bags for shopping.

Shetland shopper 1-5

pattern: Shetland Shopper by Gudrun Johnston
yarn: Luna, elann.com ,Viscose/Cotton, color # 9711, 2.5 balls ~ 273 yds
needles: 3.75 for base and top, 5mm for lace main body
start-finish: May 27-30

Shetland shopper 1-1

If I were to knit this again, I would make the handles sturdier. The bag itself stretches from here to China. You can load it up, and it will take everything and the kitchen sink, except that I don't think the handles could take it. Whenever the cashiers at the store fill it up, their eyes almost pop out, because it stretches so much.

Noro Sakura market bag finished-3

pattern: Seaside Tote Bag by Stefanie Gage
yarn: Noro Sakura Color #4
hook: 4.5mm (G) for bottom base, 5mm (H) for main body
start-finish: June 17 - 20

Noro Sakura market bag finished-1

Here I did a different top. I knew I didn't want to hang it from my shoulder, but fill it up and carry it like a shopping bag. This bag does stretch as well, but not nearly as much as the knit one. It does do it's job well. I loved how the base turned out, but the main body stitch pattern got boring fast. I could not wait to finish it. Anyway, I'm all set with bags for now.

***

Here's one tote bag I did not make myself, you all know where I got that from! It's a great size, and the fabric is not as stiff as I thought it would be. I like it. It can handle a lot of yarn! :o) Here in the photo it sits on a hand stitched table cloth my mother sent me. I have to iron it before I actually use it. Well, that's it for bags right now. I DO love me some bags!

Bob Chasing Yarn Tote Bag

Oh, and I almost forgot to show you this cute little coin purse I've got from Cindy.

coin purse by Cindy 2paws
Thank you, Cindy! :o)

***

9 comments:

2paw said...

Oh that first bag stretches to billio!! I think the crocheted one, though boring to make, looks easier to manage. Oh and there's the coin purse. I hope you can use it!!! I lost mine last week but I had left it at the bakery and they knew it belonged to 'the lady who always wears green' and they gave it back to me the next time I went in. Isn't that a nice story???!!

Renata S. P. said...

Wonderful Bags!
I really like the colourful one =)

RC said...

your bags are great!I love the stretchy bags! I really feel like I've gotten my yarn's worth when knitting them and seeing how much they fill

Sharon V said...

The best part to me about the grocery bags is that the bags stretch wide or long. I'm only 5' tall so wide is good.

Now if they could just invent a bag that won't squash the bread!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Those are terrific shopper bags! I need to make a couple myself for the same reason.

Love the tablecloth your Mum sent - it looks perfect for the holidays!

Cute coin purse too :)

Carrie K said...

Nice bags! I like them all, that big one could weigh a ton if it was filled completely!

Queen of the Tea Cosies said...

Careful! We'll start calling you The Bag Lady.
:-)

They are very noice.

hannah said...

Lovely bags!

Ann said...

Lovely bags. Thanks for the links. I think I will crochet one for shopping.