Friday, December 21, 2007

It's a dog sweater,

.... no it's socks! Two color knitted socks!

Trouble with the mosaic pictures is, that you don't get them to show up as a whole (or I just don't know how to do it right). Anyway, that's why there's this single picture as well.

My creation

I don't know what to say much about them. I saw this cute dog sweater and thought the Norwegian pattern would be nice for socks as well. I was itching to do some color work, like never before, the urge was enormous, so I had to act on it. I made the socks up as I went, except of course, the Norwegian pattern. I cast on 72 sts, on 2.5mm DP needles. The yarn I used is Schoeller & Stahl, Fortissima in black, which is good for the heel and toe part, since it has polyamid in it. The other yarn is the gorgeous "Flamingo" merino yarn from Maggie's Dyed in the Wool Handmade shop (just a satisfied customer).

After I was done with the two color knitting, I had to decrease around the ankles (64sts), and decrease more for the foot (60sts.) At first I wanted to make the heel striped, but my son suggested to make it black and knit a flower in it. Well, yeah, what was I thinking? It was easy to get these socks the same length, because it was easier to count the rows between heel and toes. The two color knitting is not perfect by a long shot, but after washing and blocking it evened out quite a bit. I'm most satisfied and motivated to knit more colorwork. For the instep I used some twisted stitches, so that it was not getting too boring for me (the idea came from the Barcelona socks, but I used a different twisted stitch). Right now, I have looked at them too long, I can't stand it any longer, so I'll put them away for a while, before I start using them.
Paeivi (the designer of the lovely Ambitus neck warmer) sent me a picture of her Kyla mittens. You can see a picture here. Thank you, Paeivi!

I can't say it any better than Santa here :


I'm sure I'll be back before the year is over, but this is the last post for the holidays. So, have a wonderful time with your family and loved ones (two legged or four legged of course).

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those socks look great! I think I'd be wearing them everyday for at least a week. :-) Hope you have a nice holiday!

Margaret said...

Hope your holidays are wonderful!
The contrast between the semi-solid rose and deep black is very dramatic, and the socks look lovely!

Pat said...

Oh my goodness! Those are GORGEOUS socks! You amaze me with your ability to see a pretty colorwork pattern and just turn it into beautiful socks (that doggy sweater is adorable!) Black and "Flamingo" is the perfect color combination. I LOVE THEM!

Anonymous said...

Your socks are absolutely beautiful.

shannon said...

have a wonderful holiday, monika!!! the socks, beautiful. love your son's suggestion of the flowers in the heels. so unique!

Marianne said...

I am LOVING those socks! Beautiful colour combination and that flower on the heel has me completely charmed!

Yarn Devil said...

OOOH!!! I love those socks! Beautiful work! Have a great and happy holiday!!!

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

wow! the socks look great! I love the pink and black and the pattern!


happy holidays!

Cecie said...

oh my god! sind die schön! *inohnmachtfall*

fürs neue jahr wünsch ich mir ein bisschen knitting guru von dir ;o)

viele liebe grüsse & schöne feiertage, liebe monika

Maggie said...

They look fabulous! I love the colourwork at the top.

Michelle said...

Oohh! Lovely socks! I frogged my dog sweater, but I'm going to have to try your socks!

elizabeth said...

I love those socks! They must've been a fast knit too, they seem to have come out of nowhere! :o)

Happy Christmas!

sheila said...

I love those socks! I wish that I had the patience to make a pair like that! I am so jealous!

Have a great Christmas!

Viktoria said...

Cute socks! They look great!

Cecie said...

hey, ja, dawanda ist so ziemlich dasselbe wie etsy, allerdings die deutsche/europäische variante. würde ich zumindest mal so sagen...)

im neuen jahr wirds auch maschenmarkierer und kleine anhängerchen, z.B. für schlüssel geben. vllt. ist dann ja was für dich dabei ;o)

liebe grüsse!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Awesome job on the socks! Love the color combination you used. It must be such fun to have your Kyla mittens showing up all over the place. Congratulations on a wonderful pattern. Have a very happy Christmas!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

PS I forgot to mention the flower in the heel was an awesome idea!

Teresa said...

The socks look wonderful! I think the color work is much better on the socks than a dog sweater myself. :D Of course, that sweater is pretty darn cute. Have a Merry Christmas!! Hopefully Santa gets you something good and fibery for Christmas.

Susanne said...

Liebe Monika,
zum Ende des Jahres noch ein kleiner Gruß von mir an Dich.
Dein Noro-Schal sieht klasse aus (meiner ist noch nicht begonnen), Dein Neckwarmer ist ja total cool, die Farbe und die Machart, das muss gut aussehen am Neck, und Deine zweifarbigen Socken sind auch toll. Mann, wie machst Du das bloß. Wann strickst Du das alles? Tagsüber oder doch eher nur abends? Das musst Du irgendwann nochmal verraten.

Ich wünsche Dir auf diesem Wege ein stimmungsvolles Weihnachtsfest mit Deinen Lieben und danach einen feucht-fröhlichen Rutsch in ein gesundes, glückliches und in allen Lagen erfolgreiches neues Jahr 2008.
Auf bald
Susanne

Tracy Purtscher said...

WOW those are FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!

I'm dang near speechless!

Wishing you and yours
Comfort and Joy for the Holidays.
C-ya in a few days.

hakucho said...

Your lastest sock creation is absolutely amazing. I love color work design with the extra special flower heel!

happy holidays to you too :)

Anonymous said...

I saw them at Ravelry already but it is nice to see them here again. Lovely pictures of these beautiful socks.

Have a merry Christmas!

Knittypants said...

The socks are gorgeous and have a wonderful Christmas!

Anonymous said...

ohhhh loving those socks!!
Have a wonderful christmas! Hope Santa remembers Binko and Sam :)

Anonymous said...

Those socks are the most awesome thing I've ever seen! If there was ever anything that would inspire me to do stranded color work, it would be those.

Absolutely stupendous!

Robbyn

Angelika said...

Those socks look awesome. It's amazing how easily some patterns can be changed into something else. The colors really pop, but I understand that you need to rest your eyes after all that flamingo color. Happy Holidays and merry christmas.

herzlichkreativ said...

Hallo Monika

ich wünsche dir wunderschöne, lichtervolle Weihnachtstage und hoffe, dass dir das kommende Jahr viel Frohes und Gutes bringt.

Liebe Grüsse
Rina

PS Die zweifarbigen Socken sind supertoll !!

Mumintroll said...

Die Socken sehen wunderschön aus.
Auch ich wünsche schöne Weihnachten

Debi said...

Stunning socks! Happy Holidays Monika!!

Heike said...

Liebe Monika,
die Socken sind traumhaft - fast zu schade um sie anzuziehen. Die Farbe ist zwar ein wenig ungewöhnlich passt aber super zum Muster. Und wie gleichmässig Du gestrickt hast!!
Ich wünsche Dir das tollste Weihnachten aller Zeiten!!!!

Heike und Wilma

The socklady said...

Just beautiful, am inspired to try a pair.

Strickfimmel said...

Supertolle Socken. alle Achtung! Und die Farben passen gut zusammen, da sie einen prima Kontrast haben,so das das Muster klasse zur Geltung kommt. Gefallen mir ausgeprochen.
Auf diesem Wege wünsche ich Dir und Deinen Lieben nochmals ein schönes Weihnachtfest und einen guten Rutsch ins Neue Jahr.

Carrie K said...

Those socks are darling. I saw them on Ravelry too.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Monika!

Anonymous said...

Your socks are great! I love the heel flaps especially. Happy Holidays!

Violiknit said...

Wow!!! I love those socks! The heel flower is inspirational!