Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Christmas came early!

Last night it rained, then snow fell. It was so warm that everything was like slushy under your feet, and oh so wet. This morning the whole mess was frozen and crunchy underfoot. The steps are slippery with ice, the driveway will be hard to shovel, especially after the snow plough came by, and shoved the compacted snowy mess into every driveway. And still - I like it better now, than in high summer. For me it starts getting uncomfortable around -20C.The following pictures come from two different orders from the same place. There's one sock yarn missing, but for the sake of symetry I didn't include it in this picture. You spinners out there be strong!

My creation

I can't get enough of looking at those delicious colorways. I found my new favorite dyer, and she's local! :o)

I'm talking about Maggie, and her little Dyed in the Wool Handmade shop.

I'm looking for an appropriate sock pattern for her wonderful sock yarn. I love the almost solid colors. The hardest thing now is to choose what to spin first, and what to knit next.

Please don't hate me, because I've got the most wonderful fiber stash! ;o)

Last night I started on "Twigs & Berries". Merino is wonderful to spin with. I split the roving just in four long pieces, to get long color repeats. I'd like to Navajo ply it. Hopefully the singles will not break. We'll see.

20 comments:

sgeddes said...

I love to look at ice form winter storms! It makes for such pretty pictures. I just hope everyone is okay and safe.

You were right about those fibers! So pretty. I'll have to check out her oline shop and see if she ships to the US. That batch you are working on now looks wonderful. The colors are so pretty.

picperfic said...

your yarn does look yummy...made me want to learn to spin more than ever now!

Elemmaciltur said...

When can I come live with you and pet your stash? :-p

Teresa said...

I like how that twigs and berries is spinning up! Wow. That would be a great hat or scarf! I'm liking that roving on the bottom on the left..the bright colored one. It's beautiful! I like the multicolored rovings much better than the plain. I've got a bunch of plain and it's kind of boring. :(

Don't worry I don't hate you...I just envy you a lot! :D

Yarn Devil said...

I love all your fibre!! And what gorgeous colourways!!!! Sooo beautiful!!! :D

Tracy Purtscher said...

You said, "Please don't hate me, because I've got the most wonderful fiber stash! ;o)"

I can't think of a better reason. ;o) Woman, you are killing me here. I'm going to be dreaming of those rovings all day long!!!

hakucho said...

Beautifu fiber and yarn!! You'll be very busy now with all this new loot :)

Irene said...

When I see the delicious yarns you manage to make I get very itchy fingers!!!

Knittypants said...

Love the fiber in the top right corner, the colors are just gorgeous.

I am a winter girl, too. Summer is just too hot!

Cloudberry said...

The ice make it pretty though! But I'm glad we don't have it here, hate to drive the car when it's ice on the roads...

Your yarn looks beautiful!

Carrie K said...

Ice and snow and cold! It sounds lovely. -20 though? Jeepers, I'm cold at 50 F.

Wow, that fiber looks scrumptious. I will be strong though! I will not learn to spin! Yet.

Anonymous said...

mensch Monika - da schlägt ja das Herz jeder Spinnerin höher - gaaanz tolle Farben........

Liebe Grüsse von einer leicht neidischen - Manuela - zwinker

Maggie said...

Thanks, Monika! That's a huge compliment! :)

Strickfimmel said...

Die Farben sind traumhaft! Jetzt kann ich verstehen, warum Dich das Spinnen nicht losläßt. Es kribbelt mir immer mehr in den Fingern und ich erwische mich dabei, daß ich im Internet nach Spinnrädern Ausschau halte?!

Margaret said...

What wonderful colors! This will be so much fun to see them all as you spin them.

Anonymous said...

It is a beautiful stash indeed. Lovely colors.

Nice picture of the ice!

hannahknits

T-Mom said...

(whimper) It's all so beautiful!

Angelika said...

Wow, all of that fluff. You are planning on having a long winter? Lots of time to spin and then to knit it all up. No fair, you get play with it twice.

Kat said...

You vile temptress, you!! Those rovings are making me drool.

Good luck with the singles not breaking when you ply! I just wound off some singles I'd been working on for waaay too long and one section kept breaking on me (over and over....) but you're a much better spinner than I am, so I'm sure you'll be just fine!

Violiknit said...

What a gourmet fiber feast for the eyes! I love your icicle picture.