Monday, February 20, 2012

October Sky Cowl

I've named this cowl after the name of the yarn I used.

WCY-Alley Cat-October Sky-sw Merino-nylon-460yds

This is the most worn knit item in this winter, next to my second handspun Rikke hat. As soon as I've unpinned this cowl, and it was dry, photographed, I wound it around my neck and have only taken it off, when I went to bed, and into the shower. I think it's time to give it a bubble bath again, just to get it back into shape.

Well, here it is:

October Sky cowl

October Sky cowl

October Sky cowl

yarn: Wandering Cat Yarns, Alley Cat, colorway October Sky.
needles: 4mm
size after blocking: 6" x 64"

pattern: made it up: if you want to give it a try, it's really easy:
CO 220 stitches; close to knit in the round;
* k10, p10* repeat to end of round.
knit these rounds for 40 rounds.
Knit 3 garter ridges. (Starting with a purl round after the first 40 rounds.)
*Purl 10, Knit 10* for another 40 rounds.
Bind off loosely.

This cowl is reversible.

I was afraid I would not be able to wind it twice around my neck, but it stretched quite a bit. If I would knit this again, and I might, I would use either 200 or 210 sts. - totally enough, if you don't want to let it hang too far down.

At first I wanted to knit some socks with this yarn, but hated how it pooled. But I still wanted to knit the with this yarn, so I thought it would be interesting to see how it looked knit in a really big loop.

infinity cowl

It was a surprise that it made some kind of stripes. I think this cowl would be great for any of those hand painted skeins, that are totally wild in color, and nobody knows what to do with it.

Wandering Cat Yarns have one of those skeins in their shop right now, which I covet very much, but I'm on a yarn buying diet. This skein would totally be made into a cowl, if it were mine. :o)

***

13 comments:

CelticCastOn said...

I love how it stripes! Beautiful!

Zenitude said...

Lovely cowl and thanks for the pattern. I like that it's reversible.

julia in KW said...

lovely pattern...now to go stare at my stash....hmmmmm!

Walden said...

Very nifty how different it ended up looking knitted in something larger! Good call, it looks lovely.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I am definitely going to have to make that colourway again!

The cowl is gorgeous.

Redberry Cottage said...

Thank you for the pattern. I really like the yarn too.

Nina, Myshka, Sasha, Betsy, Lucy, Phoebe and Lily

Susan said...

Your pattern is perfect for that yarn! It's just beautiful!

Mr. Puffy said...

It's absolutely stunning! A perfect match of yarn with pattern ~ the design is both sophisticated and wearable ~ thank you so much for sharing your pattern :))) BTW the picture of Maggie sitting on the table is amazing ~ and fun to see all the gang out playing in the white stuff.

Frieda said...

I love the colors , another beautiful knit ,

2paw said...

It does make stripes, you can never really tell what will happen with dyed patterns. It's lovely and even better because you have loved wearing it!!

Maryse said...

How cute and refreshing!

monica said...

So pretty!! Thanks for the pattern!

Sharon said...

Clearly I'm behind in my blog reading because I totally missed this cowl! I love the colors and the concept.

I imagine if I cast on 220 stitches I'd find a way to work some cable in there somewhere - just to keep it interesting.