♥ long post - lots of pictures ♥
Last year, can't remember which month it was, FatCatKnits Magnolia was the colorway of the month. I've got 6oz of it, and I was spinning it with a shawl in mind. I separated the colors, and spun them from the green end to the dark purple end. This was going to be a beautiful shawl! I had the yarn in two skeins, because my bobbin only takes 4oz at a time.
The finished yarn was sitting around for a while, but in the back of my mind I was always trying to figure out what pattern I would use with it. Then, one day I picked it up, wound the two skeins into cakes, and cast on a shawl.
I didn't like it. Well, I didn't like how the lace part looked, and since it's Falkland, it was not the softest either. It certainly is fine for socks, and mittens, but I knew I would not want to wear it around my neck. The colors were too bright to give a shawl as a gift, I thought, so I had a sleepless night over what to do with it then. It was almost 600yds! Several things came to mind, but when I woke up the next morning (of course I got some sleep), I knew that I would knit Burning Stripes socks!
I could not cast on fast enough to see how it would turn out.
I love the contrasting stripes down the back. I didn't do the short row heel as in the pattern, but let the stripe run along the heel until I started the toe decreases.
All the while I was knitting these, I was thinking "That's what it is all about!" Over and over agaian, while I was looking at the colors, the stripes, and how they played together. From fiber to socks.
The toes ended in this redish color and ...
it continued at the cuff of the second sock.
Only to turn purple in the end. The yarn weight was fingering weight, and was perfect for needle size 2.25mm. I don't like lose kit fabric for socks. I could not believe how perfect they were. Made me really happy!
Well, and then, there was left over yarn. I knew if I put it away, I would probably never get back to knitting with it, and I didn't want that. So I was thinking it might be enough for a pair of fingerless mittens.
I cast on, and since I was worried of running out of yarn, I knit the cuff shorter than I normally like.
Turns out, I had more than enough for full mittens!
By the way, I knew both socks, and the mittens would not match, but I did not care one bit!
After the mittens were done, I still had some left over yarn, so I did a quick crochet border on the cuffs, and I really like how it turned out. Look at those little picots, sweet!
A little heart formed by thumbs up!
O.K. now there was still some left over yarn, but screw it! I think I've used up my Magnolia yarn quite effectively.
I haven't spun at all this last week. Had to knit a quick pair of socks, and I was working on my Old Forge blanket, but I'm going to get back to the wheel asap! I'm already missing spinning too much.
Have a wonderful weekend!