Friday, February 03, 2012

Handspun Friday - Old Forge

The pattern is finally out, and I've cast on, and knit, knit, knit until my hands ached. Am I done yet? Noooo. I'm about 45% along, no picture of it, because it's punched up on a circular needle, not much to see yet.

What am I talking about? Old Forge blanket by Stephen West! As soon as I saw this blanket, I knew I wanted to spin for it. I had a bag full of variegated BFL fiber, and started spinning.

34oz variegated BFL dyed with color Key Lime, total of 1,327yds-worsted weight yarn-chain plied
This is 34oz transformed into mostly chunky yarn. 1,327yds, chain plied, to be exact.
I didn't leave it at that; I wanted to dye it too. Hanging yarn out to dry in January!
34oz variegated BFL dyed with color Key Lime, total of 1,327yds-worsted weight yarn-chain plied
Of course it didn't dry, even if it was a windy day. At least it didn't drip anymore.

I LOVE how it turned out!
34oz variegated BFL dyed with color Key Lime, total of 1,327yds-worsted weight yarn-chain plied

34oz variegated BFL dyed with color Key Lime, total of 1,327yds-worsted weight yarn-chain plied

This is the main color.

34oz variegated BFL dyed with color Key Lime, total of 1,327yds-worsted weight yarn-chain plied

For the color in the middle, I spun some Corgi Hill Farm Falkland, dyed for me, called "Monika's Muse".
Corgi Hill Farm-Falkland 5oz-Monika's Muse-2

yarn: 229yds, chain plied

Corgi Hill Farm-Falkland-6.4oz-chain plied- total of 229yds-Color B-Monika's Muse

Once I had that all done, I was hoping for the pattern to be released, but not yet. So I got to thinking, and decided I wanted to do the border edge in a third color.
I found some more variegated BFL in my stash, not quite the same, a little darker blend, but good enough.

variegated BFL from the UK
This yarn had to go into the dye pot as well. Royal Purple was what I wanted, and by god, this is impossible to photograph. That's the best I could do.
vBFL-chain plied-657yds-royal purple-16oz
This turned out 657yds from 16oz.
I LOVE how this turned out. You should see it in person!
So here they are together.
handspun yarn for Old Forge blanket

I've cast on as soon as the pattern came out. Started with DP, and ever increasing circulars. I'm kind of stuck right now. I need 60" circ, and of course don't have them. Found them online, and have to wait now, for them to get here. I'm loving this project, and am already planning a second one. I found some yarn in my handspun stash I didn't know what to do with, and I think it's perfect for the middle color. Just have to spin the main color. FUN!

***
Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!

***

23 comments:

Freyalyn said...

What glorious colours - can't wait to see it. (I've just cast off one that was all bunched up on circular needles, and currently got another that's on three to hold all the stitches it will have in the end!)

Alexandra said...

Oh Monika, it's going to be beautiful! Can't wait to see pictures! Love the yarn you dyed, the colors are so pretty. You are amazing!

Ann said...

Oh, what beautiful yarns!
You are so good at colors!
I'm looking forward to see the result.

2paw said...

How beautiful the colours are, and how wonderful to have your own special colour!! I hate waiting to start so I hope everything happens quickly now you are ready!!

Unknown said...

Oh. My. God. That is going to be gorgeous!

Chery said...

What a beautiful project! Can't wait to see it completed.

Knatolee said...

These are all lovely but my favourite is Monica's Muse!

Zenitude said...

My goodness, that blanket is going to be so beautiful. I love all the dyeing and the colours are bright, happy colours.

momsue84 said...

I love the colors you chose for Old Forge. I have Book 3 but haven't started a project from it, yet. Wow! I love all the patterns. You are so ambitious to spin, dye and knit from your own yarn!! Can't wait to see the finished product.

LaurieM said...

Oh lord! That is so beautiful, don't wait for a new circular, press your spares or your friends needles into service. You can use circulars as really long DPNs. Though I recommend point protectors....

knottygnome said...

wow, that blanket is going to be amazing! your dyeing is so gorgeous. love the depth you achieved with the mixed BFL.

Sharon said...

Color me green with envy! I love what you've done with the dyeing and your color choices and can't wait to see your blanket.

Enjoy your weekend.

Stephanie said...

Really looking forward to see how this all comes together! (sjn821)

Mr. Puffy said...

You. Are. Amazing. Period. That is going to be the most spectacular blanket ever!!! I still haven't knit a KW pattern but I have a few in my library and hopefully soon I'll be merrily CO!

Susan said...

What an ambitious project! The yarn is so beautiful!

elizabeth said...

Monika, you have to tell me what dye you used for the fabulous green! I think I can dye the purple, but I always have problems when it comes to yellow/green/ochres!

Please!

it's going to be fabulous!

Herta Haunschmid /quer durchs leben said...

Monika wie bist du fleißig ich kann dich nur bewundern!!
Liebe grüße aus dem kalten Bad Schallerbach wo ich zur Zeit meine Reha verbringe.
Herta

cauchy09 said...

your yarn always looks good enough to eat! can't wait to see this blanket, of course. it will be amazing.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Oooh - I can't wait to see that knit up.

Andi said...

That is a whole lot of love!!!!
So excited to see it when it is done.

Beverly said...

This is going to be gorgeous. I love the colors you dyed. How do you dye such large batches.

Virginia G said...

Loving the yarn! Looks fabulous, and I can't wait to see the final. :)

Rhonda said...

Holey Crap, that is going to be amazing, you did a wonderful job.