Friday, July 01, 2011

Handspun Friday - Damson

Happy Canada Day to all Canadians!

***
I've spun this fiber recently, and what a joy it was.
Kimber Baldwin Designs-Damson-80merino-20silk-4oz

There was a smudge on the lens, which I saw only later, so that's the blurry thing in the middle of the photo. This is fiber from Kimber Baldwin Designs, colorway Damson, 80% merino/20% silk. I love gradiating colorways.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
I didn't go for totally thin this time, I wanted to get about 170yds from 4oz, but overshot it, and got 208yds. To much for the project I had in mind, and I really wanted to use all of it in one go.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

It's chain plied. I think the colors are prettier in person, from golden to royal blue, and purplish in between.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

While I was spinning the pups are never far away, busy watching their eyelids from the inside.

June 15-afternoon while I was spinning

Sometimes they change position, which is very exhausting.
June 15

And Happy tried for the Pretzel position, not quite, buddy, keep trying.

June 15

Well, this is a long weekend for many. I'm very excited about Tour de Fleece, which starts tomorrow. I haven't spun anything in over a week, and am itching to dig into my box of fiber. I'm hoping to finish knitting my test knit today, and block it over the weekend. I can't wait to see it unfolded, since it's just a big plop right now.

edited to add: I forgot to mention that you can see an old photo of Happy in this newsletter by Holly Ault for the Lanark Animal Shelter. Was he ever that small?

Wish you all a wonderful weekend!
***

11 comments:

momsue84 said...

Love Denny's relaxed pose. Milo sleeps like that all the time. Happy Canada Day!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Love Denny belly-up!

Carrie#K said...

He was such a cute baby! He's still cute. They look positively indolent.

I love the colors in the spinning this week! They look vibrantly summery.

Beverly said...

Gorgeous fiber. The colors are fantastic.

LaurieM said...

Happy looks like an entirely different breed of dog in his baby pic! He's ridiculously cute!

Your spinning is gorgeous, as always. I'm off to troll the net for that fiber vendor...

Anonymous said...

I love the sleeping puppy pictures. So adorable.

That yarn is gorgeous. What a wonderful mixture of colors.

Sharon said...

I love what you've done with your fiber. The colors are so bright and cheery.

Today's puppy post just goes to show you how content dogs don't have a worry in the world. Look at them relaxing! I wish I could fall out like that.

AdrieneJ said...

That first picture of the doggies made me laugh out loud! If you need an example for how to relax, just check out that picture!

Can't wait to see what you do with that yarn. Beautiful!

Walden said...

Beautiful yarn!

Virginia G said...

Wow that graduated yarn is gorgeous!

And love the dogs. Your commentary on their sleeping was cracking me up today!

2paw said...

It's a tough job- all that relaxing!! The colours are very beautiful in your wool. Happy Canada Day!!!