Monday, February 07, 2011

January socks - done!

This weekend I had a hankering for carrot cake. I've seen this recipe on Lucy in the Attic's blog. She made it sound mouthwatering good, and it's very easy, so I gave it a try.

Feb.5-Carrot Cake with cream cheese-butter-orange icing-5

Not bad. I really liked it. I didn't wait long enough for the icing to harden, before slicing the cake, but I like room temperature food more than cold, from the fridge. Contrary to Lucy though, I love cream cheese (all kinds of cheese really), so I made a butter/cream cheese/orange/sugar icing. Yummy! Needs some tea to go with it to round it all up.

BTW- some people asked me for the recipe for my "Reindling". I'll have to translate it first, but I will put it up here.

***
One of my knitting goals for this year was to knit a pair of socks each month (or more if possible). Well I did finish my first pair in time.

Theme & Variations socks-done-5

pattern: Theme & Variation socks by Elizabeth Sullivan
yarn: 100% superfine merino (how long will they last? so thin, so soft) came as a kit from Sweet Paprika Design
needle: 2.25mm, 5 DP
start-finish: January 7 - 28, 2011
size: womens 11
mods: since the cuff was dark blue, I wanted the toes to be dark blue too. I shortened the leg part, because I thought I'd run out of yarn. Not so.

Theme & Variations socks-done-8

These socks turned me into a whiny being. I'm not going to knit with more than two colors in a row any time soon again. I'm so glad they are done. I like how they look though.

Theme & Variations socks-done-7

I've already picked out my next pair. I also finished shawl # 3 this weekend, and cast on shawl # 4, which is the Blooming Mystery KAL shawl. Didn't do much spinning over the weekend, oh well.
***

27 comments:

MiA said...

Very beautiful socks!

2paw said...

Your socks are gorgeous, and even though they made you whiny, I think they were worth it.
Mmm that cake looks scrumptious!! I love cream cheese icing as well.

Katha said...

mmmmmhh, that cake looks and sounds very delicious! maybe i'll give it a try soon =)

Anna said...

What a gorgeous pair of socks, they make me want to knit myself a pair.

momsue84 said...

Gorgeous socks, and that carrot cake makes me so hungry! Carrot cake is my all time favorite. Can't wait to see your shawls!

CelticCastOn said...

holy cow that carrot cake looks delicious! I want to eat it NOW!!!
Love the socks even though you hated knitting them. I've been thinking of purchasing the pattern and using scraps for mine.

Catherine said...

The colours and pattern on those socks are gorgeous (I agree about knitting in many colours, not for me!)

keri said...

Oh what beautiful socks! I love the color combo!

Michelle said...

I really like the sock colors. I've stopped being too afraid of colorwork but I'm not sure I want to do it on socks. The cake looks yummy.

Unknown said...

The cake looks super yummy! And I too prefer my baked goodies while they are warm. I am trying out knitting socks for the first time this year and It is an interesting experience. I am aiming for a pair of socks every two months as I am not all that fast with dpns yet. I also have a blog if you're interested in checking it out, http://ashleysknittingadventures.blogspot.com/

Kathy said...

I knew that was a SPD. Good info on the multi colors. i'm just starting colorwork. I love her fish socks but your socks look fab

Tricô e Mais Tricô said...

Monika was your cake look great! I even had a desire to do!
As the half, I loved, it was beautiful!

Päivi, Lankakomero said...

Socks are beautiful, lovely blue shades!

Laurie said...

Beautiful, beautiful socks! I think they were well worth every whine. LOL!

The carrot cake looks so good - might have to make some for my husband (who likes it more than I do).

Susan said...

I haven't had carrot cake in years and yours looks so good! The socks are drop dead gorgeous but I know that I would run out of patience for knitting them.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Your socks are so cheerful and fun ~ a beautiful color selection and pattern choice!

The carrot cake looks fabulous but it's the bread recipe that I'll be waiting for :)

Carrie#K said...

They might have made you whiny but they're so cute! I love blue and sunshine colors together.

That carrot cake looks DELICIOUS. I think that's what I've been hankering for.

Beverly said...

Beautiful socks. Such a wonderful color combination.

hakucho said...

Very cute socks!!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Oh that carrot cake is making my mouth water (carrot cake with cream cheese frosting is one of my weaknesses!) Great socks.. but I want shawl pics!!! ;)

Delusional Knitter said...

I am drooling over here, the icing melting like that, oohhh!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Your socks are beautiful. Quite an acomplishment with all the colorwork for a pair of socks a month!

Becky said...

Beautiful socks! I love the slight variations in the blue.

Debbie said...

Stunning socks and that cake looks oh, so yummy!

Anonymous said...

Love the socks, especially the colors.
margieinmaryland

Queen of the Tea Cosies said...

Beautiful beautiful beautiful clever socks.

monica said...

Your socks are so pretty!!

illusions said...

Thanks for the wonderful recipe! Will try out tomorrow and get back...loved the socks and yet again think you are genius.