Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Herbivore!

My first finished shawl this year was Herbivore! It's more like a scarf, but a nice one. I've had this purchased pattern for quite some time. I even cast on for it twice before, but never liked the yarn I used for it.
Herbivore done-2

It's finally done! I like it very much, especially the softness of the yarn. I was not so sure about how the colorway would work out, after the first 15 rows or so, I thought, I would over dye it for sure, but the more I knit, the better I liked it.
Herbivore done-7

It had probably something to do with the name of the yarn, " After the storm", what fitting name!

Herbivore done

Well, I love it!
This is another design of Stephen West, although an older one. Here are the specifics:

pattern: Herbivore by Stephen West
yarn: Wandering Cat Yarns Top Cat (merino/cashmere/nylon blend). I used 83g of the skein, or 361 yds. I would wear underwear made from this yarn, it's so soft, and nice next to skin.
needles: 4mm
start-finish: Jan. 2-6, 2011
mods: the only thing I did differently was to make the garter edge wider, just to make sure it will never curl

This shawl counts as # 1 in 11shawls in 2011. I've picked up my pair of socks again, and finished the first sock, cast on the second. Maybe I will finish the pair this month, but it's agony, I wish they were done already.

***

23 comments:

Froggy said...

What a lovely design! Great job!

Beverly said...

It's lovely! I think the yarn is beautiful and it's good you didn't overdye it. Herbivore is such a nice, classy design. You could knit some undies with that yarn!....there was that thong in IK a few years ago. (eeew)

Lynn One, Purl Two said...

beautiful! i have two of his patterns lingering in my queue. this might have been the final 'push' i needed to cast one on!

CelticCastOn said...

I love this. I don't recall seeing blue and grey in colourways together very often but it should be paired more, its lovely.

TricĂ´ e Mais TricĂ´ said...

Beautiful! Beautiful!
Congratulations!

Mormorstrik og Farmorsysler ❤️ said...

It's lovely and a beautiful colour.
/annie

Rhonda said...

Well you already know how much we love that shawl. Underwear!!! Hmmmm.

monica said...

That is gorgeous! Love the colors!

Virginia G said...

So beautiful! Love it!

I have plans to tackle this one again. It was past me a year and some ago (the twisted stitches just blew my little mind), but I really want to CONQUER!

heh.

I love yours. It is truly lovely.

Stadtwaldvogel said...

Your Herbivore turned out so pretty! The colors are very nice and fresh!
Yours, Julia

knottygnome said...

it's beautiful. those colors really sing!

Miss Marty said...

I really like Stephen West's designs. I have made 3 Herbivores so far. Yours is excellent.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Gorgeous. Im so glad oyu like the Top Cat

hakucho said...

Perfect color to wear with jeans!!

Walden said...

Very lovely. The colors work well with the pattern!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

It's lovely and that yarn was worth the wait :)

I'm about to CO for my first pair of socks in a long long time ~ very happy about that!

ikki said...

That´s lovely design! I had to put it on the "todo"-list.
And yesterdays picture, Maggie and Happy are cute. She want`s to be as him. And she is the king!

Susan said...

So pretty! So my colors.... just saying.

Alexandra said...

Beautiful! I love the color too! :)

Laurie said...

Herbivore has been in my queue for a while, and it's really great to see how beautifully yours turned out. I also love the colorway. I've made several things lately where I wasn't sure I liked the color, then liked it a little bit better when it was wound, then loved it when it was knit.

Delusional Knitter said...

That's beautiful, it looks wonderful in that colorway.

weebug said...

i've been itching to make that one up too. thanks for the inspiration.

La Cabeza Grande said...

I find the colour and the pattern quite lovely.