Friday, January 28, 2011

Handspun Friday plus Game Hat

I've used SAG fiber club fiber from November, and December 2010 to spin yarn for a hat.

Hand spun yarn for Game hat

November Club was 4oz of BFL, called "Leaves under foot". I navajo plied it, and got 129yds of worsted weight yarn. December Club was Merino fiber, called Northern Lights. Another navajo plied yarn with 160yds.

I've got the hat pattern from Virginia Tullock. It's called Game Hat, and I've been wanting to knit it since last year. I finally got the yarn right, even though the pattern gives instructions for multiple gauges, I wanted to use worsted weight yarn, and it's hard for me to spin thicker.

Game Hat

It was fun to knit, but it turned out too big at first, and the top looked a little funny after the final decreases. Nothing to do, but to rip back and shorten it, and fiddle some with the decreases. It worked out in the end. It fits perfectly now, covers my ears, and forehead well, just the way I like/need it. I "outsourced" the pompom, didn't have the patience to do it myself. It's perfect! Tightly wound, and weighs a ton. It lolls around on top, like the head of a drunk.

I've dedicated this month spinning time to SAG fiber (Spinning Awesome Good), except for my Hades yarn on the left. You can see what I've spun, in the following pictures, minus the two above, which I've already used. I had to push myself to get this much done, but it was a lot of fun. Isn't the yarn pretty sitting on my desk? I think I'll leave it there for a while longer to look at.

my January spinning

***
Once again, I wish you all a wonderful weekend!

***

15 comments:

2paw said...

The hat is gorgeous and I am always amazed at how clever you are, to spin the wool and then make the hat, even if you did outsource the pompom!!!

momsue84 said...

The hat is lovely and so is your gorgeous handspun. I've never been good at pompoms, so outsourcing is a great idea. Have a great weekend with the gang!

Michelle said...

Love the hat and extra love the pompom. You've gotten so much spinning done! If the snow stops falling long enough that I can recover from shoveling I hope to start getting more spinning in. Someday!

CelticCastOn said...

This hat is perfection! I love the colour combo.
Such a pretty pile of handspun.

Laurie said...

A wonderful weekend to you, too! Your yarns are fabulous and look just perfect on your desk - love the green paint, too. I don't think I'd have used those two colors of yarn together for the hat - but they work, and it is gorgeous!! Pompoms? Eek. Never made one. :-)

knottygnome said...

it's beautiful! i love the snow pictures.

Crystal said...

Gorgeous hat, love those colours together!!!

Virginia G said...

Gorgeous, as usual!

Susan said...

Wow, you get a lot done in a short amount of time! What a cute hat! Where does one go to outsource a pompom?

Carrie#K said...

That hat is so cute!

I do love your display. No hurry to knit it up.

Have a great weekend!

hakucho said...

Very cute hat!!

Beverly said...

The hat is cute but I love the spun yarn on your desk.

Anonymous said...

Love the hat.
I also loved the video of the shepherd chase.
margieinmaryland

Linda said...

I lov this hat! The shawl is beautiful in your previous post too.

AdrieneJ said...

That last photo is absolutely beautiful! I always love to see what you're spinning... you have such a great eye for what will ply nicely together!