Friday, December 09, 2011

Handspun Friday - Brussel Sprouts

I dyed this fiber back in Spring/early Summer. I had an 8oz pack of Merino/Bamboo/Nylon blend to play with. I wanted the fiber more uniformly green, but that's the way they blend took up the colors. As soon as I saw it, I had to think of Brussel Sprouts, and that's the name that stuck, looking at the finished yarn.

dyed some merino/bamboo/nylon

I spun it thick, and even though I had four skeins in the end, the total amount was only 304yds.
Somehow I don't feel the love for bamboo blended fibers, so in the future I'll avoid them if possible.

Well, enough talk, here are the pictures.

Brussel Sprouts-merino/bamboo/nylon total of 304yds from 8oz

Brussel Sprouts-merino/bamboo/nylon total of 304yds from 8oz

Brussel Sprouts-merino/bamboo/nylon total of 304yds from 8oz

Brussel Sprouts-merino/bamboo/nylon total of 304yds from 8oz

O.K. that's enough veggie's for one day!

***
Hope you are having a wonderful weekend! We've got snow flurries right now. It's more like snow dust.
***

14 comments:

knottygnome said...

i don't mind bamboo blends most of the time. if there's too much it starts to feel unpleasantly plastic-y. i like the colors of your yarn though. i love it when unexpected things happen in dyeing.

Chery said...

I love your green spun yarn. Beautiful skeins. Sorry you don't like bamboo... I do, but I spin it very thin and chain ply for socks. I've been getting 470-480 with 100 grams.

CelticCastOn said...

I don't like Brussel Sprouts but your look yummy :)
We had no power all day yesterday thats to the rain/wind storm we had.
Still no snow here.

Unknown said...

Brillant color. Brillant name.

Tina said...

First I thought the colour looked very "spring-y", but as Brussels sprouts itis just perfect for winter. Love it.

Unknown said...

This yarn is gorgeous! I am always so in love with your handspun.

Stephanie said...

I always love green, so I think this yarn looks great!

Carrie#K said...

Beautiful! A little sprightly for Brussel's sprouts but so not the point. :) Your handspun is always so gorgeous.

Walden said...

It looks lovely! I haven't tried a bamboo blend, but I am trying to broaden my horizon. I finally got some alpaca to try.

Susan said...

I'm not crazy about spinning bamboo blends either. Your yarn turned out really beautiful though!

Bea said...

ich wusste nicht, dass du auch selber färbst. Dein grüner Kammzug ist doch sehr schön geworden, auch wenn du es anders geplant hattest.

Danke auch für die Info zu Bambus.

2paw said...

I love Brussel Sprouts and the name is perfect!! Maybe you could add some bacon?? Everything is improved with bacon!!!

Lifesastitch said...

Brussel sprouts are my favourite. They look good in yarn, too.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Oh my! G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S! Those are some Brusselsprouts I could really enjoy!