Friday, December 16, 2011

Handspun Friday - 50/50

Earlier this year, I found this bag with 8oz of roving in my fiber stash. It's the left bag we are talking about today.
roving

It looked huge, and I was surprised that it only amounted to 8oz in the end. Barely readable it said, 50 % Border Leicester, and 50% Kid Mohair (bought in 2008).
I grabbed a handful from the bag, and started spinning as I usually do, with a short forward draw. But since it's roving, and not combed top, that did not work out so well. I soon started to do some kind of long draw, there was just no other way to handle this. I was surprised how fast the bobbin filled, and how fluffy, and airy the singles on it were.

8oz-2-ply-50BorderLeicester 50 Kid Mohair- total of 634yds-1

I made 2-ply yarn out of it. It's a bit bumpy, but I was surprised how well it worked for me to do long draw spinning for the first time successfully.

8oz-2-ply-50BorderLeicester 50 Kid Mohair- total of 634yds-1

I've got 634yds in total. It feels kind of ropey, and it's a bit hairy from the mohair, but I love the look of it. I wonder if it softens after a bath, after knitting. It had a finishing bath already, and it was nice while wet.

8oz-2-ply-50BorderLeicester 50 Kid Mohair- total of 634yds-1

8oz-2-ply-50BorderLeicester 50 Kid Mohair- total of 634yds-1

This should make some kind of shawl some day, but really, I have no idea right now which one. I don't want to dye it either.

I haven't spun in ten days or so, and I don't think I'll have much time to do so for the rest of the year, but I still have some finished handspun yarn to show here.

While I'll do a lot of cleaning the upcoming days, the pups will most likely take it easy.
taking it easy

taking it easy

***
As always, I'm wishing you all a wonderful weekend!

***

8 comments:

Freyalyn said...

Happy and Maggie look remarkably festive on the sofa together. Denny's just comfy! I think you'll love whatever you knit from the new yarn - it should drape wonderfully. And it glows a beautiful warm white. Have a lovely weekend yourself.

2paw said...

Happy and Maggie look gorgeous their on the Christmas coloured blanket. Denny is so sweet, I love his light coloured end of tail!! Your new wool does look light and airy.

knottygnome said...

this is why i love roving. it makes spinning longdraw so easy! it looks like a nice rustic-y sort of yarn. i'm impressed you got through it all. i'm sure i would've gotten bored after 2oz.

Bea said...

Ich frage mich gerade, was du da noch an "cleaning up" mach möchtest. Wenn mein Boden mal so glänzen würde, wie Deiner, dann würd ich sagen "all cleaned up"

Grüßle, die Bea
und schöne Weihnachten.

Freyalyn said...

2paw, my favourite bit of Denny is his lovely speckled front legs!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

There is just something lovely about a plain,natural yarn isn't there?

hope the pups are getting well rested!

Susan said...

Wow - that is lovely consistent yarn for your first long draw spinning! Border Leicester is a long wool so won't soften up too much but I think a shawl is a great choice for that beautiful yarn! It's really pretty as is but if you decide to dye it, both Border Leicester and Kid Mohair take dye beautifully with lots of luster.

Charlotte said...

I just love those pictures of your dogs -- and more beautiful handspun.
Merry Christmas!