Friday, June 11, 2010

Handspun Friday - Violet Blue meets Mixed Blessings Purple colorway

The windows are DONE! It took them three full days to complete everything. The last day was quite trying for all of us. It was just two guys (instead of the 5 in the beginning) who did the finishing works on all windows and doors. The only thing I'm not thrilled about is the clean up. They didn't do a good job with that. There's nails, little pieces of glass, plastic, and cigarette butts in the front yard.
We've decided to take it easy for the rest of the week, before we continue with our preparations for the floor guys.

I've transfered my photos from my desktop to the laptop, so I can still show you handspun yarn I've finished, as well as doggy pictures, and some finished knits. The desktop computer will be put away until I've got my new place in my new room hopefully soon.

I'm getting used to the laptop, but would still like to have a mouse instead of this pad. Anyway, here's my handspun yarn for this week:

It's made from FatCatKnits superwash merino, two strands of "Violet Blue", and one strand Mixed Blessings purple colorway (Polwarth). It's a 3-ply yarn, about worsted weight.

FCK sw merino & Polwarth-Violet Blue 2 strands-1 strand purple colorway from MB fiber club-~ 163yds worsted weight-7

Since I don't have my Ashford Traditional at hand (it has the jumbo flyer on), I had to ply this yarn in two skeins. There's only a total of ~ 163yds. It's also a little over plied.

FCK sw merino & Polwarth-Violet Blue 2 strands-1 strand purple colorway from MB fiber club-~ 163yds worsted weight-10

I've used "Violet Blues" colorway last Handspun Friday, but played with the colors and made a 2-ply yarn, and it looked very different from this one.

FCK sw merino & Polwarth-Violet Blue 2 strands-1 strand purple colorway from MB fiber club-~ 163yds worsted weight-3

It's not my favorite yarn I've ever made, but it's O.K.

June 4

The boys say Hi!

The pups are a little crazy right now. There's still no way we can use the back yard. Even though the guys clean up at the end of the day, there's still so much stuff around where the pups could hurt themselves, so it's walks, and lots of running around in the house for now.

At least they didn't have to spend yesterday in their crates. They manage to tire themselves out quite nicely.
At one time Denny was holding on to a Frisbee, while Happy was dragging him through the hall. Denny was on his back, and didn't mind at all, but didn't let go either.

Later the same evil pup took the opportunity to drink MY tea! I thought, locked in the living room with lots of toys around, he would be good for a few minutes, until I came back with Happy from his pee break. He could even watch us through the window. I forgot that there was a mug with my tea on the coffee table. As I came back, Denny had his front paws on the table slurping away happily. He got about half of it, didn't spill a drop. Black tea with milk, who knew he would like that?
It's his own fault for being stuck in the crate so much, since I can't trust him at all. O.K. he's still not even 4 month old.

Today I wanted to get some time to predraft some fiber. I didn't want them to be stuck in the crate again, so I gave them a cardboard lid to shred. They had quite a lot of fun, and it took me only 2 minutes to pick the mess up after. I didn't take a picture, but you all know how shredded cardboard looks like, right?

***
Oh that darn laptop. I always hit a key which does things I don't want it to do. So I had to write this post twice! Argh! Anyway, have a nice weekend you all!

***

16 comments:

2paw said...

Look at those sweet Boys!! That sounds like an awfully good game!!

Freyalyn said...

Lovely yarn - I wouldn't call it overplyed, but structured, and much prefer to use it like this. Nice colours too.

What were you holding up for the boys to make them sit so beautifullyl? Just wait until Denny is too big for Happy to haul along...

Alexandra said...

Yay for finished windows!!! They never really clean up do they? I had a plumber come once, it took him five minutes to fix something; it took me over an hour to clean up the mess.

I love the yarn, so many colors in it! I hope to be able to spin something so pretty some day :) Have a great weekend!

CelticCastOn said...

yay for completed windows! We are getting some replaced on the main level sometime this summer but Moose takes care of that with probably Dad's help so I won`t have to worry about Window guys thank goodness. I can just picture Happy pulling Denny down the hall, you should have got that on video!

Friederike Shepherd said...

I just can't get enough of your beautiful boys! And Denny, oh my, he is growing into quite a fancy little lad, having a spot of tea with milk. I bet he'd enjoy a crumpet or two the next time.
How sweet! Thank you for sharing.
Gruesze aus Indiana,
Fritzi

Sharon said...

All that work is wearing ME out and I'm not even there!

You're going to see ... just a little while longer and your life will get back to a better version of normal. The new and updated normal. Just hang in there!

Linda said...

Thats beautiful yarn. Well done on surviving the windows, heres to a speedy floor next!

knottygnome said...

i like the 3ply! it looks very squishy in a way that i always try to make my handspuns but it never quite works out that way.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I think the yarn is pretty darn neat!
They boys are handsome as always

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

It may not be your favorite spinning - but it's gorgeous!!! I love the candy striping when you do it that way.

Denny while still a mischievous puppy seems to have mellowed in your loving environment :)

Anonymous said...

you too, Monika!
Hope there's no remodeling going on over the weekend.....MargieinMaryland

Judy said...

I always use a regular mouse with my laptop, because I hate the pad on the laptop. Try it, you'll like it!

TracyKM said...

LOL---our puppy drank my FIL's warm tea one day too! And, he likes to shred/chew up cardboard. I figure it keeps him busy and isn't hard to clean up. He also likes to chew on the dustpan broom!

Walden said...

That's a great picture of the boys! Denny looks so much bigger in that picture.

The yarn is lovely. I am usually not for barber-pole type yarn, but the colors in that work really well for it.

Congrats on part of it being done, hope the floor guys are much cleaner!

Life's a Stitch said...

I love the feeling of new windows. An expensive outlay, but a secure feeling like a new roof or brakes or tires on the car. The guys who did our windows and doors recenlty did a too good a job of cleaning. They took the doorknob/lock packaging which contained the instructions! Found it online, though.

Gloria Patre said...

I SO totally LOVE this yarn!! Such a wonderful blend of colors! Well done!!