Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day!

my very own "Knitting Art" made by Hannah



To all mothers a happy mother's day! And a wonderful Sunday to all of you! And because all mothers are women:




"Phenomenal Woman"

by Maya Angelou


Pretty women wonder where my secret lies. I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size But when I start to tell them, They think I'm telling lies. I say, It's in the reach of my arms The span of my hips, The stride of my step, The curl of my lips. I'm a woman Phenomenally.


Phenomenal woman, That's me.


I walk into a room Just as cool as you please, And to a man, The fellows stand or Fall down on their knees. Then they swarm around me, A hive of honey bees. I say, It's the fire in my eyes, And the flash of my teeth, The swing in my waist, And the joy in my feet. I'm a woman Phenomenally.


Phenomenal woman, That's me.


Men themselves have wondered What they see in me. They try so much But they can't touch My inner mystery. When I try to show them They say they still can't see. I say, It's the arch of my back, The sun of my smile, The ride of my breasts, The grace of my style. I'm a woman Phenomenally.



Phenomenal woman, That's me.


Now you understand Just why my head's not bowed. I don't shout or jump about Or have to talk real loud. When you see me passing It ought to make you proud. I say, It's in the click of my heels, The bend of my hair, the palm of my hand, The need of my care. 'Cause I'm a woman Phenomenally.


Phenomenal woman, That's me.

10 comments:

Sue J. said...

Happy Mother's Day, Monika. Wonderful poem with so much truth. Thanks for sharing. Give Sam and Biko huge smooches for me.

Dave said...

I really enjoyed this piece! I have the exact person in mind who will receive a copy of this from me! Thanks for sharing!

hakucho said...

Happy Mother's day to you too :)

I LOVE your "Knitting Art" picture by Hannah. I sure hope you find a very special place to display it! My walls are filled with my boys art work ... your picture is so special and I know you will cherish it forever :)

sgeddes said...

Beautiful knitting art!

Happy mother's day!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that posting. It's great!
Gillian

Beverly said...

Happy Mother's Day!

Thanks for posting "Phenomenal Woman". It's one of my favorites and was right on the mark for today.

Strickfimmel said...

Hallo Monika, ich hoffe Du hattest einen schönen Muttertag. Hannah's Geschenk ist wunderschön und sehr persönlich. Tolle Idee und ein sehr schönes Bild.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing these more than beautiful words! I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

meg said...

thanks for the poem and the knitting art is just fabulous!

Anonymous said...

The picture by Hannah is absolutely wonderful! Enjoyed the poem, also.