It's a bit anticlimactic but here it is, the fiber and resulting yarn for my latest Old Forge blanket.
It started with FatCatKnits Fiber Club Famous Couples Romeo & Juliet:
I didn't exactly know what to do with it, but for once I wanted to spin it right away, and not bury it in my stash. I had 5oz of each colorway. After thinking long and hard how to spin it, I decided to make it 3-ply, with one strand of Romeo, one of Juliet, and one strand with some left over orange I had. Which became this yarn:
"So what now? ", I thought. I had to go hunting for some other fiber I could ply the rest with and then I found 10 oz of Corgi Hill Farm Jasper on Falkland (I love Anna Marie's fiber by the way). It was not exactly what I was looking for, but it would have to do, since at that point I didn't have a clue as what I would knit with the yarn anyway.
This fiber was kind of a gradient, from beautiful sunflower yellow to the weirdest greenish/pinkish almost grey. Hm. Well, next up was the yellow one:
and the pinkish one looked like this:
and the greenish one, almost the same:
With that I'd finished off all my 10oz of Romeo and Juliet, and there was only the middle, contrast color to be spun:
Now I had a big pile of handspun yarn, and by then I guess, I'd decided on making Old Forge # 2 with it.
I started to knit, and knit, and knit
and ran out of yarn for the knit on border, so I had to order more Romeo & Juliet fiber from FatCatKnits (thanks Ginny!), but had no more of the Jasper fiber left over. I just added some undyed Falkland as third strand to make it the lightest of all. For the border it would be fitting.
Then I started the knit on border, which is 10 stitches wide. It took me two days of knitting to get as far as the yarn stretched, NOT to the end though. I had to spin up some more, and with this little skein I was able to finally finish it.
And there you have it: the makings of Old Forge # 2.
Wishing you all a wonderful Easter weekend, if you celebrate, and if not, yours should be just as wonderful!