Friday, April 13, 2012

Handspun Friday - Terrestrial

Southern Cross Fibre's March 2012 installment was Terrestrial and Delicate. I've spun up Terrestrial first, waiting for an extra braid of Delicate to arrive with the April shipment. Each month there are two colorways, and I get one of each. That's good, because I'm sure I would love the one I would not get more, and this way, there's no problem for me.

This is Terrestrial: 110gr of Bond wool top

SCF-fiber club March 2012-Bond wool top 110gr-Terrestrial

and this is Delicate: also 110gr Bond wool top
SCF-fiber club March 2012-Bond wool top 110gr-Delicate

Anyway, as I said, I've spun up Terrestrial first into a 3-ply sock yarn. I did two strands of Terrestrial and one strand of grey Corriedale. Here are the bumps before spinning:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

These turned into 360yds of sock yarn:

SCF fiber club-Terrestrial-Bond-3-ply-360yds

I think it's very manly, and a little bit boring, but I still like it. Bond fiber gave me a little trouble at first, but I soon got used to it. I could see the difference on the bobbins, because the first one I spun ran out of singles a lot earlier. I had spun more of the grey Corriedale too, so I had left overs on two bobbins, which made me clear two other bobbins with left overs, to make another 3-ply yarn.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I only got ~ 70 yds of this one, but I really like it a lot. The Pale Aqua of the third strand did a lot for it.
And here they are together:

SCF fiber club-Terrestrial-Bond-3-ply-360yds & left over braid

Wishing you all a wonderful, lazy weekend!

Untitled
Denny & Maggie

Untitled
Denny & Maggie

***

8 comments:

Anna M said...

Love the sleepy puppy shots. It is the sunbeam nap attack. We get that here too.

... Bimbi said...

I am absolutely amazed at the finished result of your spinning. So reliably even!
I started spinning last Autumn, but have never yet had a result like that. How long have you been at this?
Bimbi x

Beverly said...

Hope you have a great weekend too.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Lovely - but I want to see that delicate spun-up!

Rhonda said...

Those are gorgeous again, of course. I'm so envious.

2paw said...

Beautiful spinning, and lovely sleepy pups. I like the way that they are so interchangeable in pairs: Happy and Denny, Happy and Maggie, Denny and Maggie: every combination!!

Lorraine said...

Monika- I like your shopping philosophy- my fiber fast hasn't been too successful.

Monica Bush said...

Do you ever sell the yarn you spin? They are beautiful!