Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Platochek

Between December 31 and January 22, I've been test knitting 4 different designs, from 4 different designers. This one is called Platochek, which means kerchief, designed by Diana Rozenshteyn.

test knit- Platocheck

This is an extremely simple design to knit, but the stitch pattern of the main body is charming.

test knit- Platocheck

The edge was supposed to be garter stitch, but I wanted something else, and just improvised, and hoped for the best.

test knit- Platocheck

The yarn might look like a solid color, but it's really not. It's Wandering Cat Yarns Alley Cat Falkland, in the colorway Cinnamon stick. I love it!

test knit- Platocheck

This little shawl practically flew off the needles. I used 3.25mm needles, and after blocking it was 25inches x 60 inches.

***

So, what else is going on. The other day, it was raining all day, melting away left over snow, and making our back yard into an ice rink in the evening. After it had stopped raining, I watched the dogs slide around for a while, finally doing their business.

Later on, when they were inside, I had grabbed a flashlight, bag, and pick up tool to go and get the poop, thinking I was safe with my big snow boots on. Well, they are called snow boots for a reason. I did get two out of three, before I found myself in a pickle. I had been moving gingerly forward, slip sliding, but about one meter before my last goal I had nowhere to go. Suddenly I was on a slope, and not a single step was safe to make.

Now what?

First I chided myself for getting into this situation (very helpful). Then I weight my options. I could try to make a step and undoubtedly fall. I could get down on all fours, and try crawling up the slop to a safer ground. But, option # 3 was the easiest.
I took the flashlight and pointed it to the window I knew my son was behind. I didn't exactly flash S.O.S. but he quickly realized that I wanted something from him. University education paying off, YES!

I asked him to throw me a rope (very dramatic), but also giggling by then. Well, who has a rope handy when one needs one? He used to play hockey, so I guess he felt quite comfortable sliding up to me, and pulling me to safety, where I could slip slide on my own out of my predicament.
Jeez, I felt so foolish, and all that thanks to Happy, who chose a spot he never goes to, to do his business.
***

And last night! It was after dark, we went outside to let the gang rumble. Shortly after though, I thought I smelled skunk. What? Never had skunk around at this time of year before. Well, Denny smelled him too, and ran up to a spot at the fence, hackles up. He came when I called though, thank goodness. We hurried them inside, not wanting to experience a re-run of being skunked. A little later we saw a big fat skunk out front. What a way to make an entrance, when one can be smelled so far in advance.
I hope he moves on quickly, at least a few houses down the road. We've seen him hanging around for a while now.

***
And of course it's not a post without a picture (or two) of the pups. While I've been spinning:
Jan.23

They get quite bored, and sleepy. (It's not often that they use the sofa all together. It's mostly two on, one off.)

Jan.23

Oh and Denny was hilarious, but that's a story for another time....

***

20 comments:

Ina said...

ein schönes Tuch ist da fertig geworden. Die 3 auf dem Sofa sind wirklich der Hit...sehr entspannt.
Liebe Grüße
Ina

Madam Butterfly said...

Beautiful shawl!

Freyalyn said...

I love them all on the sofa, watching you doing strange things with wool! (Which is what my lot think I do).

CelticCastOn said...

I love this shawl it looks beautiful with the edging you chose.
lol at your predicament, then happen here more often than not :)

Herta Haunschmid /quer durchs leben said...

Monika das Tuch ist voll schön geworden.
LG aus dem frisch verschneiten Freistadt.
Herta

Lorraine said...

Monika- Kids do come in handy sometimes.

monica said...

Beautiful shawl!! I'm glad you were able to get out of your predicament! And that your son's university education really paid off. :)

I love the Denny sandwich on the sofa. The pups are so adorable as always.

Andi said...

:) love your ice story adventure, that made me smile.
That shawl is just breathtaking and those colors are just amazing.
Of course pics of the pups, always the best!

wanderrast said...

Dein Tuch sieht so luftig leicht aus. In dieser Farbe wunderschön.
Eine Frage, was machst du mit all diesen Tüchern?
Verschenkst du sie, verkaufst du sie?
Liebe Grüße Elfi

Redberry Cottage said...

The shawl is very nice. Fortunately for us we have never come across a skunk. Do they smell bad before they spray an enemy? I glad you knew it was a skunk before the pups got involved. Have a good day.
Nina, Myshka, Sasha, Betsy, Lucy, Phoebe and Lily

knottygnome said...

what a sweet little shawl. very pretty!

Diana said...

Beautiful shawl Monica :-)) Thank you so much for helping me out with test knitting :-))

Sharon said...

I think your idea to not make a garter stitch hem was a very good one.

Your ice 'dilemma' is the reason why I'm going to get one of those buttons to wear around my neck! LOL

Pooped out pups on a sofa, there should be theme music for that.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Love the shawl.
And of course, the pups on the couch together is so cute! Maggie and Happy look like book ends! At least when all my cats are on the same couch - there's still a seat left for me!

Beverly said...

I saw this on Ravelry as usual. Gorgeous combination of color and pattern. I can't wait to see all of the other test knits.

Mr. Puffy said...

That Denny sure knows where to sit to maximize his cuddling - too cute!

Your new shawl is pretty and charming! I love the circles ~ very mesmerizing :)

And of your dramatic rescue had me laughing - LOL Your son is a gem :)

Carrie#K said...

I love the openwork of the shawl, your edging is perfect for it.

Yay for your quickthinking son! Even if the idea of him pulling you to safety with that rope makes me giggle.

Ah, the pups are so darling. Denny is set off nicely by his book-end siblings.

2paw said...

I think the new shawl is just lovely and the pattern so cute!! I am very glad you were rescued in time before you fell into the pooh!! Those three loo so cute on the couch with all their funny ears and lovely expressions!! It's a wonder they all fit, it must be a good couch!!

Virginia G said...

:D Love that story about getting stuck. So resourceful to get your son's attention.

Mary said...

Beautiful shawl, I will have to check out that pattern. thanks for sharing...