Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Morse Mitts

Susan asked me if I would test knit these mittens for her, and of course I said YES!

Morse mitts finished

I think this is a great idea, using Morse code to "write" on your mittens. I made the small size, which spells "Anastasia". Size L and M have their own word. You can make up your very own word if you like too, because the pattern gives you the alphabet in morse code. Really cool!

Morse mitts finished

I made size S so they would fit Hannah, and she said she liked them very much, when I sent her a picture of them.
What's not in the pattern is the contrast yarn for cast on. I was just trying out some different things. The right mitten looks better I think.

pattern: Morse Mitts by Susan Mehringer
yarn: Jojoland Wool Yarn Fingering Solids (almost solid, the color does go from light to darker)
needles: 2.25mm & 2.5mm
size: S

But you know what? As if it was not enough to be test knitting these mittens, look what was in the mail yesterday!

Wollmeise-sw Merino-We're different-150g-574yds-gift from Susan for test knitting

That's right! Get green around your noses, because Susan sent me this Wollmeise yarn as a thank you gift! In GREEN! My favorite color! (O.K. she asked me what color I'd like). :o)

THANK YOU, SUSAN!

Oh boy, that will be such a treat to knit with this Wollmeise. I think I already know which pattern it will be, but it's not released yet.

***

In case you are wondering, Maggie is back to her usual self. No limping whatsoever! You should have seen her last night, doing the puppy run, bouncing off the sofa backs, and jumping around like a monkey. It's a wonder she does not hurt herself more often. This dog seriously needs a chill pill! When the boys are sleeping, exhausted from playing, Maggie still has energy left, to play on her own with chew toys, rolling on her back and holding them with her front paws. Sweet to look at. Thanks for all your well wishes!
***

12 comments:

CelticCastOn said...

Lovely mitts! Wollmeise! You lucky thing you!
Glad you hear miss Maggie is back to her boucy old self!

Cambria said...

Wow! What a fantastic gift. I have 2 skeins of Wollmeise in the red-orange colorway and I can't even begin to tell you what I had to go through to get my hands on them. I still haven't knit with mine, because then I won't have them anymore, lol. Can't wait to see what you do with yours :)

2paw said...

Those mittens are so clever!! I once wrote 'Neil' on my friend's beanie in binary code. The green is beautiful. I'm impatient to see what wonderful thing you will knit!!
So glad that Maggie is feeling well. They do have boundless energy. When Peri is sleeping, Gilly plays games lie that too, running about with her toys!!

wanderrast said...

Eine tolle Geschichte - Testknitter - und eine Wollmeise - alle Wünsche erfüllt:-)! liebe Grüße Elfi

knottygnome said...

lovely mittens and yay for wollmeise!

Claudia Bugh said...

What a clever idea! I like the CO edge on the right best too :)

Love the green yarn - wonder what pattern you have in mind! I'm getting close to finishing a shawl and am beginning to savor the prospect of the next one - ha - LOL

Soooo glad to hear Maggie is all healed up. Simcha once sprained his right front paw and it took about a week for it to get better too.

Michelle said...

Cute mittens. I have that same Wollmeise color but it's not at all my favorite. Glad Maggie is doing better!

kathy b said...

Unbelievably cute and intricate. Wowza!

Sharon said...

Such good news you have. Maggie is healed as if by magic, and your mittens are so cheery and they make a great gift.

This year I think I'll stick to mittens instead of socks. (I need to make socks for myself!)

Bea said...

Die kommen gut, die Handschuhe. Aber was steht denn nun drin in deinem Morsecode?

Grüßle, die Bea

monica said...

I love those mitts!! I am so glad Maggie is back to her normal self!

hakucho said...

Morse code on mittens...that is very cool!