Friday, November 18, 2011

Handspun Friday - Joshua Tree

Ginny of FatCatKnits has got a competitor in Anna Marie of Corgi Hill Farms, in my favorite dyer spot in my heart.

This is Joshua Tree on Merino/Tussah Silk.

Corgi Hill Farm-80Merino-20Tussah Silk-5oz-Joshua Tree I

I turned it into 2-ply yarn, with 565yds from 4.7oz. I had only about 4 inches of singles left on one bobbin when I was done. That's just great! The colors didn't line up as I would have liked, but that's not so easy to accomplish when doing 2-ply yarn. But I didn't want to chain ply, and loose a lot of yardage. I quite like how it turned out.

Corgi Hill Farm-merino-tussah silk-4.7oz-2-ply-565yds

Corgi Hill Farm-merino-tussah silk-4.7oz-2-ply-565yds

This took me much longer to spin than it should have. The reason was, that I was avoiding the wheel, and fiber waiting, because it was hard to work with. Even after pre-drafting it the fibers stuck to each other, especially where the darker colors were, but not exclusively. I know that can happen, and I love the colors too much to give up on Anna Marie's fiber, in fact there are a few braids waiting to be spun already. Like this one:

Corgi Hill Farm-merino-tussah 80-20-5oz0Blueberry Bread Pudding 2

They are very different from Ginny's dyed fiber, and so I will enjoy spinning their fiber however the mood will strike me.

I've also made another yarn purchase, since the girls of Wandering Cat Yarns were having a shop update on my birthday.

Wandering Cat Yarns from Nov. 11 update

Really pretty yarn. As soon as I know what patterns I will knit with them, I'd like to cast on.

***
Happy

And I'm wishing you a wonderful weekend ahead, with a picture of my beautiful boy Happy, who's hoping to get me to go play with him. With that face, and those lovely brown eyes, he never has to wait for long.

***


16 comments:

illusions said...

Hey!Yippee! I am first today it seems...love your stash. With those soulful eyes who can blame you! Go fetch!

BryndĂ­s said...

Oh my, what a lovely colors! And a cute dog :) Have a nice weekend.

Paula said...

I've been lurking around your blog for a long time. Love the dogs, admire your spinning talent. Joined my first FCK fiber club because of you. Would you place a coin or pencil or something in one of your yarn pics or say the WPI? I'm trying to be you.

2paw said...

Every Handspun Friday I am amazed at the beautiful colours and the yarn you create.
I know, how can you resist those eyes?? And that gaze. I'm a push over too!!! I hope you all have a lovely weekend.

CelticCastOn said...

You had to mention the S word on flickr didn't you. I woke up this morning to everything completely covered in it!!!!

I looove the blue in your Joshua's Tree yarn, its delic!

Happy boy you are so sweet, I would turn to mush too if you looked at me with those beautiful eyes!

momsue84 said...

Lovely handspun, Monika! And such a nice stash enhancement from Wandering Cat. It's snowing hard here. 4" and counting. Milo and I can't wait to go outside. I fear the weekend will be spent indoors, mostly. But, that just means more knitting!! Happy weekend!

Chery said...

WOW! I love how your yarn turned out. Have a good weekend, too.

monica said...

I could never resist such a cute face either. And also gorgeous yarn!!

Rhonda said...

I never get tired of looking at your handspun. Someday, I'd love to give it a try.
Oh, and I never get tired of looking at those furry faces.

Sharon said...

Every picture on your blog today was beautiful, including (but not limited to) your handsome boy, Happy.

Enjoy your weekend.

Mr. Puffy said...

Happy is such a sweet boy ~

Your spinning is really beautiful and that fiber is a perfect compliment to your skills.

Love your birthday yarn splurge :)

Andi said...

I so want to smooch Happy's beautiful face!
That yarn has some serious drool factor, but then again everything you spin has that affect on me. :)
Have a wonderful weekend!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

You definitely can't ignore that face!

Walden said...

Wow, that Joshua tree turned out wonderfully!

EGunn said...

It would be hard not to love those colors (or that face). I know how it is to be avoiding the wheel (just finished one of those slightly sticky projects myself), but it was definitely worth it in the end!

Knatolee said...

Happy is so handsome! Love the handspun.