Thursday, July 26, 2007

Chelsea Tote Bag!

I'm so in Lo-ha-ha-ve with this tote bag! A while ago I ordered the Amy Butler "Chelsea Bags" pattern, and now with my new found freedom to do whatever I please, I got the sewing machine out and got going. To tell you the truth, after I cut out the pattern and the fabric pieces, I had to step away from the project. Such was the aversion to sewing. After a couple of hours I went back, sucked it up and - voila! I'm glad I made the tote bag first, because for some reason, the sewing machine was backed away faster than you can say 'needle'. I wanted to make the handbag too, but I guess this is for another time. As I said, I love the finished bag. It looks quite simple, but came with an overwhelming sheet of instruction. I guessed that it was not as bad as it seemed, and I was right.
There was supposed to be an interface behind the exterior fabric, but since it's a very stiff linen kind of fabric, and I didn't find the one mentioned in the pattern, I just left it out. The bag will not stand up on its one like this, but it doesn't have to! ;o)
It's reversible, but I will use it only like this. A need feature is the false bottom, very cute.

My little pewter brooch sheep grassing all by itself.


I always wanted to use my winning swatch for an addition for a bag, and this seemed the perfect opportunity to use it. It was easy to sew it on with the sewing machine. I had my doubts about it, but just went for it. It's a bit of a rush rush work, but I didn't want to THINK, because I would have run away from the sewing machine again, so I had to get going and stick to it.


Very interesting and clever is the construction of the bottom. I loved it. I've never done this before, and it worked out so beautifully.



It could be a knitting bag, of course, but doesn't have to be. The cup is there for size reference. Oh, the bag is 4" deep, 10" wide, and 15" high. It's perfect! I got the pattern here: Cia's Palette. They have real nice fabric too, but I didn't buy any.

The back side is not very interesting. This linen fabric is so stiff, not even steam ironing helped get the creases out.
And what's that now? What's in the bag you ask? Why the yarn for my next knitting project of course! More about that later.

I'm very excited right now, and all over the place with projects I'd like to do, and have already done. Today, I've knit a hat with my hand spun yarn. But that's a different post. I made some connections for some more mini sock key chains. I tell you, bead work is NOT for me! I've been spinning as well, and knitting, and ... oh, you'll see! ;o)

26 comments:

hakucho said...

Beautiful tote bag with the added knitted touch :) I love that style of bag with the handles being part of the bag. Very nice work :)

happy sewing and knitting :)

shannon said...

such a great bag! where did you find the pattern? i'd love to order one!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful bag, and a great idea to use your winning swatch. I love the lining, and it's such a great size.

Thanks for all the details about the pattern, makes me want to make one now.

Kat said...

Wow, that looks awesome!! You did a superb job, even if you did have to run away from the sewing machine a few times.

You'd faint if you saw my fabric collection. ;-)

Devonshire said...

That bag looks fabrictastic! Amy butler has great designs and I especially love your added knitted pocket and the sheep is too cute.

Anonymous said...

I love the way you have highlighted your swatch, with a bag!! It looks great. Sewing is usually much faster for me than knitting. I really can whip something up quickly when I sew!!!

Cloudberry said...

Great bag - love the sheep :)
Have a great weekend!

Debi said...

I love the new bag and the swatch and lambie make it beyond perfect :)

Elemmaciltur said...

Since I don't know how to sew, the only thing I could say here is: WOW! Especially the knitted pouch! Love the stitch pattern!

Anonymous said...

Very nice bag and quite intriguing yarn inside it! You are teasing us!
(I know what you mean about the sewing machine...I stepped away from the quilt for a few days and have never gone back!)

sgeddes said...

What a cleaver idea! I've been wantign to haul my sewing machine out and try to make a bag - I think you have just pushed me over the edge.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful bag! I love the swatch-as-pocket idea! That yarn looks like Karaoke.

Teresa said...

What a nice bag! I love the color of the knitted swatch. I also like the little sheepy. My sewing machine has been sitting in the corner of my closet wanting me to sew with it. But I need some nice fabrics first. Wow..I need a whole room for my crafts.

Bea said...

The bag is beautiful! And I love the knitted panel, the color and the stitch pattern is perfect for it. I'm also intrigued by the lovely yarn in the bag!

Herdis said...

This is amazingly beautiful!

Shirley said...

What a great bag and such a good idea to add the knitting swatch to it. I've wanted to knit myself a bag but haven't because I thought that it would be too soft. This is such a better idea.

Mariella said...

What a great job you did on that bag! Love the knitted swatch idea.
And thanks for the link to where you bought the pattern. I see they come in two sizes - cool!

Anonymous said...

love the bag, is that noro yarn??? hummm what are you up to next :)

Strickfimmel said...

Mann, was sieht die Tasche gut aus! Das war von Dir eines Superidee das gestrickte Musterstück mitzuverarbeiten. Das gibt der Tasche erst mal den richtigen Pfiff. Tolle Arbeit!!
Auch Deine neu gesponnene erdbeerfarbene Wolle gefällt mir ausgesprochen gut.

Heike said...

Hallo liebe Monika,
Du hast echt immer tolle Ideen! Eine super Tasche ist das und dann noch grüüüün!!

Ein schönes Wochenende wünscht Dir Heike

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

I love it! It looks great and congrats on sticking with the sewing!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it!!!!!

Kris B said...

I love how you used the swatch on the bag. I also like that cup you have in the picture. It's given me some ideas on how I want to paint my next pottery cup.

Unknown said...

Love the tote, may have to invest in that pattern sometime. I especially LOVE the knitted swatch you added to it, that just totally sets if off

Anonymous said...

I love your tote bag. I don't know how to sew. I mean, I understand the general concept but I just never got into it. Good for you though! Beautiful job. Great pictures too.

Knitting is my true obsession. Hope you are doing well.

Violiknit said...

Fantastic tote! The colors of that award-winning swatch are so vibrant, it's jumping off my computer screen!