Thursday, June 21, 2007

I've got a lot to show you!

Summer is here! Lets celebrate!



Yesterday was the perfect day for me. Home alone, dogs by my feet, no cleaning or other stuff to do, but a visit to the library (the post office as well, I was late sending off the books). Anyway, the temperatures were exactly as I like them, with a little stir in the air. Heaven! The doggies tired at my feet, as I was sitting on the balcony, knitting and now and again, looking at the wet ugly roving hanging off the laundry stand. I had some fresh brewed tea and the phone within reach, with knitting in my hands. Does that sound like a vacation day to you? Well it is for me. And ... Let me tell you that wet roving looks nothing like dry roving! At first I thought I've ruined it, but after a day in the sun, plus a steady breeze the roving buffed up and surprised the hell out of me! Both are Corriedale, 4 oz each. The one on top was actually the second one I dyed. I put black and fire red with a dash of yellow in the pot and stirred. In came the (not pre-soaked) roving, gently pushed under. I don't know if you can see that there are some really dark, black places and some lighter ones. I ADORE almost solid colors. This will be a joy to spin. The color is nothing I would choose if I'm on the lookout to buy painted roving, but since I'm dabbling, it's O.K. I'm thinking this might be a pair of socks, with black heels and toes some day.

Below was my first try, but I put the roving in first and sprinkled some color on. Let's say the outcome is exactly as I wanted (but I'm lying). ;o) This will be interesting to spin. Can't wait to see how this turns out. Since my fear, that I had screwed this up, was not confirmed, I will continue to cook up some other colors. I've still got some white roving, possible Corriedale as well in my box. It's also the perfect weather for dyeing.


Isn't my "Golden Rod" BFL single lovely? I'm loving it of course, such nice colors. It's waiting for it's mate, so they can entangle tightly to become gorgeous yarn. It's a full bobbin with over 3oz. I've got big plans for it! ;o)






# 31-40

and

# 32-40
I like both of these squares. And the best part? Only 8 more to go! Yeah!




And now, I do apologize for being such a baby and getting all whiny about this cardigan. After finishing up the squares for this week, I decided to suck it up and be a grown up. The left front was already at the armhole, so I finished that too. Now there are 2 sleeves left. They are 3/4 sleeves, that's good news. I will finish this as soon as possible, so I can enjoy knitting again. The stitch pattern is already imprinted on my brain. I can do it in my sleep, but I hope not. Although that would be kind of nice, waking up one morning to find it done. ;o) The third skein of the Louet yarn was flawless, no knots or weird parts whatsoever.



edited: I've updated the Readers Gallery. New Sakura shawl to be seen!

22 comments:

sweetfigs said...

Your dye experiments are turning out wonderful! I especially like the dark red yarn in the top picture.

Larry said...

It's going to be such fun to see how those two rovings come out. I personally like the first one better, probably because of all the different colours you've used.

Margaret said...

Your rovings look great! I love the plummy one best. The variegated may surprise you in how it spins up and you may find you like it a lot better. And the goldenrod is perfect for the first day of Summer.

hakucho said...

Your rovings look wonderful. I'm sure all of them will be fine but I guess I have to agree with everyone else. The reddish one is divine...very rich color :)
Now that I'm learning all about joining...I'm wondering how you are going to put all your squares together?? Are going to knit them together??
The cardi is looks great...You'll be finished in no time!

hapy knitting and spinning :)

shannon said...

the cardigan will be done before you know it. it really is lovely.

can't wait to see how your dyed roving spins up, too. :)

Elinor said...

Oh man, that cardigan looks so beautiful!! It's hard to beat the richness of Louet's colors! Happy seaming!

Teresa said...

The cardigan is beautiful. Once she's done you'll feel so much better. I'm at that stage too with this shirt and shawl I'm knitting. I'm dying for something that brings me instant gratification.

Your rovings are gorgeous!I actually do like the bottom one. I've had a sample roving that was all yellow with green, blue and burgundy in it. I loved it!

And..yes..that does sound like a vacation! Oh how does that ever sound like a vacation. I've got two little ones, so I can't even go to the bathroom alone!:D

Tracy Purtscher said...

Love it all!!! I'm always surprised by pix of dyed rovings. After they are spun they NEVER look like I expected them to, well almost never. I really like the red/black one and that is pretty easy figure out what it will look like. The other one....with the white patches...those white patches always throw me for a loop. A roving like that consistently surprises me in a good way. I bet it will be lots of fun to spin and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Tracy Purtscher said...

Oops meant to add....
Yeah only sleeves left to do...you'll breeze right through those! Are you going to them both at the same times? I'm thinking that might be a good idea. :-P

Anonymous said...

I gotta tell you - I LOVE that red cardigan!! Come on sleeves....
PS - the roving is cool too - I can sort of guess what the 1st might look like, but the 2nd will be a true yarn surprise!

Anonymous said...

I love the dark red, it's beautiful.

Your almost there on the sweater, you can do it!!

sgeddes said...

Love the roving pictures.

I'm really excited about your blanket and seeihng all these wonderful squares. I can't wait to see it all complete.

Kris B said...

Wow, you do have a lot to show. The dye experiments look awesome. I also can hardly wait to see how they spin up. I keep thinking of sunflowers when I see the golden rod BFL. I know I should be thinking golden rod but my neighbor has some sunflowers in there yard so sunflowers are on my mind.

Your will power to stick to your goals is amazing. The squares and cardigan are moving right along.

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

love that first one! it reminds me of raspberry sherbet.

Carol said...

Even if you don't quite like the finished, spun up product, you can always over-dye it! Experiment away. I'll be watching most interestedly.

T-Mom said...

You're so talented! I can't wait to see how your rovings spin up.

(And yes, btw, it sounds like a vacation to me.)

Good girl on the cardi. You'll feel soooooo much better and so relieved once you get it finished, not to mention how happy the person you're making it for will be.

Life's a Stitch said...

The book arrived today - thank you so much. What a treat! I'm hoping some sunshine was included in the envelope,
Li

Frieda said...

I think your roving looks great. I especially like the pinkish / purple one . It should knit up nicely . Can't wait to see what you do with it. Have a good weekend !

Violiknit said...

Your dyed rovings look so professional! Wow! The goldenrod is beautiful as well - can't wait to see what it becomes. That cardi is so gorgeous and I'm totally in love with that color!

mangomilch said...

Hallo Monika,

vielleicht sollte ich auch mal meine Kardenbänder färben, dann ginge das Spinnen sicher viel leichter von der Hand! Ich spinne gerade ein Kilo (mein zweites ganzes) braune Irische oder so und es ist sooo langweilig, zumal ich sie zum Schluss eh färben muss, weil ich naturbraun nicht trage...

Von daher: Super Idee. Und das dunkelrot-changierende ist sehr schön geworden! Man könnte es ja dann mit etwas schwarz oder so verzwirnen, falls es dir doch zu knallig ist...

:)

Ich brauch wohl doch bunte Wolle!

Liebe Grüße aus Leipzig.

Anonymous said...

Wow, these rovings look fascinating - the colors are so inspiring and rich and beautiful - especially the plum colored one!
And what a great cardi this is going to be - looking forward to seeing it all finished in all its glory!

Micky said...

Sounds like a really great day.
:)