Thursday, June 07, 2007

I'm a Squirrel!

My son called me a squirrel! Pictures of stash are not my favorites, more so if they are mine. They remind me of how much yarn I have, which is totally a good thing, but they give me also some form of guilty conscience. Now, what you see here are two spanking new boxes with lids. On the left there is my fiber stash (not all of it, since the 4 lbs of BFL would have filled it on its own). To the right is mainly sock yarn, some lace yarns and odds and ends. This I had stashed away in the living room, which was called fibre room (by me). That's not all I've got. Just from ONE room! I was getting claustrophobic and disorganized. I don't like packing away my yarn, but the chance of me knitting so many socks in the near future are Nil. I kept yarn for one pair of socks with me, because as soon as I allow myself to knit socks again, I will knit up some Panda Wool (BTW, the Panda Wool balls don't only look small, I've just read the label and they've got only 170 yds each ball. Are they copying Koigu? What's up with that? I'm walking on size 11 here!) Anyway, that's something to worry about when I get there. Where was I? Oh, yeah, there is still some space for my lichen merino/silk roving, which is in the computer room. And - I have to admit there's some gorgeous roving on its way to me. My fingers had a little stoll on the eBay promenade. I guess I'll have to get some more boxes. I didn't think spinning would be so slow, since in the very beginning, the samples seemed to disappear with only a blink of an eye.

All right! That said, I 've got to put some cute pictures up as well. We've got another black sheep in the family! And this white one, is no Daisy either! ;o)



Yesterday, I went to the Library to check out a certain book, which I didn't find. Instead I checked out three other books, to be returned within 7 days, renewal not possible. So for the rest of the day and the evening I was reading. Not a single stitch knitted. I did however pull the 2 oz of roving into stripes and ready to be spun. Which I will do right after this (not all of it though). It was a great pleasure to immerse myself in a book again. It was a nice one too. Love me some Mysteries!

18 comments:

Frieda said...

Aww , such cute little sheep ! Isn't it amazing how quickly the stash accumulates , especially sock yarn .You only buy one or two balls at a time , so it doesn't really show until you put it all in one place .It's the same with laceweight yarns - and ebay and the internet are lethal , you forget about till it shows up at your door . Enjoy your break from knitting .

Teresa said...

Ooo nice fiber! I keep a nice shelf in the living room filled with yarn I use on hand. I just keep my fiber box in my room seeing as my cat loves it and thinks it's a 2 foot thick mattress just for him. I love spinning lace weight yarn, except it takes forever and I only have two drop spindles.

I love mysteries too..but I confess, I love a good romance. :D

Susanne said...

Liebe Monika,
Deine Garnsammlung ist ja wirklich toll. Besonders mag ich aber Deine kürzlich gezeigten selbstgesponnenen Garne. Wundervolle Farben wie ich finde, vor allem gefällt mir die Zweifarbigkeit der miteinander versponnenen Fäden. Da bin ich sehr gespannt, was Du daraus zaubern wirst. Welche Stärke haben die handgesponnenen Fäden? Sieht ziemlich kräftig aus, so in Richtung 5-6mm Nadeln. Wären toll für Schals zu Weihnachten z.B. Ach, ich hätte schon gleich mehrere Ideen für die schönen Farben...
Es war wieder ein netter Besuch bei Dir.
Bis bald
Susanne

Anonymous said...

I just went and checked out my leftovers from the Panda Wool socks - only 12 grams - and my feet are size 7 SO....maybe you better try toe up!!!

Anonymous said...

Which book were you looking for? What mystery are you reading? I love mysteries.

I first saw your title and thought "That's not a squirrel, it's a sheep!" duh....

Kris B said...

Well, I pulled all my knitting fiber stuff out about two weeks ago to put it all in bins. I filled up the three bins I had and decided to put what was left back where I found it. What I realized when I did this is that I have more sock yarn then other yarns and I have more roving then yarn. I think I need to stop buying sock yarn and spin more.

Your sheep are adorable.

hakucho said...

Every now and then it's good to take inventory of what we have accumulated. I know I'm not happy unless I have plenty stashed away! Think how awful it would be to finish one project and not have any thing to knit with...gives me nightmares. ha ha :)

kathy b said...

Oh so cute the animals you've shared. stash guilt.....ewwww

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain - I took out my sock yarn the other day and found enough for 90 - yes 90! pairs eeeeeek!!!

Anonymous said...

cute little sheep. Yarn stash grows so quickly, you blink and it doubles!

Anonymous said...

I love mysteries too! Dorothy Sayers is my favorite.

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

What cute sheep! Does it help if others are jealous of your stash? I mean if it's really bothering you I'm sure someone would be willing to take it off your hands :)

Anonymous said...

What a cutie sheepie, and woah, now that's quite an amount of great fiber! yay for that!

Anonymous said...

awww what cute sheepies I love them!!!
I'd just love to dig my head into your stash like an ostrich with its head in the sand :)

Devonshire said...

Those sheep are so cute! And I thought Sock yarn was not considered stash? LOL Hope you are well and that your spinning is going wonderfully.

Debi said...

I have 3 colors of panda wool in the stash and I got 3 skeins each - I didn't want the stress of running out! Since the yarn is new if you go back to/contact the vendor where you got it, you can probably still get your dye lot!

T-Mom said...

*lol* I love stash photos! So many beautiful yarns, so little time! You have some beautiful stuff; I would love to sit and fondle it!

Violiknit said...

Cute sheep, and nice stashing! My stashes (yes, plural), are like the elephant in the room everyone is ignoring...