Thursday, August 03, 2006

Diamond Chevron Scarf

I was twiddling my thumbs the other day, thinking of what to knit next, when the Creative Knitting Magazine came flying in. I knew that there was a pattern for a multidirectional scarf in there and I've been waiting for it (impatiently).

As soon as I saw the pictures of the scarf, I went and put the Silk Rhapsody I've won back in May on my ball winder. I had some concerns of winding it on this contraption because of some bad experiences I've read about. But Judy from fabulousyarn.com said she didn't have a problem. Everything went fine, no hitches at all. This yarn is pure silk with another strand of mohair/silk running as a seperate strand and the possibility of a fiasco were great.



Here you can see the middle part, the triangles and the two diamonds. You might be able to see the shinyness of the yarn. That's one thing I can't show you, really. You have to touch this knitted fabric. It's so soft and a little fuzzy from the mohair. It's the most luxurious yarn I've used so far. Wish one could afford to knit only with Silk.

click pictures

Here's the beginning. Unfortuantely the yarn did more pooling than stripping, which would have brought out the chevrons more clearly. I'll be trying this pattern with another yarn again soon, just to get the chevrons part more clearly.

Here are the specifics:

pattern: Diamond Chevron Scarf by Iris Schreier in the Creative Knitting Magazine September 2006

yarn: Artyarns Silk Rhapsody 100% Silk, 70% mohair/30% silk, 1 skein, 100 gr, 260 yds

4.5mm needles

size: 5' x 50"

14 comments:

Strickfimmel said...

Hallo Monika,
wie strickt man das Muster?? Das sieht ja wirklich toll und ausgefallen aus!
Gruß Sybille

Midnight Purls said...

Love the scarf. I have a single skein of Rhapsody laying around. I might just have to buy that issue as well!

Melissa said...

I really like the scarf. Very nice.

babette said...

Beautiful yarn, beautiful color, beautiful pattern! I just Love it!!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely scarf, and the yarn looks really nice!!!!

judith said...

Hallo Monika,
der Schal sieht wirklich toll aus! Den Hundeanhaenger habe ich mir uebrigens aus Paris mitgebracht, das Maeppchen ist also international;-)

Anonymous said...

Hallo Monika,
das sieht ja edel aus! Wow! Bei Dir gibt es immer Einzigartiges zu sehen.
Hat Sam keine Lust mehr zu modeln??

Anonymous said...

This shawl looks totally elegant, fantastic work!

Mariella said...

Beautiful scarf! Haven't seen the latest issue of Creative Knitting around here - must check it out!

Abigail said...

Wow, that scarf is amazing. I think the pooling compliments the pattern.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous scarf!

Anonymous said...

Since you've completed yours, Monika, I would love you advice. I was stumped by the directions for Step 4 (after having thought Step 1 was difficult), so I have that side on circular needles for now. Then I started on theother side for Step 2 and I've got a great big hole. Any thoughts? I'm also using Silk Rhapsody. Thanks. Debbie

Monika said...

Debbie, I had a hole in the middle too. I closed it when I wove in the ends. If I had known about the hole before hand, I would have left a longer end. As far as I could see on the yahoo group everybody has the hole problem and is dealing with it as best they can. The end diamonds are nothing special. Just follow the pattern only in the last row (nest row on page 51) it says Sl1, k3 inc, ke ssk, k4,p1. Replace the k4 with k3, it's a printing mistake. Youd didn't do anything wrong if you only have 3 sts to knit there. If you let me know what your specific problem with the diamond is, I'll try to help you. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

HI,
I'm trying to find out where to buy this pattern. Can you tell me.
Thanks,
Kathy